COMPLETE Old Friends by Andrew Lang -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Old Friends, Essays in Epistolary Parody by Andrew Lang (1844 - 1912).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project: https://librivox.org/old-friends-essays-in-epistolary-parody-by-andrew-lang/
"Every fancy which dwells much with the unborn and immortal characters of Fiction must ask itself, Did the persons in contemporary novels never meet? In so little a world their paths must often have crossed, their orbits must have intersected, though we hear nothing about the adventure from the accredited narrators. In historical fiction authors make their people meet real men and women of history—Louis XI., Lazarus, Mary Queen of Scots, General Webbe, Moses, the Man in the Iron Mask, Marie Antoinette; the list is endless. But novelists, in spite of Mr. Thackeray’s advice to Alexandre Dumas, and of his own example in “Rebecca and Rowena,” have not introduced each other’s characters" (from the Introduction). In this volume, Andrew Lang shows, what a letter from one fictional character to another might look like.
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1991
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      Note to Readers:
      - Some chapters are divided into two letters. Carolin will edit them into one file when both are in.
      - you can participate in as many chapters as you like, but you can only read one character per chapter.
      - it would be cool if the same writer could be read by the same person, so the following sections go together: 8 and 10; 21 and 23; 27 and 28; 26 and 29; 41 and 43; 38 and 44. if you claim one you must also claim the other.
      - Footnotes: you neednt read the footnotes, but you can if you find them interesting.
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      im asking everyone to record the full disclaimer, though i may edit it out.Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of Old Friends, Essays in Epistolary Parody. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • Say:
        "Old Friends, Essays in Epistolary Parody, by Andrew Lang. [name of the letter (from x to y), read by (your name)"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Chapter [number]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Old Friends, Essays in Epistolary Parody, by Andrew Lang. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      oldfriends_##_lang_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. oldfriends_01_lang_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
      Artist: Andrew Lang
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: Old Friends, Essays in Epistolary Parody

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Carolin
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

there are 23 chapters in this book, some are just one letter, some are exchanges of letters, sometimes between different people.

i will edit the chapters made up of letters by different people once all individual letters are submitted :)
Carolin
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

This seems interesting - could I read chapter 5, the letter from Herodotus?

I have quickly glanced through it, there are lots of Greek names - any idea where I could get a pronunciation guide? Or does it not matter to you?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Availle wrote:

I have quickly glanced through it, there are lots of Greek names - any idea where I could get a pronunciation guide? Or does it not matter to you?
Hi Ava

I have found Alan Weyman (AlanW) very helpful with pronunciations of ancient Greek.

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Carolin »

you can ask for help from a greek forum member, but you can also pronounce the names any other way you wish, as long as they are clear so that everyone can understand :)

if it was french id ask for a slightly higher standard, but you get to add some creativity to ancient greek.

thanks for claiming!
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

we are moving out to readers wanted :)
Carolin
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

Oh what fun! Can I please do section 15, chapter XI, Catherine Morland to Miss Tilney?
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

sure, thank you!
Carolin
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thanks a lot!
Carolin
kwdavids

Post by kwdavids »

I'd be willing to DPL for a while. Here are my comments on Section 15.

Section 15 is delightfully read and word perfect. The only issue with the recording is a significant background hum of 52.6 dB. When viewing the audio file in Audacity, you can see fuzz between the spoken parts. The Audacity Noise Reduction operator deals with this noise extremely well in a test I did.

Just in case you don't already know how to do Noise Reduction...

Instructions to remove the noise in Audacity.

1. Select the 5 seconds of silence at the end of the recording.
2. Use the Effect | Noise Reduction menu operation to display the Noise Reduction dialog.
3. Click the "Get Noise Profile" button. (the dialog closes)
4. Type Ctrl-A, then Ctrl-R.

Look at the audio track to verify that the fuzzy stuff has gone, and then save the file.
Kevin
At the last moment, I decided not to read this section in my "talk like a pirate" voice.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you kevin! im signing you up so that you can edit the magic window :)
Carolin
peppereater

Post by peppereater »

I would like to sign up as a Pl for any chapter and after getting my feet wet I will be looking to DPL a project .
Thanks Pepper
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

Thanks Kevin! I had done noise removal already believe it or not, but obviously it wasn't enough! I've done it again and think it should pass muster this time.
kwdavids

Post by kwdavids »

I can't hear the noise now, so I'm marking this PL OK. I personally think it's worth the effort to figure out where the noise is coming from and eliminate at the source for the long term. I, for example, had a problem with my laptop's fan.

There was an extra space at the end of the IDv3 Album tag, but I assume that can be fixed when cataloged if it matters at all. If not, Carolin can jump in.
chocmuse wrote:Thanks Kevin! I had done noise removal already believe it or not, but obviously it wasn't enough! I've done it again and think it should pass muster this time.
Kevin
At the last moment, I decided not to read this section in my "talk like a pirate" voice.