[COMPLETE] The Ladies' Paradise by Emile Zola - phil

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

Kristingj wrote:We'll ad it to the end and call it afterword, then people can listen if they want to.
:thumbs: And you will certainly record it, so we don't have to change 34 Intros to include the long disclaimer of a group project. I will add that section to the MW.
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Note: Michele and I have been PM'ing back and forth the last week and we are moving forward, just to let you know;)

EDIT: I meant I've been sending her files, edits are happening and so on
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Best of news! I found the original text and we are going to use that. No intro required!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Kristin,
PL Notes Sections 20-24
Checker gave me these warnings on all 5, so please check your settings before you proceed.

"The bit rate should be 128 kbps. The recording should use a constant bit rate rather than variable bit rate (VBR).
Audio Format
LibriVox uses a specific audio format for its files: mono sound, 44.1 Khz 16-bit audio, encoded in the MP3 format at a constant 128 kbps bit rate. Although there are a lot of technical terms there, you don't need to understand them to create valid files. All you need to know is how to tell your audio editing software to use these settings. See the Wiki article below for step-by-step help."

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Tech_Specs)

After spot PL'ing each file, I exported again with the correct bit rate and uploaded. 20-24 are now PL OK. I also adjusted the volumes a bit to make them more consistent. Good job catching up . . . and I find the story is still exciting, the project still motivates me, and doing my first collaborative project as an editor is quite an interesting challenge! :D

And "we" are now on 25! Only 10 to go.
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Huh... that's so wierd. Though, I had to reinstall audacity, and I didn't actually think to check the settings. Obs :oops:
But also, yay! The next chapters should be coming tomorrow or Sunday. (At which point I will have a new sound card and a cloudlifter :D )
Kristin

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I'll just wait for someone to stick the finished files in the MW, then I'll know they are ready for final PL. I'll ignore everything else as "editing chat"! ;)

(Phil, I think Section 35 can be deleted after all, as we are going back to the original text and therefore won't be doing any extra intro/afterword.)
msfry

Post by msfry »

Elizabby wrote:I'll just wait for someone to stick the finished files in the MW, then I'll know they are ready for final PL. I'll ignore everything else as "editing chat"! ;)

(Phil, I think Section 35 can be deleted after all, as we are going back to the original text and therefore won't be doing any extra intro/afterword.)
Kristin and I are working through a bit of slag to catch up after a long hiatus, and I'll ask you to commence PL'ing at section 25. Otherwise, not intending to offend, but please let me BC my own project.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Sorry, just trying to be helpful. I don't feel like I'm doing very much on this project.
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Kristin

msfry

Post by msfry »

Alright, Liz, I think we're back in business. Your turn.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

There's a couple of PL notes, but I draw them to your attention only - they are optional for fixing.

Section 25:
@8:58 the word "enveloped" is not pronounced quite correctly. It should be "en-VEL-op'd". It's a tricky convention, but in English when the word is a noun the first syllable is stressed. When the same word is used a verb (as it is here) then the second syllable is stressed. (Odd, and I have no idea why, but there it is...) If you want to read more, try this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initial-stress-derived_noun

@15:23 in the word "phlegm" the "g" is silent, so one syllable word "flem"

Section 26:
@20:20 there is a long (2 second pause) between lines.

That's it! I've marked these two sections "PL notes", but if you decide not to fix them you can just switch it to PL OK. Well done on "apotheosis" by the way! The first time I came across that word I had to look it up myself!
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Elizabby wrote:There's a couple of PL notes, but I draw them to your attention only - they are optional for fixing.

Section 25:
@8:58 the word "enveloped" is not pronounced quite correctly. It should be "en-VEL-op'd". It's a tricky convention, but in English when the word is a noun the first syllable is stressed. When the same word is used a verb (as it is here) then the second syllable is stressed. (Odd, and I have no idea why, but there it is...) If you want to read more, try this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initial-stress-derived_noun

@15:23 in the word "phlegm" the "g" is silent, so one syllable word "flem"

Section 26:
@20:20 there is a long (2 second pause) between lines.

That's it! I've marked these two sections "PL notes", but if you decide not to fix them you can just switch it to PL OK. Well done on "apotheosis" by the way! The first time I came across that word I had to look it up myself!

Thanks! Been a busy week, but I should get to it this week.
Kristin

Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Hi guys, sorry for being a bit slow with the fixings. Had planned on working on Ladies this weekend, but I got a stomach flu on friday. On sunday I had to go to the hospital and stay there until monday, after getting extremely dizzy (I fainted four times at the hospital). Turns out my blood was seriously low on iron. I'm a lot better, the dizzyness is gone, but it's extremely tiring. The stomach flu was just an unhappy coincident,. happening at the same time, though it's thanfully turned into a "simple" stomach ache.
Anyways, just wanted to let you know, I should be back to normal by next week.
Kristin

msfry

Post by msfry »

Yikes, Kristin. Take care of yourself. This project will complete in due time. Though we set a tentative goal of Christmas, there is really no big rush.
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

msfry wrote:Yikes, Kristin. Take care of yourself. This project will complete in due time. Though we set a tentative goal of Christmas, there is really no big rush.
Thanks! Still hoping to make this deadline, at least for recorded sections, and then maybe last bit of fixing after.
Kristin