[COMPLETE] The Mentor: Benjamin Franklin, Vol. 6, No. 7 -sj

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thanks for jumping in, Sarah! I appreciate your expertise. I should have been on top of the file name and clarifying the outro.

Fine to be chatty! Obviously you have some technical expertise, so adjusting the volume should be no problem, nor is adding the ending silence. But, this is exactly why we ask everyone to do the one-minute test so we don't have to deal with those issues here.

Nonetheless, your talented reading is a pleasure to listen to! I enjoyed the the little snippets that I sampled. Maggie is in for treat when she gives the proof listen.

I will add you in the Magic Window for this section.

Oh, just upload the revised recording as before using the new file name, then post a note here the same way, but also remember to include the total file length in minutes and seconds.

Thanks for your talent and your patience.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
DonaldMiller

Post by DonaldMiller »

(Removed by its author).
Last edited by DonaldMiller on August 23rd, 2015, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonaldMiller

Post by DonaldMiller »

Hi Larry. You said, "[Y]our talented reading is a pleasure to listen to! I enjoyed the the little snippets that I sampled. Maggie is in for treat when she gives the proof listen."

Wow. Thanks. I didn't expect that. I try do a good job, but I've always thought of myself as some with only an okay voice.
It's nice to know that people aren't secretly thinking, "This is dreadful." ;)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

DonaldMiller wrote:Thanks for assigning me the first section. This isn't that lengthy of a project, so if it's okay with you, I'll just go ahead and do the whole thing. I should have it completed in a week.

https://librivox.org/uploads/smijen/mentorbenjaminfranklin_02_hart_128kb.mp3
I do appreciate your enthusiasm, but there are still some technical and procedural issues to resolve.

Did you revise Section 1? It would be good for you to do that and have it approved by our proof listener before going further, so you don't have to correct every recording.

This Section 2, for instance, is still at too low of a volume at 85.3 dB. Then the ending silence is 7 seconds instead of 5. Furthermore, it is not silent but very noisy, as if you did noise reduction on the rest of the file, but not the final seven seconds.

Then, you need not post the file length. This is 7:22.

So, let's wait until you've got this down before you do much more.

Then there are some procedural issues. With group projects, the protocol is for a volunteer to post a request, or "claim" to record a section, or sections, of a project in the project as you did at first. Then we wait until the BC (book coordinator) has responded and puts our claim in the Magic Window before recording and submitting that portion. We just do not deviate from this procedure, and this keeps things running smoothly. Sometimes there are special instructions to be given before something is recorded. For instance, I need to post a few things about this project because it is hard to follow the sections in the magazine format. The first part has chapter numbers, which should not be read, but the attribution to the editing committee should.

So, please don't submit anything without first going through this process.

Also, projects like this are set up as group projects to give multiple readers an opportunity to contribute, so it is unusual for person to take all sections. I usually read one or two sections in my own projects, for instance. But, once you have the other issues resolved, I'm certainly willing to assign you a block of these sections if you like. And, I have several others going on that you might enjoy. Then there is the whole slate of LibriVox projects just waiting for you. :D

I'm going to be away for a few days, so Sarah, if she can, will be here to help you. She's the

Thank you again for coming on board!
~ Larry
mhaudio

Post by mhaudio »

Hi,

I would like to do sections 5, 6 and 7.
Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michael
DonaldMiller

Post by DonaldMiller »

(Removed by its author).
Last edited by DonaldMiller on August 23rd, 2015, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dlodes

Post by dlodes »

could I do ch. 2
His life.
David Lodes

My Librivox Page
smijen

Post by smijen »

Hi Donald,
Sorry to hear that you're frustrated. The file name discrepancy was totally my fault, but all other tech specs are the same across all LV projects and you should have been given the same feedback from any BC or MC. This is why we strongly recommend the 1-minute test, to iron out tech specs first.
DonaldMiller wrote:it is not silent but very noisy
That conflicts with the previous instructions I received from Mary about This should be ambient room noise, not absolute/artificial silence.
I can see how this might be interpreted as a conflict, but it really isn't. Often when we tell people to add silence at the end of their recording, they just add blank space in Audacity (i.e., a "flatline" or 0 dB sound), so we tell them to add ambient sound. With your experience, I'm sure you realize that there are many types of ambient sound - from a quiet room to a noisy pub. What we need is the same ambient noise as you have throughout your file. You can get this by just copying and pasting a few times from the pauses between your sentences. What it sounds like you've done is a new recording in a slightly different environment, so it's fairly obvious where the edit is. As you get all these hiccups ironed out and get into a groove, you'll want to have a consistent recording set-up so you get the same ambient noise in different recordings, as much as possible. There's always the chance that you'll have to go back and do "pick-ups" after proof-listening and you want to have a smooth edit.
DonaldMiller wrote:If my first section, "The Whistle" isn't up to your standards feel free to delete it.
That would be a shame as it only needs a couple of tweaks, there are lots of people willing to help, and the BC was certainly thrilled with your reading style. But let us know if you're not planning to do the edits, and we'll delete it if that's what you prefer.
DonaldMiller wrote:I have better things to do with my time than jumping through these conflicting hoops through which I'm being made to leap. Have a good life.
We don't have many rules around here, but we have an iron-clad Be Nice policy and we take it very seriously.
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.
smijen

Post by smijen »

mhaudio wrote:Hi,

I would like to do sections 5, 6 and 7.
Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michael
They're all yours! Thanks, Michael.
smijen

Post by smijen »

dlodes wrote:could I do ch. 2
His life.
It's yours. Thanks, David!
dlodes

Post by dlodes »

David Lodes

My Librivox Page
smijen

Post by smijen »

Thanks, David! Maggie will be along to PL.
maggietravers

Post by maggietravers »

Hey, David! Thank you so much for this reading :)

This is recorded at 85.3 dB. Would you please amplify it by 3 dB, re-upload, and post the new edited file here? We want the files to be as close to 89 dB as possible to be loud enough and keep listeners from having to adjust their volume between sections :) Otherwise, it sounds good!
~Maggie

...striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman
dlodes

Post by dlodes »

David Lodes

My Librivox Page
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thanks! In the MW Ready for Spot PL.
~ Larry