(Complete) Mostly Boys: Short Stories by Francis J. Finn-mb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Mostly Boys: Short Stories by Francis J. Finn (1859 - 1928).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/mostly-boys-short-stories-by-francis-j-finn/
A collection of tales about real life boys in every walk of life. They are redolent of the breezy spirit of healthy, jovial boyhood, and permeated with the author’s best brand of humor. (The Publishers Trade List Annual 1917)
The author, Francis J. Finn, S.J., was a Catholic priest who wrote a series of 27 popular Catholic novels for young people during the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. His best known work is “Tom Playfair”.
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/mostlyboysshorts00finn
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Mostly Boys: Short Stories. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Mostly Boys: Short Stories, by Francis J. Finn. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Mostly Boys: Short Stories by Francis J. Finn. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Mostly Boys: Short Stories, by Francis J. Finn. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename mostlyboys_##_finn.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. mostlyboys_01_finn.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: yy - yyyyy
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Hi Hugh,

First one is up. Does it help the downloading issue with Firefox if I post the link in the thread? If so, I will try to remember to do that!

https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/mostlyboys_01_finn_128kb.mp3
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
HughGil

Post by HughGil »

Hi Maria,

That was a great story. :D

No, I still can't download from the thread, but no worries, I'm using Opera to download from Librivox, and it's working just fine. :D Not a big fan of Chrome.
"the story seems to take forever to go anywhere - and I know where it is going." - m8b1 2012
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Hi Hugh,

Next one is up ~ not nearly as good as the first I don't think, but it improved on me the second time through when I was editing. :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
HughGil

Post by HughGil »

Hi Maria,

2 is okay. :D Agreed, not as good a 1, but really good none the less. :D
"the story seems to take forever to go anywhere - and I know where it is going." - m8b1 2012
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Thanks, Hugh ~ glad you are enjoying the book! :-)

#3 is ready!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
HughGil

Post by HughGil »

Hi Maria :D

@ ~20:58 missed line.

But a few moments afterward a crowd of soldiers flushed with drink came staggering forth, some singing, some swearing, some shouting out "Down with the Jesuits!"

The ending surprised me, I was not expecting it to end like that!
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Thanks, Hugh! I think I kind of guessed where it was going to a certain extent. :-)
I believe I have read these all before, but it has been awhile, so I generally do not remember most of the story lines.

Next one is up!

Oh, and I didn't fix the last file yet, as I didn't realize it was a missing line til now. :-) Will get that recorded and fixed soon!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
HughGil

Post by HughGil »

Evening Maria,

4 is okay. :D
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Thank you, Hugh ~ next one is up!

Been wanting to move a little bit faster on this than I have been, but life isn't allowing it right now! :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
HughGil

Post by HughGil »

Hi Maria,

5 is okay. :D Don't worry about taking some time with this right now, we have out of town guests for a few days, so we are busy entertaining. :D

One of the few things I wish I could do is to be able to sing. I was told I had a nice voice when I was a little boy, then my voice changed. :shock: Now I can't hold a note in a bucket. :lol:
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Hi Hugh,

I had an unintended break from recording - I came down with a nasty summer cold that is making the rounds....

I do have a chapter ready today - that I recorded before I got sick. Hopefully I should have more soon, as I think I am back in recording shape again. :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
HughGil

Post by HughGil »

Hi Maria,

6 is okay. I was beginning to worry, hope you are feeling better. :D Take care of yourself.
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Thanks, Hugh ~ next one is ready.

I am feeling better, not 100% over it, but good enough to record. :-) It's gone around to a couple other family members, and today I've been feeling like I'm trying to get it back - but hopefully I won't....I'll be very annoyed if I do!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
HughGil

Post by HughGil »

Evening Maria, :)

7 is okay. No...don't get sick again. There, I've said my piece. :D

I've been checking on the weather in your neck of the woods, and the humidity you get must be miserable. I don't know how you do it. We hit 110 today, stayed inside for the most part, it's not as bad as you might think, low humidity. Still battling ants, my neighbors too, with the backyard completely dead, they are getting in for the water. The only thing I can figure is they are getting in thru a crack in the foundation. They are not on any of the outside walls. :shock:

Take care of yourself :)