COMPLETE [Weekly Poetry]Don Quixote by Madison Cawein - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Don Quixote by Madison Cawein (1865 - 1914).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/don-quixote-by-madison-cawein/
Madison Julius Cawein was born in Louisville, Kentucky. After graduating from high school, Cawein worked in a pool hall in Louisville as a cashier in Waddill's New-market, which also served as a gambling house. He worked there for six years, saving his pay so he could return home to write.
His output was thirty-six books and 1,500 poems. His writing presented Kentucky scenes in a language echoing Percy Bysshe Shelley and John Keats. He soon earned the nickname the "Keats of Kentucky".

Note: In Greek mythology, Hippocrene was the name of a spring on Mt. Helicon. It was sacred to the Muses and was formed by the hooves of Pegasus. Its name literally translates as "Horse's Fountain" and the water was supposed to bring forth poetic inspiration when imbibed. ( Wikipedia)
Each week a poem is chosen to be recorded by as many LibriVox volunteers as possible!
This week's poem can be found here.
[*] Project Code: 8lz0b6iW

Set your recording software to:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44100 kHz

Have questions on "how"?
Check LV's Recording Notes thread before recording. If this is your first recording, you'll also find this Newbie Guide to Recording useful.
Begin your reading with the abbreviated LibriVox disclaimer:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
Don Quixote by Madison Cawein, read for LibriVox.org by [your name].
[Add, if you wish, date, your location, and/or your personal url.]
Then read the poem:
On receiving a bottle of Sherry Wine of the same name

What "blushing Hippocrene" is here! what fire
Of the "warm South" with magic of old Spain!—
Through which again I seem to view the train
Of all Cervantes' dreams, his heart's desire:
The melancholy Knight, in gaunt attire
Of steel rides by upon the windmill-plain
With Sancho Panza by his side again,
While, heard afar, a swineherd from a byre
Winds a hoarse horn.

.........................And all at once I see
The glory of that soul who rode upon
Impossible quests,—following a deathless dream
Of righted wrongs, that never were to be,—
Like many another champion who has gone
Questing a cause that perished like a dream.

At the end of your reading, leave a space and then say:
End of poem. This recording is in the public domain.

Please leave 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording.
Save your recording as an mp3 file using the following filename and ID3 tag format:
File name - all in lowercase: donquixote_cawein_your initials in lowercase_128kb.mp3
(e.g. donquixote_cawein_klh_128kb.mp3 )

ID3 tags (Version 2):
Artist Name: Madison Cawein
Track Title: Don Quixote - Read by YOUR INITIALS (e.g. Don Quixote - Read by KLH)
Album Title: LibriVox Weekly Poetry
Comments: (optional) Recorded by [your name]

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: aradlaw
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

When you post your link, please include your name as you would like it credited on the catalogue page and any URL by which you would like it accompanied. (Note: This is only necessary if you have not done so for another project.)
(If you wish to contribute, please have your readings submitted by 0600 GMT Sunday, May 31, 2015 (12:00AM CDT)

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!<p>

Magic Window:

BC Admin
(And remember, anyone can suggest a poem for a certain week and/or coordinate an upcoming weekly poem! If you'd like to suggest a poem or coordinate a future Weekly Poetry project, please visit this thread.)
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Noel's Recordings

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
canadaguy2015

Post by canadaguy2015 »

Here is my recording of the poem. Please let me know if any changes are needed.

Regards,

Jim

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/donquixote_cawein_jm_128kb.mp3

Duration: 1:12
Claire

Post by Claire »

LavenderLilacs

Post by LavenderLilacs »

This is my first actual recording of a work, past my 1 minute test. So, please let me know if anything needs to be modified.
Regards,
Beth

Duration: 01:15

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/donquixote_cawein_bms_128kb.mp3
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by aradlaw »

Thank you Noel, Jim, Caitlin, Lee Ann and Algy. :thumbs:
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

LavenderLilacs wrote:This is my first actual recording of a work, past my 1 minute test. So, please let me know if anything needs to be modified.
Regards,
Beth
Welcome to LibriVox Beth , good first reading :thumbs:
Your volume is a bit low at 86.6 dB, you should aim for your waveforms to peak near the 0.5 mark (89 dB), like this:

Before I add you to the Magic Window (MW) please let me know under what name would you like to appear in the LV catalog and if you have one, we can put your personal URL link on your catalog page too.
David Lawrence

LavenderLilacs

Post by LavenderLilacs »

aradlaw wrote: Welcome to LibriVox Beth , good first reading :thumbs:
Your volume is a bit low at 86.6 dB, you should aim for your waveforms to peak near the 0.5 mark (89 dB), like this:

Before I add you to the Magic Window (MW) please let me know under what name would you like to appear in the LV catalog and if you have one, we can put your personal URL link on your catalog page too.
Thanks, David,
I just downloaded Mp3Gain so I can see what db level I'm at. Boy, will that make things simpler! Here is the amplified file, if you prefer: https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/donquixote_cawein_bms_128kb.mp3
For the catalog (this is exciting!) I'd like to be listed as Beth Sullivan. I don't have a personal URL, so my catalog name and forum name LavenderLilacs will have to do. Thanks again!
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Here is my contribution to this week's project:

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/donquixote_cawein_gg_128kb.mp3

Run time is 1:27

Take care,

Greg
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Thank you for the edit Beth, your catalog page is updated and can be viewed by clicking on your forum name in the MW. :wink:

Thanks Greg. :thumbs:
David Lawrence

commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Good readings Erin and Maria. :thumbs:
David Lawrence