[COMP] Expression of Emotions in Man&Animals by Darwin-avail

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
rixsworld

Post by rixsworld » November 18th, 2015, 7:28 am

Hi all,
It seems there's a problem with my 'Darwin' upload - though I'm not sure how to find out what the problem is. How do I check PL notes?

Rick

craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 » November 18th, 2015, 9:27 am

Rick,
The "PL Note" is on the bottom of page 5. I've copied it below.

silences at beginning and end of file should be shortened to <1s and 5s, respectively.
Otherwise, pl ok.
Nice read.

Just shortened the silences and upload the file again.
Dave

rixsworld

Post by rixsworld » November 18th, 2015, 3:38 pm

Here's a new upload of section 4, chapter 1 part 2 -- with tighter silences at start and finish (Dave, thanks for your patience).

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/emotionsinmananimals_04_darwin_128kb.mp3

Thanks.
Rick

craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 » November 18th, 2015, 3:44 pm

4 PL OK!

DaithiB

Post by DaithiB » December 1st, 2015, 10:42 am

Section 13 Chapter VII; despite several efforts, have been unable to download functioning copies of either Lame or MP3gain. D.W. [For the Lame: the regular download option didn't open when I tried to open it; the zip file option only contains the .dll file.)

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/emotioninmananimals_#13#_darwin_128kb_mp3.mp3

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » December 2nd, 2015, 12:35 am

Hi Daithi,

nice to have you back!

Since I have installed audacitiy years ago, I can't remember what the LAME was - but I think it was only a single dll file? In any case, whatever you have done to your file, it IS an mp3, and the other tech specs as we need them appear to be good.

However, the file is UNUSABLE!
- it is way too quiet with 78.5 dB - we are looking for 89 dB.
- it cannot be amplified because there are enormous spikes throughout the recording that would need to be addressed separately
- even if it could be amplified, the sound quality is very bad, at the beginning already you are hardly understandable.
And, to add insult to injury, the filename is not good (but that's a minor issue).

I am very sorry that you have wasted all your time on this, but as I said, this recording is not salvagable.
PLEASE, please go back to your test thread here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=58808
try to do what lezer (or another seasoned LV volunteer) suggests to improve your recording and repost a new test; ONLY when you get an [OK] on your test, THEN come back and rerecord your chapter here.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox. "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com

DaithiB

Post by DaithiB » December 2nd, 2015, 2:00 pm

Well, that's unfortunate, not least as I spent a considerable amount of time on the fora and wiki guidelines for recording, in an (unsuccessful) attempt to get things right.
Am I right in understanding you that Lame is not necessary or essential? What about the other suggested programs and software (mp3gain, for instance)? I mentioned that I've been unable, so far, to successfully download either Lame or mp3gain.

I posted a second 1-minute test a couple of weeks ago - haven't heard back about that - and with the original 1-minute-test I posted, I didn't get an 'okay' OR a 'not-okay'. I changed a couple of things, either way, for the second test.

Tell you what, I'll have a look at some other websites to try sort out the sound quality; I find the wiki information here immensely confusing and disorganized.
D.W.

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » December 2nd, 2015, 5:15 pm

LAME is very essential to being able to export .mp3 files from audacity. As I said, I have no idea what you did, but the file was an .mp3, so you are fine. mp3gain is an extra program you can use to check your volume, it is nice to have, but not strictly necessary.

Daithi, you have received answers in the test thread I have linked to above. You still have to do and try out what we - in this case lezer - suggested, and post a new test.

I don't know what else you are expecting? You will not receive emails or anything; everything we do happens online on the forums. And we are expecting YOU to get the recording right, nobody else on here has the time to fix other people's recordings I'm afraid.

Please do another test, post it in the thread I linked to above and see what can be done. We have lots of experience with lots of different setups, so somebody will be around to find a solution for your problem. And it is much easier and faster to fiddle with a one-minute recording than with something that takes half an hour to read.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

SionedV

Post by SionedV » December 3rd, 2015, 5:23 am

Hello!
Would I please be able to claim section 19?

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » December 3rd, 2015, 5:30 am

Of course you can! Section 19 is all yours, have fun! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

LayliBrown19

Post by LayliBrown19 » December 12th, 2015, 12:34 am

Hi

This is my first attempt at claiming a chapter in a LV project,
i'd like to claim

"20 Ch. XI: Disdain, Contempt, Disgust, Guilt, Pride etc. Helplessness, Patience, Affirmation and Negation, Part 2 4000 words
Start from "Helplessness, Impotence: Shrugging the shoulders." Open"

Please let me know if this chapter is available
I can start recording this week :D

Thank You

best regards,
Layli Brown

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » December 13th, 2015, 7:04 am

HI Layli (great name!) and welcome to this project!

I have seen that you have already got an [OK] on your test, so you're good to go - I have given section 20 to you, enjoy! With its 4000 words, it will be around 30 minutes of finished recording, probably around 2 hours of work at least.

Here is your brandnew librivox page so you can keep track of your projects: https://librivox.org/reader/10492
I have entered your forum name as your catalog name, but we can change that one any time. We can also link to a personal web page or blog if you like, just let me know.

Welcome again and: Have fun on here! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

LayliBrown19

Post by LayliBrown19 » December 13th, 2015, 12:23 pm

Thank You :clap:

This recording will be better than my test, I have an actual mic and a little recoding setup that gives me a much cleaner sound.
Layli Brown works great for my catalog name thanks for the compliment :)
Thank you again

Layli

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » December 13th, 2015, 4:41 pm

Layli, if you have considerably changed your setup, you may want to try another test. Just to make sure you have all the technical components fixed. Many people on here change setup throughout their carreer, some even multiple times - it's always a good idea to see whether you are getting the best possible out of your equipment!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

LayliBrown19

Post by LayliBrown19 » December 13th, 2015, 5:23 pm

Yes, Thank you this is a good idea, I will do it,to make sure I've got it all right.
Layli,