COMPL [DR] The Trial of Oscar Wilde (court transcript) - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

The Trial of Oscar Wilde by Anonymous ( - ).

This project is complete and all audio files can be found in the catalogue: https://librivox.org/the-trial-of-oscar-wilde-dramatic-reading-by-anonymous/

In 1895 Oscar Wilde was convicted of gross indecency and sentenced to two years' hard labor. This account of his two trials was compiled from the original shorthand court reports by an anonymous author. While a fuller account of the trial was published several years later, it censored details that would have been considered shocking to most early 20th century readers. This shorter version was clearly intended for a more prurient reader. In it we hear Wilde's famous defence of "the love that dare not speak its name", and see the evidence mount as a succession of attractive young men step into the witness box to tell how they were seduced by the playwright. (Rob Board)
This book contains references to sexual behaviour. If you are a minor or of a squeamish disposition, this might not be the project for you.

Casting is gender-neutral (except for Wilde and Taylor, please). Descriptions of roles are here.

Scripts are linked from the Magic Window, next to your chosen role (right click, open in new tab).

I will PL parts; Kitty will PL completed acts. PL is standard.

1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/38916 (Please read from the Google Doc scripts: the links are beside the role names in the Magic Window)
    5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
    7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file: At the beginning: Section [#] of The Trial of Oscar Wilde by Anonymous. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Section [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Save files as 128 kbps MP3
      trialofoscarwilde_[role]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case) where # is the section number.

Filename for edited final files: trialofoscarwilde_[#]_anon_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where # is the section number
    9. Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
        https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Rapunzelina
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by RobMarland on December 18th, 2015, 3:47 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Rob Marland reader section | website
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

If you're thinking about contributing to the project, you might like to know more about the characters. A star (*) before the name means the role is still open. In each group of roles, the larger parts are listed first.

Casting is gender neutral, but I think the witnesses should be read by women as these were all men in their late teens / early 20s and there probably aren't enough of those knocking about on LV. I would also prefer male readers for Wilde and Taylor. Everything else, take your pick. I prefer, if possible, to have all the roles read by different people, so there's no need to claim multiple small parts. I will be narrating and editing.

SCRIPTS
Section 1
Section 2
Section 3
Section 4
Section 5
Section 6
Section 7

DEFENDANTS (Male readers only, please)
Oscar Wilde - Standing trial for committing "indecent acts" with young men. Aged 39 (*koff* 40 *koff*).
Alfred Taylor - A 33 year old alleged procurer of young men for "indecent acts". The prosecution thinks it is very suspcious that he likes to wear a kimono, burn incense, and keep his curtains drawn. Not a large role: most of his lines come in Section 6 when he is cross examined.

LAWYERS (Male / Female readers)
Mr. C. F. Gill (image)- Prosecuting counsel in the first (longer) trial. He examines witnesses and cross-examines Wilde. One of the largest roles.
Sir Edward Clarke (wiki) - Wilde's counsel. He cross-examines most of the prosecution's witnesses. One of the largest roles.
Mr. J. P. Grain - Taylor's counsel. Cross-examines prosecution witnesses.
Sir Frank Lockwood (wiki)- Prosecuting counsel in the second trial. Cross examines Wilde and Taylor.
Mr. Horace Avory (wiki)- Junior prosecuting counsel. Examines Frank Atkins in Section 3.
Mr. Hall - Taylor's junior counsel. Has only one line towards the end of Section 5.

JUDGE & JURY (Male / Female readers)
Mr. Justice Charles (image) - The judge in Wilde's first trial. Makes an occasional comment, but most of his lines come in the summing up in Section 5
Mr. Justice Wills (wiki) - The judge in Wilde's second trial (the smaller of the two judge roles).
Foreman of the jury 1 -
Foreman of the jury 2 - both foreman parts are very small.

PROSECUTION WITNESSES (Female readers)
Frank Atkins - A male prostitute and conman. He is examined and cross-examined in Section 3, and returns to be further examined in Section 4 when it becomes clear he has perjured himself.
Edward Shelley - Young man, introduced to Wilde by Taylor. Very ashamed of the "indecencies" he committed with Wilde. Comes across as a naive hero-worshipper. Cross examined by Sir Edward in Sections 4 and 7.
Charles Parker - A shy male prostitute. Under examination he admits to having had sex with Wilde. Most of his lines are in Section 3, but he has a couple of lines in Section 7 (which are not for the faint hearted).
Alfred Wood - Another male prostitute. Admits to having had sex with Wilde. Small part, all lines in Section 3.
Sidney Mavor - A possibly innocent young man whom Taylor introduced to Wilde. Very small part, all lines in Section 4.

WRITERS (Male / Female readers)
Hugues Rebell - (wiki) A French author quoted by the narrator in the first two sections.
Arthur Symons - (wiki) British critic. The narrator quotes one article on Wilde in Section 2.
Baron Macauley - (wiki) British politician. The narrator quotes one speech in Section 2.
Octave Mirbeau - (wiki) French journalist. The narrator quotes one article on Wilde in Section 2.
Newspaper reporter - An anonymous journalist for a London paper. One article is quoted in Section 3.
John Milton - Poet. The narrator quotes one short poem in Section 2.
Last edited by RobMarland on October 22nd, 2019, 1:37 am, edited 31 times in total.
jessieyun0404

Post by jessieyun0404 »

Interesting project, Rob!

I'm quite busy, so I want to claim Newspaper Reporter. May I? :)
~Jessie

Epic Music composer studying Film and Media Arts, BA :D
I love lights, camera, colors, and story!
Here are some tunes I made.

Staying in the U.S. starting Fall 2021.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I'd like to read Charles Parker please!
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

jessieyun0404 wrote:Interesting project, Rob!

I'm quite busy, so I want to claim Newspaper Reporter. May I? :)
Hi Jessie,

Thanks! If this book were a movie it would probably be an 18 certificate, so most parts aren't suitable for minors. I have re-read the newspaper reporter's lines and they are fine. It is not for me to police what you read, but I think it would be sensible to ask you to check with your parents if they are happy for you to read a part in this book. In the meantime, I will sign you up.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Elizabby wrote:I'd like to read Charles Parker please!
Thanks, Beth. You're signed up.
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

I'd like to read Edward Shelley, if I may.

This is my first dramatic reading, so if there is anything I can do in the recording to make it easier for you edit, please let me know.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Newgatenovelist wrote:I'd like to read Edward Shelley, if I may.

This is my first dramatic reading, so if there is anything I can do in the recording to make it easier for you edit, please let me know.
Great, glad to have you on board! All I would suggest is that you leave a couple of seconds between each line. A common mistake (I make it myself sometimes) is to scroll with your mouse or click a key on the keyboard to advance the text immediately after reading the line. This can be audible and difficult to edit out. The fun thing about this book is that it is made up of a quick-fire exchange of lines, so your performance might fit in better with the person you are talking to if you also play their part in your head as you read along. I'm no actor myself, but I have found that works for me.
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

I'd really like to do Sir Edward Clark, if you're okay with me being female and all:)
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
Ladeebug

Post by Ladeebug »

Hi Rob,

Do you need a DPL for this project? I would be interested in helping out if I could be of use.

Tawnya
*Having computer troubles. Will be back to PL as soon as I can*
Thank you everyone for your patience.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Ladeebug wrote:Hi Rob,

Do you need a DPL for this project? I would be interested in helping out if I could be of use.

Tawnya
Hi Tawnya,

Sounds good, thanks! I will PL the parts as they come in, as I think it's easier that way given that I'll be editing. But if you could PL the completed chapters, that would be great.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Kristingj wrote:I'd really like to do Sir Edward Clark, if you're okay with me being female and all:)
Thanks, Kristin! That would be great.
Ladeebug

Post by Ladeebug »

Wonderful! Can't wait to help out.
*Having computer troubles. Will be back to PL as soon as I can*
Thank you everyone for your patience.
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

RobBoard wrote:
Kristingj wrote:I'd really like to do Sir Edward Clark, if you're okay with me being female and all:)
Thanks, Kristin! That would be great.
:mrgreen:
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

What a great idea for a project! May I claim the role of Frank Atkins?
Between being a full-time college student and working 20+ hours per week, I'm not able to be involved at LV these days, but I remain a loyal fan and look forward to a triumphant return sometime in the (probably distant) future.