COMP [RUSSIAN] Огненная Россия by Алексей Ремизов - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Availle wrote: This project is now complete. All files can be found on the catalog page:
https://librivox.org/ognennaya-rossiya-by-aleksey-mikhailovich-remizov/

You can post your cover in the covers thread at any time, it's preclaimed for you.
Thank you, Ava!
I've submitted the cover. Just a small suggestion, if it's not too late.
It is cataloged as "Огненная Россия (Ognennaya Rossiya)".
Could we rather call it "Огненная Россия (Fiery Russia)"? That's what on the CD case.
I think, a translation is more useful than transliteration, would you agree? Do we have a standard naming convention?
Thank you again!
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

There is no naming convention, but...

- the recording is in Russian
- if I would look for it in Russian, I would either look for it using the cyrillic alphabet or a transliteration or by checking the author.
- if you use the English translation of the title, you are excluding everybody who does not know the English translation of the title (what would it be in German, Spanish... etc?) and cannot use the cyrillic alphabet in the search.

These are a few things you may want to keep in mind.
It's your project though, so I don't mind either way.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Availle wrote:These are a few things you may want to keep in mind.
It's your project though, so I don't mind either way.
Thank you for the tips, I weighed them.
I doubt anyone would search for the transliterated title of the book, but it's nice to have a meaningful title, so I think I'd rather have it my way :-)
Also, I changed the summary a few days ago, please update the English part.
Thank you again!
PS. You were curious about my CD cover design, I didn't come up with a better idea than to use the book cover :-(
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Hi
If you are going to change the cover writing anyhow, may I suggest adding a little colour to the background or else a frame ? It looks better on the places it is displayed that way . I don't mean bright pink :D . Just a pale beige or yellow or something too define the borders.
As to using non cyrillic titles. The disadvantage of using translations is that the same story can have several different English titles so using one of them in a search can be misleading. But it is your project . just let me know when the cover is ready to upload.

Anne
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Your call, Mark. :wink:

I have changed the title and adapted the summary, but only the English part. If you change the summary before cataloging, please let your MC know. Although it is automatically entered when the project is set up, it has to be updated manually.

I hear your woes with the CD cover. It's very hard to come up with something that's both beautiful and relevant, and has nice PD images. That's why I prefer not to ask for input on the covers I make: If you insist on a particular type of image and I cannot find any, we're both unhappy... Recently, I have started to look at modern and abstract art for covers. Not all of them are beautiful or relevant, but some of them can be very nice:
https://librivox.org/the-life-story-of-a-russian-exile-by-marie-sukloff/
https://librivox.org/private-sex-advice-to-women-by-r-b-armitage/

In this particular case, I would have thought about using an image involving fire: A close-up of a flame, a logfire, a burning something, a fireplace... As three of the stories have "fire" in the title, it might have been suitable...
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I know I'm overwhelming you with suggestions but you can always do a google image search on the title - you then need to check what you use is PD (and when the pages are in Russian I find that difficult )
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Ava, Annise, I'm grateful for your suggestions, the direct approach with generic images of fire would work just as well as a picture of a dead bird on a "To Kill a Mockingbird" cover :-) , but adding a background is a good idea, I should have done that!
Thanks again!