[COMPLETE] History of Chemistry by Thomas Thomson - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Sienna

Post by Sienna »

The History of Chemistry by Thomas Thomson (1773 - 1852).

This project is now complete. All files can be found on the catalog page:
https://librivox.org/the-history-of-chemistry-by-thomas-thomson/

Origin and progress of chemistry, from its beginnings in alchemy into the early 19th century including history and characters of important contributors to the science.
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!):
      VOLUME 1 - https://archive.org/details/historyofchemist01unse
      VOLUME 2 - https://archive.org/details/historyofchemist02unse
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Please do not read footnotes.

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of The History of Chemistry. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The History of Chemistry, by Thomas Thomson. Volume [number], Chapter [number] [Title (if applicable)] Part [number (if applicable)]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Section [number]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The History of Chemistry, by Thomas Thomson. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      historyofchemistry_##_thomson_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number. (e.g. historyofchemistry_01_thomson_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
        https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Availle - availle
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below
Last edited by Sienna on March 16th, 2015, 11:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Sienna

Post by Sienna »

Chapter numbers in the second volume of the book are incorrect. Please follow the chapters as listed in the magic window.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Haven't MC'ed a decent science project in a while... Oh well, I've just cleared out two other projects, so I have time and space :wink:

Standby for Magic Window!
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Okay, that's it for now, everything looks good.

We'll need a summary before cataloging, but you know that :wink:

It might be a good idea to add the note about the section numbers above the magic window - when I read, I only check the first post, I guess other people might do so too...

Have fun!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Digs

Post by Digs »

MW is completely blank. :?:
------------------------------
A neutron comes into a bar and orders a beer. How much? he asks. The bartender replies, "for you, no charge".
Sienna

Post by Sienna »

Still working on updating the MW with the sections.

I also do not know an easy and accurate way of doing a word count on an epub or pdf, so I will leave that info out.
Sienna

Post by Sienna »

Okay, MW completed!!
janbbeck

Post by janbbeck »

I would like to be DPL, please.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

DPL added.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Sienna

Post by Sienna »

janbbeck wrote:I would like to be DPL, please.
Thank you, janbbeck!!!

I am claiming Section 00 to start.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Okay, with that all in place, we'll move to "Readers wanted".

Sienna, if you're reading anyway, you could check how long it takes you for reading one page and then give an estimate of the (finished) recording time for the other sections. It's not a word count, but it might help to see something like "might take about 40 minutes".

Something similar has been done in the National Geographic Books, it says somewhere "experience shows that 10 pages of this book will be around 30 minutes of finished recording".
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Digs

Post by Digs »

Great to see this coming together so quickly.

In the hope that an e-version of this work could be created concurrently, I posted it to the "Books I'd like to see in PG" forum (PG = Project Gutenberg). Not only did this generate interest from a potential project manager (PM), but this wonderful person also gave us links to much better scans of the books:

Vol 1: https://archive.org/details/historyofchemist01unse
Vol 2: https://archive.org/details/historyofchemist02unse

If you look at the downloadable pdf file of the link from which we're to read, you'll see that, although the scans appear to be complete in the online version, in the downloaded pdf many pages (look at the pdf file's pages 204-240, the problem is usually on the even numbered page) are vertically chopped off along one margin, to the point of illegibility. In contrast, the pdf files of the above links are complete. I, for one, would prefer to read from a complete page....

Dorothy.
------------------------------
A neutron comes into a bar and orders a beer. How much? he asks. The bartender replies, "for you, no charge".
Sienna

Post by Sienna »

Thanks Dorothy!

I changed the source to the links you provided.

MW updated with approximate word counts.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

3642 is "approximate" these days? :lol:

What was the first book link you had - it had both volumes included in one? It might be preferrable to link to on the catalog page after all, that's why I'm asking. And if it's only the pdf version that is scrambled... (I usually read from the online version provided, no need to download the whole tome if I only read chapter 3 or so) I can add two text links also though.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Sienna

Post by Sienna »

Inaccurate then. :wink:

Here is the link to the book with the 2 volumes: https://archive.org/details/historychemistr01thomgoog

In the link above and also in the google book link, there were plenty of unreadable pages (at least, not the same pages for archive and google book, so you can use the other if one is unreadable). The ones provided by Dorothy seem to be better. It also doesn't contain the chapter numbering errors in volume 2.