COMPLETE Sir Gibbie by George MacDonald-maryann

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Sorry to hear of your family's loss, Maggie. Prayers...
~ Hannah
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him" - Romans 15:13
Blog: Come Be Still
IG: @storytime.with.hannahmary
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Maggie,

I am so sorry to hear that. Take whatever time you need.

If it would help, I'm happy to PL these files . . . so you don't have to worry about them if things get unpredictable at home.

My thoughts are with you and your family during this difficult time.

MaryAnn
markpenfold

Post by markpenfold »

I apologize for this, but I am overwhelmed and can only do one chapter right now. Please clear Chapter 38 (The Muckle House) for another reader. I will still record Chapter 60, though. Thanks!
m@rk p&nfold
lincoln, ne, usa
maggietravers

Post by maggietravers »

markpenfold wrote:I apologize for this, but I am overwhelmed and can only do one chapter right now. Please clear Chapter 38 (The Muckle House) for another reader. I will still record Chapter 60, though. Thanks!

I understand, Mark. If it's still available when you are please feel free to claim it again :)
~Maggie

...striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman
Amarlie

Post by Amarlie »

I would like to claim chapter 27 "A Voice." This is my first recording. The name I would like to appear for my reading is my username Amarlie.
maggietravers

Post by maggietravers »

Amarlie wrote:I would like to claim chapter 27 "A Voice." This is my first recording. The name I would like to appear for my reading is my username Amarlie.

Amarlie, welcome to Librivox! You should have gotten an email detailing how to begin recording. I would suggest that you submit a 1-minute test to check your technical specs, which you can find information on this link viewforum.php?f=21. This would allow you to get everything sorted before tackling a bigger project, such as this chapter.

I will create your reader page and assign you this chapter.

Again, welcome! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. We're all here to help each other.
~Maggie

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yay! A George MacDonald! And a good one, too! (As if he ever wrote anything bad!)

Not sure what chapters I will want, but I definitely want to be involved in this, please. I will follow up tomorrow, hopefully. Tomorrow is a long day for me, and it's well past my bedtime.

(Also, it may be premature to bring it up, but I hope we will be able to do Donal Grant, Sir Gibbie's sequel, afterwards?)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I will just start with ch. 31, if I may. There is a bit of brogue towards the end of it, but I think not more than I can handle. Having read many of MacDonald's stories (including this one) in the past, I have gotten quite good at understanding it when I read it, but I don't know how some of it ought to be pronounced. Does anyone have any resources where I can go to listen to some of this to get a feel for it? Maybe another MacDonald story that is well-read and already complete?

I do have two chapters lined up for another book, and I still need to read that one because I don't know the story, but when that is complete, I will get right on this one. That's also why I'll only start with one chapter.
maggietravers

Post by maggietravers »

mightyfelix wrote:I will just start with ch. 31, if I may. There is a bit of brogue towards the end of it, but I think not more than I can handle. Having read many of MacDonald's stories (including this one) in the past, I have gotten quite good at understanding it when I read it, but I don't know how some of it ought to be pronounced. Does anyone have any resources where I can go to listen to some of this to get a feel for it? Maybe another MacDonald story that is well-read and already complete?

I do have two chapters lined up for another book, and I still need to read that one because I don't know the story, but when that is complete, I will get right on this one. That's also why I'll only start with one chapter.

I have you assigned to that chapter and welcome! I would try to look on youtube for the accent. I did that for a proper English accent (Londoner) to get an idea. Maybe someone else will have some ideas to share. I'm not sure about another MacDonald story after this one, but I may do one. I have several other books waiting to record. Then again, someone else may head one up! Looking forward to listening to your chapter and if you have any questions please let us know :)
~Maggie

Amarlie

Post by Amarlie »

Chapter 27 - 10:21

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/sirgibbie_27_macdonald_128kb.mp3

So, as I said, this is my first recording. I tried to pick a chapter with fewer words and inadvertently picked one full of Scottish brogue! Oops. Well, I gave it a shot. But I will happily concede this chapter if it is terrible and someone could do the accent better. In any event, I will be heading out of the country this Friday, so I probably won't have time to pick and record another chapter, unfortunately! So we'll see how this one goes.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'll go ahead and take on 22-24, if I may. Hopefully the more I do this accent/dialect, the better it will be, so I'll just jump right in. :P
maggietravers

Post by maggietravers »

mightyfelix wrote:I'll go ahead and take on 22-24, if I may. Hopefully the more I do this accent/dialect, the better it will be, so I'll just jump right in. :P
I've assigned these to you and have put your file into the MW. I will try to PL it very soon~
~Maggie

maggietravers

Post by maggietravers »

Amarlie wrote:Chapter 27 - 10:21

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/sirgibbie_27_macdonald_128kb.mp3

So, as I said, this is my first recording. I tried to pick a chapter with fewer words and inadvertently picked one full of Scottish brogue! Oops. Well, I gave it a shot. But I will happily concede this chapter if it is terrible and someone could do the accent better. In any event, I will be heading out of the country this Friday, so I probably won't have time to pick and record another chapter, unfortunately! So we'll see how this one goes.

I will PL this shortly. If there are edits needed, will you be available to do them?
~Maggie

Amarlie

Post by Amarlie »

Yes, I can. I just cannot re-record all. So if that is what is needed I will have to give up my section to someone else. I have quite a lot of recorded material from re-tries that I can use to edit sections if needed.