COMPLETE-Around the World in 80 Days-maryann

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jessieyun0404

Post by jessieyun0404 »

Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne (1828 - 1905).
In London, 1872, a rich English gentlemen named Mr. Phileas Fogg argues with the members in the Reform Club, and takes on a journey around the world in 80 days with his new servant, Passapartout, with accepting a wager. (Summary by - Jessie Yun)
This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/around-the-world-in-eighty-days-version-5-dramatic-reading-by-jules-verne/

1. New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC the name you would like to use for catalog credit.
  2. How to claim a role:
    • -For ease of claiming roles, all roles will have gender neutral casting except Phlieas Fogg, Passapartout and Detective Fix (male), and Aouda (female).
      -Look in the Magic Window for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you'd like to record.
      -Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    - a link to the script for each chapter is in the Magic Window. Just scroll to the bottom of the Magic Window and find your chapter.
    - please read only from these links!
    - if you see a mistake (one of your lines is not marked, or is marked for another character), please post in this thread and we will correct it.
  5. Prooflistening level: Special proof listening - dramatic works. Prospective PL'ers, please see the Listeners Wanted FAQ.
    PL finished chapters against this text: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/103

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per chapter.
  7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading a narrator, please include for each file:At the beginning: Chapter [#] of Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Chapter [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Save files as 128 kbps MP3
    aroundtheworldineightydays_[role]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the chapter number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegell
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  9. Any questions?
    Please post below and one of us will get back to you
BC : Jessie (jessieyun0404)
MC : MaryAnn (maryannspiegel)
PL parts : Rachel (SweetPea)
DPL : Adele de Pignerolles (AdeledePignerolles)
Editor : Rachel (SweetPea)
Co-editor : Adele de Pignerolles (AdeledePignerolles)
Last edited by jessieyun0404 on April 18th, 2015, 8:01 pm, edited 17 times in total.
~Jessie

Epic Music composer studying Film and Media Arts, BA :D
I love lights, camera, colors, and story!
Here are some tunes I made.

Staying in the U.S. starting Fall 2021.
jessieyun0404

Post by jessieyun0404 »

Here is the Character's list. (Some roles have been already pre-casted.)

Narrator - Adele de Pignerolls (AdeledePignerolls)

Gender Accurate!

Phileas Fogg (CLAIMED)
Passepartout (CLAIMED)
Detective Fix (CLAIMED)
Aouda (CLAIMED)

ALL CLAIMED!

Gender Netural

These chrarcters only appears in few chapters.

Andrew Stuart (CLAIMED)
John Sullivan (CLAIMED)
Samuel Fallentin
Thomas Flanagan
Gauthier Ralph
- These are Male Voices Recomended!
Lord Albemarle
British Consul at Suez
Whist Partners on the Mongolia
Chief of Bombay Police
The Guard on the train to Calcutta
The Indian Owner of an elephant
Parsee Guide
Procession Of priests & fanatics
Judge Obadiah
Cousin Jeizeh
The pilot on the Rangoon
John Bunsby
William Batulcar
Colonel Stamp Proctor
Elder William Hitch Mormon missionary
Forster
The Guard
The Sioux
Fort Kearney Captain
Driver & Stoker of the train
Mudge
Andrew Speedy
Clergyman (Reverend Samuel Wilson)
and more would be on the list!

Check out the MW(Magic Window) and see more characters!
Last edited by jessieyun0404 on February 11th, 2015, 5:35 am, edited 12 times in total.
~Jessie

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Jessie,

I notice that you are requesting 70 sections.

That looks like one section for each character. (so if the character is in 37 chapters, there are 37 links to the submitted files in one line in the MW if that character appears in every chapter). Frankly, that can be difficult to handle. Lot of links in one field in the MW, more complicated for the PLer to mark what sections are OK and what ones need further work, more difficult for the reader to see the status of individual files from the "reader section details" of his/her catalog page.

Todd developed a new way to handle DWs a while back, with one section per character per chapter. See this project for an example: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=50800
This allows you to easily indicate which files are ready for PL or are PL OK, and then to move PL OK sections down under the chapters to which they relate. Another advantage: You can see when you have all the sections done for a given chapter (so you easily know when it is ready to edit) and it is easy to see what remains to be done, since those sections stay at the top of the MW.

This approach was not even an option in our old system, but since we moved to the new workflow system 18 months ago we can move sections around in the MW with a drag and drop feature. :clap: My sense is that those who have used this new MW approach for DWs have liked it.

To use this approach, we would need a new section count from you - number of chapters (37) plus the number of individual files which the various readers will submit (37 narrator + x for Phineas + y for Passapartout, etc.)

MaryAnn
jessieyun0404

Post by jessieyun0404 »

Thanks for your response, MarryAnn! :D

I'll calculate and tell you the sections!
~Jessie

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

"The Major Roles; Phlieas Fogg, Passapartout, Detective Fix, and Aouda is General Specific!"

May want to fix that. ;) You can put it in smaller type, too. It's blinding as it is. :lol:

Did you get all the scripts color coded already? :shock:
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
BrassRhino

Post by BrassRhino »

I would like to play the part of Mr. Phileas Fogg. I am new so I don't have any previous work for you to listen to. I recorded a couple lines with an English accent and an American accent. I uploaded them to Google Drive download American accent here, and English here.
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Jessie, I can't edit and DPL. I can PL the parts and edit, or I can PL the parts and the chapters. What do you want me to do? :)
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

I can help you with the scripts :)
How about I start with the last chapter and work backwards?
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
AdeledePignerolles

Post by AdeledePignerolles »

May I narrate, please? (I can also help edit or narrate, whichever Rachel doesn't, if you want).

Thank you!
Adele

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

BrassRhino wrote:I would like to play the part of Mr. Phileas Fogg. I am new so I don't have any previous work for you to listen to. I recorded a couple lines with an English accent and an American accent. I uploaded them to Google Drive download American accent here, and English here.
BrassRhino,

We strongly recommend that you complete the 1 minute test before you begin making recordings for a project. That's not an audition (we don't audition here at LV). The 1 minute test is to check that your recorded files meet our technical requirements. (instructions for the 1 minute test are in your welcome e-mail and here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test)

MaryAnn
jessieyun0404

Post by jessieyun0404 »

TriciaG wrote:"The Major Roles; Phlieas Fogg, Passapartout, Detective Fix, and Aouda is General Specific!"

May want to fix that. ;) You can put it in smaller type, too. It's blinding as it is. :lol:

Did you get all the scripts color coded already? :shock:
Oh! :oops: Gotta fix that! :lol:
And I wrote yesterday till chapter 4, but I see that Rachel will help me out.
SweetPea wrote:Jessie, I can't edit and DPL. I can PL the parts and edit, or I can PL the parts and the chapters. What do you want me to do? :)
Okay - you can just edit and PL the parts! I'll look for DPL. Thank you! :D
SweetPea wrote:I can help you with the scripts :)
How about I start with the last chapter and work backwards?
Sure! I had been hardly writing the script until chapter 4, and I'll be still writing it. Thanks for helping! :D
~Jessie

jessieyun0404

Post by jessieyun0404 »

AdeledePignerolles wrote:May I narrate, please? (I can also help edit or narrate, whichever Rachel doesn't, if you want).

Thank you!
You can do Narrator - but if you want to edit, its up to Rachel! :)
~Jessie

jessieyun0404

Post by jessieyun0404 »

Rachel, do you want to start all over, or access in my folder and do the rest? I have made 5 chapters, and I have access the link for all to see it.

Please decide. No matter! :wink:
~Jessie

SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

You've done a great job on the first five chapters! :thumbs:
Here, I've copied the chapters you did into a folder that I made and have control over, then I can do the rest if you want?
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B96UkH57T3AGfmk3Z2pKLV9wUDJJVlpJajNrNURpTG5ZRG9KVjVPNG11amZYRzRhWDdSZms&usp=sharing
I've also done the last 2 chapters :)
Rachel

jessieyun0404

Post by jessieyun0404 »

SweetPea wrote:You've done a great job on the first five chapters! :thumbs:
Here, I've copied the chapters you did into a folder that I made and have control over, then I can do the rest if you want?
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B96UkH57T3AGfmk3Z2pKLV9wUDJJVlpJajNrNURpTG5ZRG9KVjVPNG11amZYRzRhWDdSZms&usp=sharing
I've also done the last 2 chapters :)
Wow - that was fast!

Yes! Great, thank you! :D
~Jessie