(Complete) History of the Catholic Church...Vol 2 -m8b1

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

History of the Catholic Church from the Renaissance to the French Revolution: Volume 2 by Rev. James MacCaffrey (1875 - 1935).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/history-of-the-catholic-church-from-the-renaissance-to-the-french-revolution-volume-2-by-rev-james-maccaffrey/
In this second volume of a two volume set, the focus in on the history of the Catholic Church in England, Scotland, and Ireland, during the period from before the reformation up to the 19th century. Starting with the conditions in these countries before the reformation, it then takes a detailed look at the religious changes and persecutions during the reigns on Henry VIII, Edward VI, and onward. (Summary by Maria Therese)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2455
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of History of the Catholic Church from the Renaissance to the French Revolution: Volume 2. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "History of the Catholic Church from the Renaissance to the French Revolution: Volume 2, by Rev. James MacCaffrey. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of History of the Catholic Church from the Renaissance to the French Revolution: Volume 2 by Rev. James MacCaffrey. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of History of the Catholic Church from the Renaissance to the French Revolution: Volume 2, by Rev. James MacCaffrey. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename historyofchurch2_##_maccaffrey.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. historyofchurch2_01_maccaffrey.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Rev. James MacCaffrey
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: History of the Catholic Church from the Renaissance to the French Revolution: Volume 2

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: yy - yyyyy
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Hi Hugh,

Took a day longer than I intended, but Chapter 1 is finally up! :D
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
HughGil

Post by HughGil »

Hi Maria,

No worries. PL is okay. :)
"the story seems to take forever to go anywhere - and I know where it is going." - m8b1 2012
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Thanks, Hugh ~ the next one is up!

Chapter 2 ran about 3 hours long, before editing. I am hoping to get it into three sections running around 45 minutes or so each - we will see what we can edit the last two parts of the chapter down to! :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
HughGil

Post by HughGil »

Hi Maria,

Part 1 is okay. Wow, 3 hours before editing :shock: That means if I read it, it would be 5 to 6 hours before editing. :lol:
"the story seems to take forever to go anywhere - and I know where it is going." - m8b1 2012
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Thank, Hugh! If I knew it was going to take me 5 or 6 hours to record a chapter, I probably wouldn't start it! :lol:

The next two sections are up. I'm sorry to dump both on you at once, but I wanted to see how long the whole thing was, before splitting it. I meant to have them closer in length to each other, but I had them in two different files and when I was finished editing and saw the run times I said that is good enough!

Please take your time!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
HughGil

Post by HughGil »

Hi Maria,

3 is okay. :) I'll finish up section 4 tomorrow evening.
HughGil

Post by HughGil »

Hi Maria,

Section 4 has a few missed edits.

@~18:27
Early in 1548 a series of questions had been addressed by Cranmer to the bishops
regarding the value of the Mass as a religious service apart from the Communion.

@~18:47
...and were supported generally by Holbeach, Barlow, Cox, and Taylor. One, Bishop Goodrich of Ely, expressed his willingness...

@~24:33
By the strenuous exertions of the Protector and the council, backed as they were by foreign mercenaries raised in Italy and Germany to fight against Scotland,

Hugh
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

My goodness ~ three mistakes in one file. Tsk, tsk.... :lol:

Thanks, Hugh ~ I have fixed them and uploaded the next chapter - which is a bit shorter then the last one!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
HughGil

Post by HughGil »

Hi Maria,

4 and 5 are okay. :) I don't consider missed edits as mistakes, just opportunities to keep me on my toes. :D
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Thanks, Hugh! Well, I'll try not to keep you on your toes on purpose, but I'm sure something will slip through here and there! :D

Next one is ready!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
HughGil

Post by HughGil »

Evening Maria, :)

Section 6.

@ 00:19 - A few hours after Mary's death Elizabeth was proclaimed queen..
Read as: A few months...

@~58:16 missed edit.
If priests, they were by that very fact liable to be hunted down
and condemned as traitors; if they were laymen of substance, they were beggared by heavy fines
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Hi Hugh,

I haven't disappeared completely! :wink: Just been busy shoveling snow all last week (among other things)... We decided to have all our winter in one week this year - so about 20" of snow and nice cold sub-zero temperatures to cheer things up! We had to dig a path around the yard for the dog, and once we had to dig her out because it was so deep she got stuck. But of course silly her, she keeps going back in the deep stuff. I'm ready for spring!

I have fixed the last chapter at least, and hopefully I'll have the next one edited by tomorrow!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
HughGil

Post by HughGil »

Hey Maria,

Ouch, 20" of snow. :shock: Can't even imagine that. I guess you just have to hunker down make the best of it. Sounds like Molly, I hope that's her name, had a blast. Pretty funny all she wanted to do is play. Take your time, I've been doing a little recording, and have a few more sections to get through. I'm feeling more comfortable about recording, even though I still don't like the sound of my own voice.

Hugh
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Hi Hugh,

Finally got around to editing (well, forced myself to.. :wink: ) and Chapter 5 is ready!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks