COMPLETE [ITALIANO] Le Rime di Dante - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary »

premsyl223 wrote:Hi! To do the cleaning, I followed these instructions, given to me in response to my 1-minute test:

"On Audacity, you select a part of the test where you are not talking, go to Effects|Noise Removal and then click on 'Get Noise Profile'. Then you select the whole track, go to Effects|Noise Removal and this time click OK."

Is there a way to lessen the amount of noise cleaning that does to the track? For now, I have reuploaded the link below with the volume turned up a bit--hopefully it's at a better level!

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/rime_3_alighieri_128kb.mp3
Those instructions are correct. But before you click ok, have a look at the box that says "Noise Reduction (dB)." Which number is there?

I'm going to go ahead and mark this one PL OK, by the way. The volume is around 85. We aim for 89, with a range of 86-92 being ok, so I'm going to say this one's close enough. :)
Mary

I'll be away from LV until mid January.
Dramatic reading: Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment
In italiano: Rime
premsyl223

Post by premsyl223 »

Okay sounds good. Thanks!

The number for NoiseReduction (db) is 12. Is there another number I should have there ideally?

Also, as I will hopefully have all the technical issues figured out soon, may I sign up to read sections 7, 8 and 9, as well?
HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary »

premsyl223 wrote:Okay sounds good. Thanks!

The number for NoiseReduction (db) is 12. Is there another number I should have there ideally?
There's not one ideal number (it depends on your recording setup), but try experimenting with something lower and see how it sounds. I used to noise clean at around 10 dB, and had the same problem you're having. Now I noise clean at 5 dB.
premsyl223 wrote: Also, as I will hopefully have all the technical issues figured out soon, may I sign up to read sections 7, 8 and 9, as well?
Absolutely! Thanks for claiming. :)
Mary

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Patrick! I hope you don't mind me butting in :D And congrats on your first Librivox contributions already :clap: :clap:

If you are using Audacity, adjust your microphone's input volume level before recording, either from the microphone slider in Audacity, or from your system's control panel for sounds and microphones, so that when you record, the waveform peaks above the 0.5 mark (but not all the way up/down) so that you won't need to amplify or de-amplify by much for better sound quality:
This is a nice visual hint that the recorded volume is about 88-90dB.
Then you can use ReplayGain to show you by how much to amplify or deamplify (if negative value). You enter this number in the Amplification (dB): box (from menu Effects -> Amplify...). No need to use the slider underneath.

Noise removal is indeed a two-step process. First, you select (highlight with your mouse) a section with only background noise (no speech), to "Get Noise Profile", and then, secondly, you select the whole track, to apply the Noise Removal with the OK. 12 dB Noise Reduction is alright. I use 10dBs for my recordings, but like Mary says, it depends on the kind of background noise, and experimenting helps.
Here's more info: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noisecleaning_With_Pics
HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary »

Thanks, Rapunzelina!
Mary

premsyl223

Post by premsyl223 »

Thank you so much for the assistance! Very glad to have your guidance. I'll try to use this procedure on all future recordings.

Here is Section 8 of Le Rime ("Con l'altre donne..."):

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/rime_8_alighieri_128kb.mp3

Time: 1:05
premsyl223

Post by premsyl223 »

And here is Section 7, with the audio adjusted according to the guidelines given above. Thanks again for the explanations--I think this one is in the right range.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/rime_7_alighieri_128kb.mp3

Time: 59 seconds
HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary »

Thanks, Patrick! I've got a few PL notes for you on these:

Section 7:

0:17 the word is “ragiona”, but I heard it read as “ragiosa”
0:27 “s’accordano” accent should be on second syllable (as I gather that, like me, you're a non-native speaker of Italian, I hope you don't mind pronunciation notes)
0:48 “nemica” accent should be on second syllable

Section 8:

The volume is really low (76). Other than that, this one’s good. :)
Mary

premsyl223

Post by premsyl223 »

Thanks for the section 7 notes! You have guessed quite correctly that I am not a native speaker, so I am very happy to take any guidance in pronunciation! I'll rerecord that and upload it again.

Here is Section 8, reuploaded at a louder volume. Hopefully I'm within the range. Is there a function in Audacity that will let me see a number for the volume? When you say it is currently 76, is that a number you're getting from another program. Right now my only guidepost re: volume is to shoot for the .5 mark.

Also, as far as ReplayGain goes: if I run it and it tells me say +6.5, do I then go to Amplify and in the box enter 6.5? Or do I enter -6.5 in that box? Or should I instead hit Normalize within ReplayGain? I confess I am a bit confused on this.

Thanks for your help!

Time: 1:08
HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary »

premsyl223 wrote:Thanks for the section 7 notes! You have guessed quite correctly that I am not a native speaker, so I am very happy to take any guidance in pronunciation! I'll rerecord that and upload it again.

Here is Section 8, reuploaded at a louder volume. Hopefully I'm within the range. Is there a function in Audacity that will let me see a number for the volume? When you say it is currently 76, is that a number you're getting from another program. Right now my only guidepost re: volume is to shoot for the .5 mark.

Also, as far as ReplayGain goes: if I run it and it tells me say +6.5, do I then go to Amplify and in the box enter 6.5? Or do I enter -6.5 in that box? Or should I instead hit Normalize within ReplayGain? I confess I am a bit confused on this.

Thanks for your help!

Time: 1:08
Patrick, I use Checker:

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

I'll admit I'm no help with ReplayGain, as I don't use it. :oops:

Will check this when I get home! :)
Mary

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

premsyl223 wrote:Also, as far as ReplayGain goes: if I run it and it tells me say +6.5, do I then go to Amplify and in the box enter 6.5?
Yes! You enter the same value in the "Amplification (dB)" box ;)
HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary »

Section 8 is now PL OK. :thumbs:
Mary

paola toldo

Post by paola toldo »

Ciao! :)

Potrei leggere la Sezione 40 - "Io son pargoletta bella e nova"?

Grazie
Paola
Paola
HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary »

paola toldo wrote:Ciao! :)

Potrei leggere la Sezione 40 - "Io son pargoletta bella e nova"?

Grazie
Paola
Certo! Grazie, Paola. :)
Mary

premsyl223

Post by premsyl223 »

Hello,

Here is Section 7.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/rime_007_alighieri_128kb.mp3