[COMPLETE] The Ladies' Paradise by Emile Zola - phil

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

Phil, please delete the last section 35, the Afterward. I don't see a place in the
First Post for me to put keywords. Where shall they go?

I need to put the final file length times on several sections in the MW. Should have that ready by this afternoon.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

msfry wrote: July 29th, 2018, 8:15 am Phil, please delete the last section 35, the Afterward. I don't see a place in the
First Post for me to put keywords. Where shall they go?

I need to put the final file length times on several sections in the MW. Should have that ready by this afternoon.
Project now has 34 sections, the last has been deleted. The keywords go into the project screen; I can add whatever you wish.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
msfry

Post by msfry »

Keywords coming shortly. Please note the revised summary.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Keywords: shopping, Paris, France, fabric, fashion, zola, Denise, Mouret, BBC, shopping, shopkeepers, department store, consumerism, architecture, entrepreneur, entrepreneurship, Beaux Arts, Selfridge, Le Bon Marché, La Samaritaine
That's all I can think of.

Times are added.

And with that, I think we are ready to go.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

This project is now complete and can be found in our catalog at https://librivox.org/the-ladies-paradise-by-emile-zola/

My congratulations to everyone who worked so hard on this great project. :thumbs: :thumbs:
msfry

Post by msfry »

I opened this project on August 2, 2015, so we are 2 days shy of 3 years to complete. I chose Kristin to read it because I knew I didn't have the necessary coquettishly, haughty, sexy Frenchy voice to pull it off. It was a great choice, and I thank Kristin for sticking with me throughout, and being such a good sport through her many moves and illnesses. As she scarcely had time to do it, I offered to perform all the editing and advance PL'ing, and we both agreed she could take all the time she wanted. There was lots of PL'ing and correcting going on behind the scenes as we worked closely together on each file, especially when we found out the text is literally choking with well-known French streets and names and places with rolled 'r's that Kristin couldn't pronounce either -- because she isn't French! So, we found ourselves facing a lot of unexpected work to pull this off, and as it's Kristen's first solo, she wanted it to sound good as much as I did.

I don't think it is normal LV policy for one person to record and another to edit and PL, then submit the final file to a third team-mate for final PL'ing. Not even sure if it's been done before. But I am here to say it worked, and it has been an exciting venture, and I am extremely proud to offer our grand audiobook to the public. Version 1.

Thank you so much Phil for your patience, to Kristen for your hard work (and sexy voice), and to Beth for your PL'ing and kind words.

The glamour girl cover has just been submitted. Keep checking and it will probably be up tomorrow. I am just so excited this evening. Thank you all again.
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

I want to say thank you to you, Michele, for asking me to do this. It has been fun, it has been frustrating, and sometimes Denise has driven me up the wall (can you say that?). But I would do it again in a heartbeat. This project has been with me through a difficult time in my life, and it finished just as everything is starting to change.
Thanks for everyone's patience with me, and thanks for this cooperation.

Ps: the link only leads to the project thread
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Hey, I didn't realise this was a pioneering project! Well done both of you - it sounds smooth and I was very impressed with all the French pronunciation! The end product sounds very authentic and I agree Kristin was a wonderful choice of voice! And I've discovered a new author too - I wasn't familiar with Zola when this project started, but I've now read 3 books of his! :thumbs:
smike

Post by smike »

Kristingj wrote: July 30th, 2018, 9:34 pm

Ps: the link only leads to the project thread
It's not yet in the catalogue -- there it says: in progress.

I'm looking forward to listening to this one, especially since I watched the BBC tv adaptation and loved it.
Claudia

So much to do, so little time...
msfry

Post by msfry »

That is strange, as it shows up in archive.org, cover and all. And yesterday the link in this thread DID TAKE ME TO THE PROJECT on LV, only the cover was not yet added. Nothing we can do but wait!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

msfry wrote: July 31st, 2018, 7:07 am That is strange, as it shows up in archive.org, cover and all. And yesterday the link in this thread DID TAKE ME TO THE PROJECT on LV, only the cover was not yet added. Nothing we can do but wait!
Please try that link again Michele, it should go to the LV page, not the project.
I have checked the status again and it 'looks' like it should be OK, but who knows! :roll:
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

philchenevert wrote: July 31st, 2018, 11:14 am
msfry wrote: July 31st, 2018, 7:07 am That is strange, as it shows up in archive.org, cover and all. And yesterday the link in this thread DID TAKE ME TO THE PROJECT on LV, only the cover was not yet added. Nothing we can do but wait!
Please try that link again Michele, it should go to the LV page, not the project.
I have checked the status again and it 'looks' like it should be OK, but who knows! :roll:
It works now:)
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
msfry

Post by msfry »

It is in the nature of all highly anticipated things, that something always goes awry. Murphy's law: "whatever can go wrong will go wrong." In addition to this snafu, the CD cover link pointed to the thumbnail, and the thumbnail that appears on the LV home page for a day or two under New Releases, pointed to the origami CD Cover. But no matter. All is now in place and I'm ready to celebrate!!!! As we have no virtual LV Café, I've posted the link to my Facebook page tonight. Do swing by and toast with me! www.facebook.com/michele.fry.942
Again, thank you my dear Kristen, and thank you all.
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Kristin, I am so enjoying your recording of The Ladies' Paradise. I've been watching the BBC version and hadn't ever read anything by this author. There are of course many differences between the show and the book, but I am pleased with the similarities. I love the descriptions of the shops and all of the details of the goods for sale. Your voice adds a level of richness that I never could have imagined. Thank you so much for putting your voice to this book and sharing the delights of the Ladies' Paradise with us!
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Also, I have cataloged this book on GoodReads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41718113-the-ladies-paradise
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!