[COMP] Expression of Emotions in Man&Animals by Darwin-avail

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

It seems to depend what type of error you are reporting and who's on "duty".

Just the other day I have sent in a simple text error and got a positive reply over night.
I also sent in an error in an author entry - which took almost a month to fix...
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 8 is uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/emotionsinmananimals_08_darwin_128kb.mp3 25:14

If I have mispronounced any of the scientific names (or anything else), please feel free to correct me. I could not find a pronunciation dictionary that recognized them.

From this article, http://special.lib.gla.ac.uk/exhibns/month/nov2009.html

I learned many interesting factoids about this book. Here's one:

"The Expression played a significant role in bringing photographic evidence into the scientific world: the photographs in the book constitute one of the earliest examples of attempting to freeze motion for analysis."
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

8 PL OK

Sounds fine. Have to check out the photos now!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks to both of you! :)
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
darrylobby

Post by darrylobby »

Availle
I am brand new to Librivox recording. My name is Rob Cordes. I am pasting my One Minute Test and would love to read Chapter III once I am approved by you. Thank you.

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/test_darrylobby.mp3
darrylobby

Post by darrylobby »

Availle,
I have submitted the test to the librivox upload page as well. darrylobby is my username and I guess simply use my name Rob Cordes unless you recommend a pseudonym. Also, I guess I was asking to record Section 6 (Chapter III). I am new and reading and rereading the instructions so please be patient. Thank you again
Rob
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi Rob, and welcome to LibriVox!

It's usually best to post the test over in the "Listeners and Editors Wanted" forum because if you have problems later on we know where to look for your test, it will get more exposure there, and there are people who are really good at giving advice if there's anything wrong with the test - not like this person here... :?

However, as I have listened to your test, I can say that you are almost good to go! Tech specs are good, there is not too much background noise, and your voice is very pleasant too. However, it is a wee bit too quiet, with 86.1 dB (and we're looking for 89, ideally). I have tried it, it is possible to simply amplify by 3 dB, and it will be fine, but you have a few spikes in this recording already - check out "previously" and "thankful" - which could lead to problems in other recordings, if there are too many. It would be good if you could play a bit with the volume of your recording, and if you like, you can post another test.

With this out of the way, I have given Chapter III to you - enjoy! It's a rather long chapter (probably more than 30 minutes finished recording), so you may want to do one or two of the shorter sections you have claimed first. I will enter your real name into the catalog, we are very flexible about this. Best thing is to use the name that you say in "recording by ..." as your catalog name, so that people can find you both with that name and your forum name.

Anyway, have fun on here! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
darrylobby

Post by darrylobby »

Ava,
You are very nice and very helpful. I will most certainly post the test where you indicated. Also, I will do some more testing and get the sound correct. I ended up watching several videos posted by a fellow Libroxer about how to use Audacity. It helped a lot so I have a bit more of a clue. Still, I have a ton to learn and I will try to do Chapter III and will let you know if I have issue. Thank you so much for your help and I will do my best for you. I am very much looking forward to reading for Librivox.
Rob
darrylobby

Post by darrylobby »

Ava,
Can you help me figure out how to check what volume level I am recording at? I am using Audacity and I can't seem to figure out exactly what my recording is in terms of db level.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

There are different ways to check for volume.

If you're on a Windows machine, you can use the checker tool by one of our volunteers (used to check volume, DC offset and technical specifications) or a little program called mp3 gain (use it to measure volume only but DO NOT change volume with this tool. If it needs to be increased, either increase your microphone inputs or amplify the file in audacity.)

Alternatively, if you are using audacity, there is a little plug in for audacity, called ReplayGain, which is explained in the post here.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
darrylobby

Post by darrylobby »

Thank you Ava. I found MP3 gain and got the volume up on my next test to right at 89db. I will begin work today on Chapter III. Thank you.
Rob
DaithiB

Post by DaithiB »

Hi Librivox.
I'm interested in doing the reading-recording for section 13, chapter VII of the Darwin book on emotions.
All the best,
Daithi Walsh.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi Daithi and welcome to this project!

The same applies here as in the project on kissing: Please do your one minute test before you start recording! It's much easier to sort out problems in something that is one minute long than having to redo a long section.

Besides: Section 13 is only one half of chapter VII, would you read both of them?
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
DaithiB

Post by DaithiB »

Hi Ava. Yes, I'll read both of them (the sections for the chapter). I'll get organized this weekend for the one-minute test and sound-checks and what not. All the best, Daithi.
beardbane

Post by beardbane »

I am new! Fresh to the scene, but would be interested in reading Section 15 and 16. I completed my 1 minute test yesterday and am 'OK to go...'

(1-minute test: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=58330 )
--Beardbane