COMPLETE Witch of Edmonton by Dekker, et al. -rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

Rapunzelina wrote:Moved to Dramatic Works!

Would you like me to delete the empty section rows, Mary? or will you need them later?
I will need them later. :)
Hello! Newly graduated and occasional Librivox contributor.
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

Still looking for a DPL!
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Can I read the Dog, please?
Rob Marland reader section | website
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

RobBoard wrote:Can I read the Dog, please?
Sure! :)
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

OK, here are the first files! Witch (Mother Sawyer) - I thought I'd record her while my voice is still scratchy from this horrible cold. :roll: For the title character, she doesn't actually say much! :mrgreen:

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/witchofedmonton_witch_2.mp3 (8:21)
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/witchofedmonton_witch_4.mp3 (7:00)
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/witchofedmonton_witch_5.mp3 (5:20)

In Act 5, please note I've given you the line "plagues and consumptions" twice. The first time is normal, the second time is faint and fading away as the narrator says "she is carried off" just after this. I wasn't sure if you wanted voice effects or not.
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

Thank you! Will put in MW asap.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Tortilla wrote:Still looking for a DPL!
Hello

I just did my first assignments of PLing two short stories, and as there are not many projects that do NOT already have a DPL I would like to offer my services for the few roles that have already been finished in this one.

I am hesitant to commit to DPL at the moment, as I'm going on a lengthy holiday soon, but if I may I can check as far as I can. :)

Sonia
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

Kitty wrote:
Tortilla wrote:Still looking for a DPL!
Hello

I just did my first assignments of PLing two short stories, and as there are not many projects that do NOT already have a DPL I would like to offer my services for the few roles that have already been finished in this one.

I am hesitant to commit to DPL at the moment, as I'm going on a lengthy holiday soon, but if I may I can check as far as I can. :)

Sonia

If you'd like to DPL for the moment, I'd be happy to have you on. I noticed Elizabby sent out a PM to you- that's a good write up of what we are looking for! :)

Thank you very much.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Tortilla wrote:If you'd like to DPL for the moment, I'd be happy to have you on. I noticed Elizabby sent out a PM to you- that's a good write up of what we are looking for! :)
Thank you very much.
I checked the 4 files that are finished so far (Mother Sawyer and Ann Ratcliffe). For the basic check-points, all are ok:

-- Do the intro and disclaimer match the instructions in the first post of the project thread? > n/a - specific disclaimer intro only to be mentioned by stage director, correct ?

-- Are there any long silences or pauses that ought to be edited out? If so, note the time. > checked, ok

-- Is there excessive background noise, a constant hiss or buzz that detracts from the reading? > checked, ok

-- Are the correct closing words used at the end of the recording, as per the first post of the project thread? > n/a

-- Are there 5 seconds of silence (10 if the recording is more than 30 minutes long) at the end of the file? > n/a

The following are the small deviations from the original text. I was assuming you want word-perfect corrections, so I mention everything here.

Mother Sawyer: Act II Scene 1

> run through checker: 90.1 dB, volume ok

> at 1:16: Recording: “there they are” - Original: “there they be

> at 3:08: Recording: “of me and my credit” - Original: “Of me and of my credit”

Mother Sawyer: Act IV Scene 1

> run through checker: 90.9 dB, volume ok

> at 5:07: Recording: “Hast thou struck the lame horse as I bid thee?” - Original: “Hast thou struck the horse lame as I bid thee?” ---> this creates a change of meaning here, in my opinion

> at 5:42: Recording: “did I not charge thee” - Original: “did not I charge thee”

> at 6:47: Recording: “And pluck out’s throat”, ---> a minor stumbling at “throat”, doesn’t distract at all, but I wanted to mention it nevertheless

Mother Sawyer: Act V Scene 1 & 2

> run through checker: 87.5 dB, volume ok

> at 1:19: Recording: “Up I would blow” - Original: “Up would I blow it all”

> at 3:55: Recording twice “Plagues and consumptions”. ---> I like the second part which is fading out, but the first you let sort of naturally fade out as well, even though it is louder. Both are ok.

Ann Ratcliffe: Act IV Scene 1

> run through checker: 89.0 dB, volume ok

> at 1:00: Recorded: “hark, how it tickles with” (at least that’s what I hear, I might be mistaken though) - Original: “hark, how it tickles it

And that's all I found. I see Winnifred's files have been finished now, so I probably get around checking them on Monday.

Have a good weekend !

Sonia
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Hi Sonia! Thanks for your comments. Yes, a play is not a "standard" PL so the template really only applies to the "final" (fully edited together) version, not the parts.

I'm glad you ran the files through the checker, but if it is within spec that's fine, you don't need to mention it separately each time. For a play or DR that will be edited again anyway just a note to the editor "may need amplification" is enough. Clipping should be mentioned though.

Regarding my recordings (Mother Sawyer) I currently plan to only correct the Act 4 note at 5:07 (which I agree changes the meaning). The others I will only correct if the BC asks for a Word Perfect reading, but thanks for noting them!
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

Thank you! MW updated; thank you for the PLing. I will mark Anne and Sawyer PL-OK except for Act 4 for Sawyer.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Kitty wrote:
Mother Sawyer: Act IV Scene 1

> at 5:07: Recording: “Hast thou struck the lame horse as I bid thee?” - Original: “Hast thou struck the horse lame as I bid thee?” ---> this creates a change of meaning here, in my opinion
This one change has been made and the new file uploaded to the same link, but here it is again anyway:

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/witchofedmonton_witch_4.mp3

I'm aware the sound it not quite the same, but I find it impossible to make seamless corrections - the sound is always slightly different. This is the reason I try not to do one word corrections unless it really changes the meaning of the sentence.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi, just quickly telling you that I will be going on a one-week holiday starting now. I won't have the time to PL the accumulated scenes right now, but I'll be doing them first thing when I come back.

:) Sonia