COMPLETE - Wanted: A Pedigree by Martha Finley-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

No problem Roohi. I've posted an advert in Listeners Wanted.
MaryAnn
linny

Post by linny »

Roohi wrote:Chapter 2 is PL ok
I came by to help and found this on page 3. Maybe the MW is out of date?
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

Thank you Linny. I must have missed that.

I received a pm from a new volunteer, David (SamuiSam), asking if he could be the DPL. I suggested that he start by just listening to a couple of chapters and directed him to the guide in case he hadn't read it yet.
-Bria

Dramatic Readings of Bible passages

Some reason I decided to try to write fiction. And it sucked me far away from LibriVox into the world of writing, editing and blogging.
Click here to read about it.
Roohi

Post by Roohi »

linny

Post by linny »

Breeze wrote:Thank you Linny. I must have missed that.

I received a pm from a new volunteer, David (SamuiSam), asking if he could be the DPL. I suggested that he start by just listening to a couple of chapters and directed him to the guide in case he hadn't read it yet.
Is David able to help or do you still need PL assistance?
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

David is helping, but you could listen to a few chapters as well. Just not chapter 10.
-Bria

Dramatic Readings of Bible passages

Some reason I decided to try to write fiction. And it sucked me far away from LibriVox into the world of writing, editing and blogging.
Click here to read about it.
linny

Post by linny »

PL notes.
Hi Roohi, this was a lovely reading. I feel a bit sorry for the situation poor Nina finds herself in.

I have a few PL notes for you.
The recording is a bit loud at 91. Please amplify -1.5.
0:00 at the start there is a snap which should be edited out.
11:38 there is a long pause

The following are not standard PL but caught my attention so I have included those notes as well.
12:54 there is an awkward pause between "any" and "one". I followed along in Audacity and it looks to be a simple edit.
18:05 extra sound which can be edited out.
23:46 and 24:26 your edits sounds dramatically different. You don't have to change it however if you amplify it by -1.5 it isn't as dramatic of a transition (I played with it a bit to come up with the -1.5). I struggle with sound matches when I have to rerecord. What I finally found worked for me was to rerecord a couple of sentences or even a paragraph. Then I can either use the entire section or what I found is after a few sentences my rhythm matches up and then the few word I actually need match much closer.

There are a number of areas where there is household noise in the background. I know it's challenging sometimes to find a quiet time to record. I know when I record I have to pay attention to make sure my pets and neighbors don't get heard and I often have to pause for long periods to wait for them. Here are some of the sections so you can listen to what I'm hearing: 1:14, 3:41, 5:19, 6:49, 9:44, 24:39-44, 26:04 (this one is an easy edit). If you decide to rerecording any of these sections please note the start and stop time so they can be checked with the other spot checks.
linny

Post by linny »

Volume is high, this time coming in at 92.8. Since I was listening in Audacity I went ahead an reduced the volume to 89.3. This section is now PL ok!
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/wantedapedigree_11_finley_128kb.mp3

When I record, I use MP3Gain to check my volume http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php. It's a very easy program. After I edit and before I noise clean I export from Audacity. I then drag and drop into MP3Gain and then >Analysis>Track Analysis. That tells me how much to amplify. I switch back to Audacity, amplify, noise clean, and final playback.
linny

Post by linny »

Roohi wrote:https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/wantedapedigree_12_finley_128kb.mp3
15:37
roohi
who's going to DPL this now that I'm recording?
Hi Roohi,
In this section your volume is coming in at 85.2 and should be amplified 4.5, however this will cause clipping. Instead I played around with the leveler. I did a moderate followed by a mild leveling and it brought the volume to 89.4 without clipping or distortion. https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/wantedapedigree_12_finley_128kb.mp3

2:00 Stumble "hanging here head" stumble "crimson with mortification"
4:55-5:00 background noise (sounds like scratching)
7:27 Stumble "that, and that"
9:01 Backgound click which can be edited out.

You made me cheer for Nina!
linny

Post by linny »

Volume is a little high, please amplify -2.5
Opening silence is a little long at 1:23, it should be between 0.5 and 1.0.

Around 2:30 through around 3:50 you pick up some background noise which sounds as if it may have missed noise cleaning. It isn't bad though.

This Aunt is just horrible!
linny

Post by linny »

linny wrote:
Roohi wrote:Chapter 2 is PL ok
I came by to help and found this on page 3. Maybe the MW is out of date?
Chapter 2 can be marked as PL ok
linny

Post by linny »

Roohi wrote:chapter 3
Pl notes
You need to re-do the intro a lot of the librivox disclaimer is missing.
there is a long pause 2.46-2.48
2:54. 'Cheek' misread as.'..check'
4:02 'exclaimed' misread as 'claimed'
there is a stumble at 6.52
the rest is fine.
Regards
roohi
In addition to roohi's notes the volume is a little low and needs to be amplified 1.5.
Please change the MW to See PL notes.
linny

Post by linny »

Breeze wrote:David is helping, but you could listen to a few chapters as well. Just not chapter 10.
Since you have a posting looking for PL assistance please consider adding a note about this in the MW so you don't end of with two PLers checking the same chapter.

Be well,
Linny
linny

Post by linny »

Breeze wrote:Thank you Linny. I must have missed that.

Bria,
It's been more than a month and David hasn't PLed chapter 10 and roohi has been waiting 6 weeks for PL feedback. I'd like to go ahead and take care of that and sign up as DPL. Deal?
Last edited by linny on July 12th, 2016, 6:08 am, edited 2 times in total.