History of Minnesota, Part 1 by Charles Flandrau - dlo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

joyfulmn wrote:
dlolso21 wrote:Joy & Jill,

I have run both files through an aggressive noise-cleaning in Audacity. I have uploaded the cleaned versions with an "a" added in the file name so that you can listen to both the previous and filtered versions of the files. I also added 1 second to the end of 31.

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/histmn_frontiertales1_30a_flandrau_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/histmn_frontiertales1_31a_flandrau_128kb.mp3

Elijah,

There are different versions of Audacity in use that have very different noise-cleaning / noise-reduction settings. Read through or post in The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread to compare your setting for the version of Audacity you are using.

David O
Thanks David.
The background noise doesn't seem to be as strong and it's a bit easier to hear the reader.

Jill,
If you agree, would you go ahead and OK these files?

--Joy
Thanks David for taking a stab at that. Beyond a little noise removal I was at a loss for what else to do. I appreciate your expertise.

Joy! Thanks for all the proof listening! That sure piled up all of a sudden. I have added the "a" versions of both files to the MW and have PL OK'd them.

Jill :)
joyfulmn

Post by joyfulmn »

Thanks Jill. :D
joyfulmn

Post by joyfulmn »

Section 38 PL Notes:
Thanks Jessica,
All is well except for one definite *pop* at 11:32-33.

Jill,
How much difference does one second make in the MW? This file must be something like 13:09 1/2 because Win Media Player shows the file at 13:10 but the bar that shows where in the file you are does show the last as 13:09 as reported by Jessica and in the MW. ETA: I haven't been in the habit of double checking that number - just happened to notice it. Maybe I should make it a habit, huh?
JessicaLouise

Post by JessicaLouise »

joyfulmn wrote:Section 38 PL Notes:
Thanks Jessica,

Jill,
How much difference does one second make in the MW? This file must be something like 13:09 1/2 because Win Media Player shows the file at 13:10 but the bar that shows where in the file you are does show the last as 13:09 as reported by Jessica and in the MW. ETA: I haven't been in the habit of double checking that number - just happened to notice it. Maybe I should make it a habit, huh?
Thanks for noticing that! I fixed it and re-uploaded: https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/histmn_frontiertales1_38_flandrau_128kb.mp3

I also made it as close to exactly 13:10 as I could (there's probably an easier way to do this than by copying small bits of silence and pasting to the end, but that worked well enough).
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

joyfulmn wrote:Section 38 PL Notes:
Thanks Jessica,

Jill,
A few seconds difference doesn't matter. It was explained to me once why it doesn't and I think it was something to do with that the MC is mostly looking to make sure there are no huge parts of sections missing where the file they're seeing is a significantly different running time than that that was reported by the reader. It wouldn't trip any alarm bells, though, if there were only a few seconds difference, so no worries. Also, some people and some software "round up" when it's pretty close to the next whole second, whereas others of us (myself included) don't. Does that help?

As for if you should be checking on that number or not, it's not a bad habit to just make sure they're in the same ballpark. There are others of us checking too, though, so it's not the end of the world if you missed a difference in times.

Thanks for all your work! It is appreciated. :D
JessicaLouise

Post by JessicaLouise »

jillebean

Post by jillebean »

JessicaLouise wrote:Here is section 39: https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/histmn_frontiertales1_39_flandrau_128kb.mp3

Length is 11:05.

And here is section 40: https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/histmn_frontiertales1_40_flandrau_128kb.mp3

Length is 13:18.

Thanks!
Jessica Louise
Thank you! :)

Jill
joyfulmn

Post by joyfulmn »

Section 39 PL OK :thumbs:

Thanks Jessica. Another Minnesotan I hear. We're glad you're on the project. :)

--Joy
joyfulmn

Post by joyfulmn »

Section 40 PL Notes:

Since we have a little work to do on this section I'll mention the static type sound at the very beginning. Literally with the first word. I'm not sure if it's a breath on the mic or something touching it. Sections 39 & 40 have had many more breath pops than I noted in your other files. I understand some people have put the mic beside their mouth and spoken past it instead of straight into it. Might this help? Except for that very first one they're not loud enough to have to fix - in my opinion.

We just have a couple cuts that need to be made of blank spaces. So that your times are easier to find, I will mention the second one first:

At 5:26 the pause is just long enough to make my head pop up and I think "huh?" That is a criteria for PL's to mention dontcha know. ;) If you can just cut out a second or less from the pause it would be helpful. I find the pause very appropriate but just too long.

I found a long blank space - perhaps the file was running without you knowing. ;) From 0:37-0:49 there is no sound. Then on 0:54 it picks up with no words missing.

We appreciate all your files. Are you thinking of claiming more?

--Joy
JessicaLouise

Post by JessicaLouise »

joyfulmn wrote:Section 40 PL Notes:

Since we have a little work to do on this section I'll mention the static type sound at the very beginning. Literally with the first word. I'm not sure if it's a breath on the mic or something touching it. Sections 39 & 40 have had many more breath pops than I noted in your other files. I understand some people have put the mic beside their mouth and spoken past it instead of straight into it. Might this help? Except for that very first one they're not loud enough to have to fix - in my opinion.

We just have a couple cuts that need to be made of blank spaces. So that your times are easier to find, I will mention the second one first:

At 5:26 the pause is just long enough to make my head pop up and I think "huh?" That is a criteria for PL's to mention dontcha know. ;) If you can just cut out a second or less from the pause it would be helpful. I find the pause very appropriate but just too long.

I found a long blank space - perhaps the file was running without you knowing. ;) From 0:37-0:49 there is no sound. Then on 0:54 it picks up with no words missing.

We appreciate all your files. Are you thinking of claiming more?

--Joy
Thanks, Joy. I think I'll just re-record section 40. I know my setup isn't great. I do try to speak with the microphone sort of under my chin so I don't get pops, but apparently that is not having the effect I'm hoping for. The room I'm in also is rather echo-y - not much fabric/carpet in there to absorb sound. But I'll put a little more effort into my setup and record it again.

I also rushed through editing this section, which shows. Sorry about that!

I do think I'll claim more, but I want to work through some of the other things I've claimed for other projects first. :)
JoyBaker

Post by JoyBaker »

joyfulmn wrote:Section 26 PL Notes:
I only have one place pronunciation issue. At 7:17 McLeod County should be pronounced McCloud. (I think this is clear but, if not, reference pronunciation audio file (in blue letter area under the MW) at time 1:13)

If you can make this patch easily it would be good to do. If you don't have much practice doing this and it would really sound patched, I think your pronunciation is not as offensive as what happens to Mankato and Shakopee 8-) and could be left alone. Your choice.

--Joy

Thanks, I'm going to try to take care of that. I've been laid up for the last little while with laryngitis and so I can't do the pick up until I sound like myself again, but I'll post it as soon as I can.

I'm also almost done with section 27 but I have a few pick ups that I have to wait on as well. Sorry I've taken so long with these. Is it alright if I have a little more time on 27?

Thanks!
~ Joy Baker ~
joyfulmn

Post by joyfulmn »

JoyBaker wrote:
I only have one place pronunciation issue. At 7:17 McLeod County should be pronounced McCloud. (I think this is clear but, if not, reference pronunciation audio file (in blue letter area under the MW) at time 1:13)

If you can make this patch easily it would be good to do. If you don't have much practice doing this and it would really sound patched, I think your pronunciation is not as offensive as what happens to Mankato and Shakopee 8-) and could be left alone. Your choice.

--Joy

Thanks, I'm going to try to take care of that. I've been laid up for the last little while with laryngitis and so I can't do the pick up until I sound like myself again, but I'll post it as soon as I can.

I'm also almost done with section 27 but I have a few pick ups that I have to wait on as well. Sorry I've taken so long with these. Is it alright if I have a little more time on 27?

Thanks!
~ Joy Baker ~
I'm sure Jill will agree that you should take the time you need to get well. We'll be patient and enjoy looking forward to your recordings. :D

--Joy M
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

joyfulmn wrote:
JoyBaker wrote:

--Joy

Thanks!
~ Joy Baker ~
I'm sure Jill will agree that you should take the time you need to get well. We'll be patient and enjoy looking forward to your recordings. :D

--Joy M
Agreed. :) Feel better! -- Jill
jillebean

Post by jillebean »