[COMPLETE] Leviathan (Bks I-II) by Thomas Hobbes - ge

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
d.e.wittkower

Post by d.e.wittkower »

LEVIATHAN, OR THE MATTER, FORME, & POWER OF A COMMON-WEALTH ECCLESIASTICAL AND CIVILL (Books I and II) by Thomas Hobbes of Malmesbury.

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/leviathan-books-i-and-ii-by-thomas-hobbes/
  1. How to claim a parte, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to recorde, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d fain to read (include the section number from the left-moste column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: Aprilish? – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the poole. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Gutenberg e-text: http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext02/lvthn10.txt
    Also, please note the links to specifick sections, in the 'reader list' thingy below.
  5. Please claime sections (the numbers in the first column below)!

BC link
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please checke the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and ende of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Leviathan. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the publick domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Leviathan, by Thomas Hobbes. Chapter [number]"

Ende of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of Chapter [number]"
      If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the beginning of the booke, please read out the full title, as followes:
      "Leviathan, or the Matter, Forme, and Power of a Common-Wealth Ecclesiatical and Civill, Parts One and Two, by Thomas Hobbes."
    • At the ende of the booke, say (in addition):
      "End of Leviathan, or the Matter, Forme, and Power of a Common-Wealth Ecclesiatical and Civill, Parts One and Two, by Thomas Hobbes."

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the ende of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some background noise, you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this thread for more information.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    leviathan_##_hobbes.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (leviathan_01_hobbes.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please minde upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Thomas Hobbes
    Album: Leviathan

Example:
    Title: 06 - Of the Interior Beginnings of Voluntary Motions Commonly Called the Passions, and the Speeches by Which They Are Expressed
    Filename: leviathan_06_hobbes.mp3

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ge - Gesine
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
    • your name/pseudonym as you want to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and your website URL if you like. These are only necessary if this is your first LibriVox recording.
    • the file size of your .mp3 file.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me.

Additionall, non-standard notes:
  • Footnotes may be included or excluded by your private judgment.
  • I don't believe there's an excess of technicall or foreign terms, but if you run across one, the pronunciation of which vexes and waylays, feel free to email me and I'll send you a recording of it. Forthwith.
  • I'm not yet sure what we ought to do with the table in Ch. IX.
  • In case this is either of help or intereste, I have uploaded my recent class sessions discussing the text. Any questions about the content and meaning of the text are also welcome.
Lecture introducing the text, and discussing Introduction and chs. 13-16:
http://www.mediafire.com/?4ewzidmmzto

Lecture on chs. 17-21:
http://www.mediafire.com/?9emzxjtjmiu

Lecture on chs. 26, 29-30:
http://www.mediafire.com/?8ldxgkho2mt
Last edited by d.e.wittkower on January 29th, 2007, 7:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Hi there, d.e.,

I'll MC this project for you.

Database thingumy to follow shortly...

David
d.e.wittkower

Post by d.e.wittkower »

I think Gesine wanted to MC it, actually. And, as Hobbes teaches, "no man can obey two masters."

You two are now in a state of Warre!
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Man, she's slow!

OK, Gesine's it is. (It would have been my 45th current project, which is probably greedy!)

David
d.e.wittkower

Post by d.e.wittkower »

Sorry, I meant only to say she expressed a willingness. I'm not sure how committed she is in particular.

I was mostly just taking the opportunity to joke around.
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Hi de,

Unless you already have them earmarked for you, I'll take the introductory stuff and the first three chapters.

Thanks,
Carl.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
d.e.wittkower

Post by d.e.wittkower »

They're yours, Carl. I'll get your name up there once I . . . figure out how to get your name up there.

I am claiming chapters 13-16.
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

I've PM'd Gesine, so she knows to look here. I'm sure she'd see it anyway, but I wouldn't like to be on the wrong end of her ire... :D

David
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Yes David, be very careful of that terrible ire of mine... ;)

I'd better take this on then, since it'll only be my 41st project and I wouldn't want to appear as slacking in comparison. :) Besides, I've just recorded my section of the Essays in Radical Empiricism, so I feel sufficiently in the philosophical mood.

So let's see... the reader list is already done, thank you, David!

d.e., well done for getting your first BC project this far! Some small changes to be made to the first post, if you don't mind, I'll just get them done. And I'll send you a PM with the admin pw etc, and then you can sign people up.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Well, actually, I won't make those changes, d.e. - instead, I'll let you make them:

- point 7. Please specify what exactly you want people to say (i.e. replace what is in the square brackets with the real text]. Do you want things like 'Book 1, chapter 04' or just continuous chapters? etc.

- point 8. Alas, Roman numerals won't sort properly in players. Need to have Arabic throughout, always with leading zeros for 1-9.

- Do you have enough sections in the reader list? There seem to be more than 40 in the text, but maybe you're assigning them differently. In any case, when you get around to it, please put the section titles in the title field in the admin.

Hope this is ok.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Oh and since I requested this project, I'd better read some of it - but it'll have to be a short section because I'm over-committed... let's see - how about CHAPTER VII: OF THE ENDS OR RESOLUTIONS OF DISCOURSE?
d.e.wittkower

Post by d.e.wittkower »

Thanks, Gesine. I think things should be better now.

On the Roman numerals - I was thinking we could put "track ## of ##" info in the ID3 tags, but I suppose this might not sort right within some players . . .

On the number of sections, I have it set up for us to do only Parts I and II of Leviathan, since Parts III and IV are so infrequently read, and are not nearly as important for most readers of Hobbes. Many printed editions don't even include them.

BTW; I included text links to a different version of the text; one with html anchors. Hope that isn't an issue.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

The links to text sections are great. You may want to put a note in the first post to point out that they are links, as people may not realise (it's not commonly done).

I've made some tiny changes - you had the filename with hyphens and underscores; I've made both into underscores. I've added 'Chapter [number] of Leviathan' to the beginning of the disclaimer - this is a new thing to do to help people with non-screen players identify the chapter without having to listen to the disclaimer first.

Just to clarify: we shouldn't read the full title, just 'Leviathan?'
Jacob Ross

Post by Jacob Ross »

Hi d.e. and others

I am a novice here but I'd like to try section 28 (CHAPTER XXVIII
OF PUNISHMENTS AND REWARDS). If that goes well I'll be back for more! Good luck with this project. Jake
d.e.wittkower

Post by d.e.wittkower »

Gesine, I think I'll ask Carl if he can read the full title just once at the very beginning, and perhaps whoever get the last chapter to read it at the very end. Other than that "Leviathan" is really what it's known as, and the full title might get truly annoying around the eighth or ninth time.

Jacob, good to have you on board. I do recommend trying a poem first – it's fun, won't take long, and it's a good opportunity to figure out how to manage recordings without dealing with a truly large chunk of old English.