[COMPLETE] [PLAY] - Magna Carta - ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Could I do the Narrator?

-denny
[u][url=http://tinyurl.com/MyLVReadings][color=purple][size=84]Projects Completed & In Progress[/size][/color][/url][/u].
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

DSayers wrote:Could I do the Narrator?

-denny
Thank you! Please do! :mrgreen:
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

DSayers wrote:Could I do the Narrator?

-denny

Thanks, Denny. Sorry, I didn't see your claim when you made it. You are now in the MW.
Rob Marland reader section | website
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi, could I do the messenger please?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Availle wrote:Hi, could I do the messenger please?
Thanks, Ava. The messenger is only in scene 4 https://archive.org/stream/historicalplaysf02macd#page/n107/mode/2up
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

I have a question about beginning my recording of the Stage Directions.

Before the play commences, there is a long introduction to two plays, The Magna Carta and Edward III, which is largely about making costumes for children to perform in. Since we are not reading Edward III, and the introduction has little that pertains directly to the dramatic reading of The Magna Carta, I would think it makes sense to begin with the title, the dramatis personae, the description of scenes, and then the scenes of the play itself.

How would the BC like me to begin?

Thanks,
-denny
[u][url=http://tinyurl.com/MyLVReadings][color=purple][size=84]Projects Completed & In Progress[/size][/color][/url][/u].
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

DSayers wrote:I have a question about beginning my recording of the Stage Directions.

Before the play commences, there is a long introduction to two plays, The Magna Carta and Edward III, which is largely about making costumes for children to perform in. Since we are not reading Edward III, and the introduction has little that pertains directly to the dramatic reading of The Magna Carta, I would think it makes sense to begin with the title, the dramatis personae, the description of scenes, and then the scenes of the play itself.

How would the BC like me to begin?

Thanks,
-denny
Hi Denny,

Beth and I haven't discussed this, but I noticed the same thing and thought it made sense to skip that intro. If we were recording the whole book it might make sense to include it, but I think most people will be listening because of the Magna Carta connection rather than because they are staging a kids' play, so it would be superfluous information.

But good idea to record the scene descriptions. And yes, could you also record the dramatis personae and descriptions? Readers will state their own names, but it will be useful to have the role descriptions to edit in. Oh, and because there are lots of stage directions and I imagine this might make it difficult for the listener to follow, could you state character names when they precede a stage direction? E.g. where it says "William (puts out hand). This is a hard command," I think it will flow better if you include the character name.
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

RobBoard wrote: Oh, and because there are lots of stage directions and I imagine this might make it difficult for the listener to follow, could you state character names when they precede a stage direction? E.g. where it says "William (puts out hand). This is a hard command," I think it will flow better if you include the character name.
Yeh, I started doing it that way when I narrated The Naturewoman, and the BC thought it was helpful.

-denny
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Excellent! We are all in agreement then! :thumbs:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Can we just wait a bit before adding to the text. It's not in our rules as I read them.

Anne
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

annise wrote:Can we just wait a bit before adding to the text. It's not in our rules as I read them.

Anne
Hi Anne,

We're not planning to add to the text. You could let me know what's concerning you and I will try to clear it up.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

annise wrote:Can we just wait a bit before adding to the text. It's not in our rules as I read them.

Anne
It isn't adding - it's more a question if how much to leave out!

Clearly, we don't need the stage directions for each character as written:

PRINCE: Bring in the supplicants!

Clearly we DO need the stage direction for actions:

LORD MAYOR: (Kneeling) Yes, my prince.

So the question becomes, does the narrator read the action only (which would be most consistent) or do we need the person read also (not as strictly consistent but helpful).

I think Rob, DSayers and I are agreeing that it makes more sense in an audio only version to give the name of a person when reading directions before the character actually speaks, for clarity. Whether we read it or not, the character name is already written in the text - we aren't adding anything that isn't already there.

I think this summarizes the issue, as I understand it. We had this discussion on another project and came to the same conclusion then, and this is also what I've just done with the narration file for "Patience". Anne, if you want to hear what it sounds like you can have a listen to that one to hear how it sounds.
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Elizabby wrote:

Anne
It isn't adding - it's more a question if how much to leave out!

Clearly, we don't need the stage directions for each character as written:

PRINCE: Bring in the supplicants!

Clearly we DO need the stage direction for actions:

LORD MAYOR: (Kneeling) Yes, my prince.

So the question becomes, does the narrator read the action only (which would be most consistent) or do we need the person read also (not as strictly consistent but helpful).

I think Rob, DSayers and I are agreeing that it makes more sense in an audio only version to give the name of a person when reading directions before the character actually speaks, for clarity. Whether we read it or not, the character name is already written in the text - we aren't adding anything that isn't already there.

I think this summarizes the issue, as I understand it. We had this discussion on another project and came to the same conclusion then, and this is also what I've just done with the narration file for "Patience". Anne, if you want to hear what it sounds like you can have a listen to that one to hear how it sounds.
Just shooting in here... I have Narrated many plays, as well as BC'ed several, and I would say this is the "norm". Skipping the names in front of the character if there is no direction, and adding it if there are. Also, sometimes, if the stage direction says "laughing" or something like that, and the one reading the line has managed to make it clear in the line itself, we've edited that out (and it's all been okayed by the MC).
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Thanks Kristin, I've had a quick chat with Anne via PM, and I think we are all sorted now! :thumbs:
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Here are the Stage Directions, ready for PL:

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/magnacarta_narrator_128k.mp3

I checked the dB level at 89.4, so it's over the acceptable level set by LV.

-denny