COMPLETE-King Alfred of England, by Jacob Abbott-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RyanCherrick

Post by RyanCherrick »

King Alfred of England by Jacob Abbott by Jacob Abbott (1803 - 1879).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here: https://librivox.org/king-alfred-of-england-by-jacob-abbott/
The life and accomplishments of England's sole title holder of "The Great." King Alfred defended England from Viking invasions and ushered in an era of learning and progress for the British Isles. (Summary by Ryan Cherrick)
Chapters:

I. The Britons 13
II. The Anglo-Saxons 34
III. The Danes 57
IV. Alfred's Early Years 76
V. The State of England 94
VI. Alfred's Accession to the Throne 115
VII. Reverses 131
VIII. The Seclusion 154
IX. Reassembling of the Army 172
X. The Victory over the Danes 190
XI. The Reign 209
XII. The Close of Life 227
XIII. The Sequel 244
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/16545
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Culture & Heritage

Keywords that describe the book: Alfred, england, king, Wessex, vikings, king alfred, the great

============================================
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of King Alfred of England by Jacob Abbott. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "King Alfred of England by Jacob Abbott, by Jacob Abbott. [Chapter number, title]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of King Alfred of England by Jacob Abbott, by Jacob Abbott. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    kingalfred_##_abbott_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. kingalfred_01_abbott_128kb.mp3)
  9. Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  10. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by RyanCherrick on January 9th, 2017, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Alfred of England, With Lee in Virginia, The Story of the Romans
RyanCherrick

Post by RyanCherrick »

I will take chapters 1-4
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You don't need to list the chapters - you will enter them in the MW after you are picked up by an MC.
The top of your first post seems messy - did you edit out bits? You should just post the template that is produced - there should not be any need to edit it . Then wait for an MC that is able to pick up the project

Anne
RyanCherrick

Post by RyanCherrick »

Our objective is to make all books in the public domain available, for free, in audio format on the internet. - Hugh McGuire

Sorry about the messiness.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've fixed your formatting for you. :)
RyanCherrick wrote:I will take chapters 1-4
Just checking: you are going to BC this project, correct?
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
RyanCherrick

Post by RyanCherrick »

I will BC
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Ryan,

Happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, You're good to go. We'll remove the chapter listing in the first post once you've filled in the MW. Let me know if you have any questions along the way.

MaryAnn
RyanCherrick

Post by RyanCherrick »

Awesome, I believe we just need a PL
RyanCherrick

Post by RyanCherrick »

Two things:

I guess with "the sequel" we will need a 13th chapter.

It will not let me log into the magic window to make the necessary updates.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Hmm.

The info behind the scenes is correct so I'm not sure why you are not getting in. Could you try it again? If it gives you a page saying you don't have access, please click the option to "sign out" and then sign in again.

You can add another section once you are in the MW - there is a button up at the top, next to where you assign / remove readers to add a new section. If you have any trouble with that, please let me know.

MaryAnn
RyanCherrick

Post by RyanCherrick »

I am sorry, I cannot log in. I even changed my password thinking perhaps I was getting it wrong (it has been saved on my computer for quite some time).
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Double Hmmm 'cause everything looks OK behind the scenes.

When was the last time you were able to log into a MW? And is there another project where you have had MW access? If so, can you try logging into that MW?

MaryAnn
RyanCherrick

Post by RyanCherrick »

when you say everything looks good behind the scenes, do you mean I can log in with my username and password or is there a separate username and password.

Do forgive me, I have taken some time off between projects and I admit I have forgotten some things.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

By "everything looks good behind the scenes" I mean that I have entered you in the database to have access to this project once you are logged into the MW system.

There are two different systems - one for the forums, one for the MWs. The passwords are separate. Some people use the same password for both . . . but changing the password for one will not change the password for the other.

Sounds like you may be trying to use your forum password to get into the MW system.

You can refresh on the MW system here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ
On the wiki here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/BC%27s:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

And simplified first-time login instructions (with pictures):
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxWB83bbALTQYjlENGZ0SVJUWWs

MaryAnn