COMPLETE: Our American Cousin - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill » April 13th, 2015, 9:06 pm

Our American Cousin by Tom Taylor (1817 - 1880).

This project is complete and all audio files can be found in the catalogue: https://librivox.org/our-american-cousin-by-tom-taylor/
Our American Cousin is an 1858 three-act play by English playwright Tom Taylor. The play is a farce whose plot is based on the introduction of an awkward, boorish, but honest American, Asa Trenchard, to his aristocratic English relatives when he goes to England to claim the family estate. . . . Although the play achieved great renown during its first few years and remained very popular throughout the second half of the 19th century, it is best remembered as the play U.S. President Abraham Lincoln was attending in Ford's Theatre when he was assassinated by actor and Confederate sympathizer John Wilkes Booth on April 14, 1865. ( Wikipedia)

Casting is gender-specific. Descriptions of roles are here.

Scripts are linked from the Magic Window, next to your chosen role (right click, open in new tab).
Or click here: Act 1 | Act 2 | Act 3

RobBoard and jessieyun0404 will PL parts; jessieyun0404 will PL completed acts. PL is standard.

1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3158
    5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin ===========================================
      Genres for the project: Plays/Comedy
      Keywords that describe the book:
      ============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
    7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: Act [#] of Our American Cousin, by Tom Taylor. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Save files as 128 kbps MP3
      ouramericancousin_[role]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the act number.
    9. Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Rapunzelina
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by silverquill on August 31st, 2015, 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~ Larry

silverquill

Post by silverquill » April 13th, 2015, 9:17 pm

Today, April 14, 2015, is the 150th anniversary of the assassination of U.S. President Abraham Lincoln. It was no coincidence that this play, Our American Cousin, was the one he was watching at Ford's Theater that night. Actor John Wilkes Booth chose a spot in the play known to illicit loud audience laughter that might obscure the sound of his gunshot.

This play has seven female roles and ten male roles.

The parts will be GENDER SPECIFIC.

I will read Asa and RonBoard will read Lord Dundreary

Ron will also sever as main DPL but volunteers will be needed to share PL duties.

This should be a really fun play to read and put together!
~ Larry

jessieyun0404

Post by jessieyun0404 » April 13th, 2015, 10:05 pm

Hello, Larry.

PLer reporting for duty!
~ Jessie (Jisu)

Film Student, Epic Music Composer.
Now in College. And I don't know when I'll be back. . .

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » April 13th, 2015, 10:59 pm

Woo-hoo! I've been watching for this project all day! I'd like the witty woman's part please! (Florence Trenchard)

Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia » April 13th, 2015, 11:37 pm

If you're accepting claims I'd like to request Mrs. Mountchessington please.
Bev

I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
Everybody's got a mountain to climb - Dickey Betts
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart

RobMarland

Post by RobMarland » April 14th, 2015, 12:33 am

If you're thinking about joining us on this project, you might like to know more about the characters. A star (*) before the name means the role is open - claim away!

SCRIPTS
ACT I https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MxlwN_kXdMO6Q7ol1SSYPnfPqampKLYl2cLGEp_keOA/pub
ACT II https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lMyzbpPatZW5pZjxqNnZvYaXqYmwD0ptlZBb4gZxwE0/pub
ACT III https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IHjZxmCTXIxEDjN0amTS7b-vOp4X7oTCn9wissthLX4/pub

MALE ROLES
Asa Trenchard - (250 lines) A brash American fresh off the boat from Vermont. He's in England to claim his inheritance, but instead finds love with Mary.
Lord Dundreary - (165 lines) A dim British noble. Always bumping into the furniture and making a fool of himself.
Sir Edward Trenchard - (62 lines) The lord of Trenchard Manor, where the play is set.
Mr. Coyle - (59 lines) Agent (lawyer/accountant) for Sir Edward. The villain of the piece, he tries to steal Sir Edward's fortune and force Florence into marriage.
Mr. Binny - (50 lines) Butler. Bosses around the "lower" servants. Often adds H's to words that don't need them in an effort to sound posher than he really is.
Abel Murcott - (43 lines) Coyle's assistant. A penitant alcoholic who is battling with the demon drink (and his conscience). Rebels against his boss's wicked plans and helps to save the day.
Mr. Buddicombe - (23 lines) Valet to Lord Dundreary.
Harry Vernon - (14 lines) Young man. A lieutenant in the navy who is desperate for a ship of his own.
John Wickens - (11 lines) Young servant.
Captain De Boots - (5 lines) A rich soldier. Augusta tries to woo him.

FEMALE ROLES
Florence Trenchard - (175 lines) Witty young woman. Daughter to Sir Edward. Secretly in love with Harry Vernon.
Mary Meredith - (53 lines) A contented young milk maid at Trenchard manor. She is the rightful heir to a family fortune which, unknown to her, has been left to Asa. She and Asa fall for one another.
Mrs. Mountchessington - (42 lines) A scheming matriarch. Tries to marry off her daughters to the richest men she can find.
Georgina Mountchessington - (36 lines) A comic role. She is a wet blanket whose catchphrase is "I'm so delicate", but her girly voice and exaggerated ladylike persona are merely an act to woo Lord Drundreary. Partial to screaming and fainting.
Augusta Mountchessington - (33 lines) Young middle-class woman. Plays along with her mother's schemes to get her married off to a man of means.
Sharpe - (4 lines) A servant
Skillet - (5 lines) A servant
Last edited by RobMarland on November 25th, 2015, 4:51 am, edited 8 times in total.
Rob Marland reader section | website

RobMarland

Post by RobMarland » April 14th, 2015, 12:37 am

Beth, Bev - The parts are yours! Thanks for joining us.

Jessie, thanks too: you can be our DPL. If I happen to see that someone has posted a part and I have a moment to PL it, I will probably go ahead and do that. But it will be great to have your help too. Besides, I have already recorded my part: as soon as we have a MC I will upload my files for you to PL.

Kristingj

Post by Kristingj » April 14th, 2015, 2:13 am

could I do Mary, please?

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » April 14th, 2015, 2:25 am

Hello! Let me MC! I'll try to set it up :)

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » April 14th, 2015, 2:43 am

MW is in place. Larry is in as BC, Rob as co-BC and Jessie as DPL, so you all have access to the Magic Window, but let me know if you'd like it some other way around. Since you'll be two PLers, I think it would help to post every time you intend to pl a certain file, to avoid duplicate work.
Also, add the PL level required in the first post, please.
Perhaps another summary would be preferable, written by one of us Librivoxers, instead of a wikipedia one. And also a few keywords by the time we get to cataloguing :wink:
This seems like an entertaining play. Have fun with the project!

RobMarland

Post by RobMarland » April 14th, 2015, 2:55 am

Rapunzelina wrote: This seems like an entertaining play. Have fun with the project!
Thanks for getting us set up so quickly!

RobMarland

Post by RobMarland » April 14th, 2015, 3:00 am

Ok, Jessie, here are my files for Lord Dundreary for PLing.

The original actor played him with a severe lisp and rhotacism, which I have emulated. Hopefully it doesn't make me too incomprehensible!

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ouramericancousin_dundreary_01.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ouramericancousin_dundreary_02.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ouramericancousin_dundreary_03.mp3

commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 » April 14th, 2015, 4:56 am

May I have Augusta?

RobMarland

Post by RobMarland » April 14th, 2015, 5:07 am

commonsparrow3 wrote:May I have Augusta?
Hi Maria, you got it! Thanks for joining in.

Kristingj

Post by Kristingj » April 14th, 2015, 5:34 am

Kristingj wrote:could I do Mary, please?
Did you see this?