[COMPLETE] Good Cheer Stories Every Child Should Know-PhilC

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

bekaroo09 wrote:Hello Phil,

May I please have section 5 "The First Thanksgiving"?

Thank you.

Bekaroo
That is yours BekarooImage
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
tayshalynn

Post by tayshalynn »

May I take Section 2 - Thankful?

Thanks!
- tayshalynn
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

tayshalynn wrote:May I take Section 2 - Thankful?

Thanks!
- tayshalynn
Certainly, section 2 is all yours. :D EDIT: have you done your 1 minute test?. please let me know.
EDIT again: I see you have sent in your test but need to change a few things and submit another. That will work out fine I'm sure. In any case I will assgin that section to you but please don't record it until you get your recording set up right. Please let me know how you would like to be credited in the catalog. What name. Most of us use our real names but it is up to you. Ask if you have any questions at all. :D
crystalann820

Post by crystalann820 »

I would like to read Chapter 3. Is it still available?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

crystalann820 wrote:I would like to read Chapter 3. Is it still available?
YES, it is available and you may have it. Welcome to LibrVox and to this project. How would you like to be credited in our catalog? what name? most of us use our real names but it is up to you. Ask if anything is confusing or unclear. We are a friendly lot here. Here are some flowers for you Image
crystalann820

Post by crystalann820 »

Hello Phil,

Thank you for the very gracious welcome.

Crystal Rogers for the credit would be just perfect.

Thanks!
Ladeebug

Post by Ladeebug »

johntkucz wrote:Thanks for PLing, Tawnya!
I agree that 'does have a moral' bit was important. I added the theodore wright ending and the five seconds. Thanks.
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/goodcheerstories_18_dickinson_128kb.mp3

Great! Thanks John! This was a nice little story.
Section 18 is PL OK.

Tawnya
*Having computer troubles. Will be back to PL as soon as I can*
Thank you everyone for your patience.
tayshalynn

Post by tayshalynn »

philchenevert wrote:

Thanks!
- tayshalynn
Certainly, section 2 is all yours. :D EDIT: have you done your 1 minute test?. please let me know.
EDIT again: I see you have sent in your test but need to change a few things and submit another. That will work out fine I'm sure. In any case I will assgin that section to you but please don't record it until you get your recording set up right. Please let me know how you would like to be credited in the catalog. What name. Most of us use our real names but it is up to you. Ask if you have any questions at all. :D
Phil, I got confirmation the new 1-minute test I submitted is acceptable now. I would like to use my name: Taysha Lynn. Thank you for checking!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

tayshalynn wrote:
philchenevert wrote:

Thanks!
- tayshalynn
Phil, I got confirmation the new 1-minute test I submitted is acceptable now. I would like to use my name: Taysha Lynn. Thank you for checking!
:thumbs: Will take care of that. Enjoy recording and have fun. :thumbs:
crystalann820

Post by crystalann820 »

philchenevert wrote:
YES, it is available and you may have it. Welcome to LibrVox and to this project. How would you like to be credited in our catalog? what name? most of us use our real names but it is up to you. Ask if anything is confusing or unclear. We are a friendly lot here. Here are some flowers for you Image
Hello Phil,

I've uploaded Chapter 3: https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/goodcheerstories_03_dickinson_128kb.mp3

As this is my very first upload, in addition to any standard feedback, I heartily welcome any suggestions for improvements or other constructive criticisms you may have.

Thank you!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

crystalann820 wrote:
philchenevert wrote:
Hello Phil,

I've uploaded Chapter 3: https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/goodcheerstories_03_dickinson_128kb.mp3

As this is my very first upload, in addition to any standard feedback, I heartily welcome any suggestions for improvements or other constructive criticisms you may have.

Thank you!
And thank you. Petunia the Perky LibriVox Penguin(a volunteer)Imagewill put this into the Magic Window for proof listening. Our DPL will surely give you some feedback. How did you feel about the recording when you edited it? Did it sound OK to you? By the way, that was a rather long section to start off with but I'm sure you did fine.
crystalann820

Post by crystalann820 »

philchenevert wrote: And thank you. Petunia the Perky LibriVox Penguin(a volunteer)Imagewill put this into the Magic Window for proof listening. Our DPL will surely give you some feedback. How did you feel about the recording when you edited it? Did it sound OK to you? By the way, that was a rather long section to start off with but I'm sure you did fine.
I felt pretty good about it. I noticed most of the times that I stumbled during the recording and was able to re-read the sentence and edit out or smooth the pauses a bit afterwards. I did notice one or two words that sounded a little softly pronounced as I listed back that I hadn't noticed during the reading. The length seemed ok; when I read it aloud to myself without recording it seemed shorter than when I was recording. :D In the future, I think I would feel comfortable doing this length again, but would give myself the opportunity to pause a little more mid-way through. In this case, during my test recording, when I tried to pause and start recording again, Audacity did not behave the way I thought it should (it started a second mono recording) so I read straight through to avoid this. I plan to watch more of your videos and other available online content to become a better Audacity user.

If I am able to get and incorporate the feedback quickly, I would be happy to do another chapter for you. It has been a pleasure working with you.
Ladeebug

Post by Ladeebug »

Hello Phil,

Thank you![/quote]

Hi Crystal,

I found there were some popping p's and s's in this recording. I took a listen to your one minute test and the sound quality was different. Maybe you were sitting too close to the microphone and your breath was hitting it this time? Did your settings change from your one minute test to this recording?

Here is a guide to help with the plosives - http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Improve_Your_Recording

You did really well with the change of voices for the characters. I think many people choose to just read in the same voice because it can be daunting to find a new voice for each person. I could tell which character was speaking while you read.

Your speed was great, my ear was able to follow along and keep up with the story.

I marked this as PL Notes only because you didn't leave a full five seconds at the end of your recording and for the p's (a little hard on the ears).

As for the popping p's and s's, I am not a technical expert (which is why I proof listen and do not record), but I think there is something Audacity can do to soften these up. Maybe you could run it through and give it a try?

I hope this feedback helps. You really did a wonderful job for your first long recording. Congrats!

Tawnya
*Having computer troubles. Will be back to PL as soon as I can*
Thank you everyone for your patience.
crystalann820

Post by crystalann820 »

Ladeebug wrote:Hello Phil,

Hi Crystal,

I found there were some popping p's and s's in this recording. I took a listen to your one minute test and the sound quality was different. Maybe you were sitting too close to the microphone and your breath was hitting it this time? Did your settings change from your one minute test to this recording?

Here is a guide to help with the plosives - http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Improve_Your_Recording

You did really well with the change of voices for the characters. I think many people choose to just read in the same voice because it can be daunting to find a new voice for each person. I could tell which character was speaking while you read.

Your speed was great, my ear was able to follow along and keep up with the story.

I marked this as PL Notes only because you didn't leave a full five seconds at the end of your recording and for the p's (a little hard on the ears).

As for the popping p's and s's, I am not a technical expert (which is why I proof listen and do not record), but I think there is something Audacity can do to soften these up. Maybe you could run it through and give it a try?

I hope this feedback helps. You really did a wonderful job for your first long recording. Congrats!

Tawnya
Hello Tawnya,

Thank you so much for your time and feedback. I found it very helpful. I had thought that all my settings were the same, but as I am new at this, it is quite possible that I overlooked something. I hope its ok, but in order to (hopefully) improve my recording, I decided to re-record the whole of the story using a new, higher-quality mic that I just received as an early birthday present. :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/goodcheerstories_03_dickinson_128kbv2.mp3

If you still notice that I am having issues with s's and p's it may be that I just have the mic too close; however, I reduced the sensitivity of the new mic to avoid that issue. The MP3 I uploaded first had 5 seconds of empty air at the end, but maybe it lost something in the uploading, I left more time on the end this round to correct that issue.

Please let me know how this one goes. Hopefully, if it still needs work, I can edit the file directly (now that I am figuring out audacity).

Thanks again!

Crystal
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

crystalann820 wrote:
philchenevert wrote: And thank you. Petunia the Perky LibriVox Penguin(a volunteer)Imagewill put this into the Magic Window for proof listening. Our DPL will surely give you some feedback. How did you feel about the recording when you edited it? Did it sound OK to you? By the way, that was a rather long section to start off with but I'm sure you did fine.
I felt pretty good about it. I noticed most of the times that I stumbled during the recording and was able to re-read the sentence and edit out or smooth the pauses a bit afterwards. I did notice one or two words that sounded a little softly pronounced as I listed back that I hadn't noticed during the reading. The length seemed ok; when I read it aloud to myself without recording it seemed shorter than when I was recording. :D In the future, I think I would feel comfortable doing this length again, but would give myself the opportunity to pause a little more mid-way through. In this case, during my test recording, when I tried to pause and start recording again, Audacity did not behave the way I thought it should (it started a second mono recording) so I read straight through to avoid this. I plan to watch more of your videos and other available online content to become a better Audacity user.

If I am able to get and incorporate the feedback quickly, I would be happy to do another chapter for you. It has been a pleasure working with you.
EDIT: Which new and open section would you like to claim? 11 looks nice.
EDIT: Which section would you like to claim?
Congrats on your first recording. Please understand that you can pause anytime you wish while recording by pressing the space bar. When you start recording again, Audacity will automatically start a new session underneath the first unless you "append record" which just starts recording in the same track as the first. Contrl + R will do this for you. I pause many many times during a track, sometimes for days, then just pick up in the same track as before with this. You soound like you are learning editing very quickly, that is great. And thanks for explaining your process it helps me help you make it easier and better. keep asking questions!!!! :thumbs: