[COMP]Cyropaedia: The Education of Cyrus by Xenophon - phi

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
Emory
Posts: 18
Joined: July 1st, 2014, 11:23 am

Post by Emory » February 22nd, 2015, 12:35 pm

Yes, I'm using Audacity on a PC with a USB mic.

Emory
Posts: 18
Joined: July 1st, 2014, 11:23 am

Post by Emory » February 22nd, 2015, 2:21 pm

Hi Phil,
I think I have resolved the issue I had. Seems my whole computer was freezing up for a 1/2 second every 30 seconds and that was effecting the recording. All caused by a Dell automatic update that happened a couple weeks ago. I've spent more than 2 hours trying to fix this stupid thing and it has been quite frustrating! Had to reset my computer to a previous date which wiped out all my audacity settings, but I think I've got them all back. I'm going to send over one more test with the re-set settings to make sure we're still good.

Here is #4...lol

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/test4_emory.mp3

Thanks,
Emory

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 18260
Joined: October 17th, 2010, 9:23 pm
Location: With my feet in the Bayou
Contact:

Post by philchenevert » February 22nd, 2015, 3:09 pm

Emory wrote:Hi Phil,
I think I have resolved the issue I had. Seems my whole computer was freezing up for a 1/2 second every 30 seconds and that was effecting the recording. All caused by a Dell automatic update that happened a couple weeks ago. I've spent more than 2 hours trying to fix this stupid thing and it has been quite frustrating! Had to reset my computer to a previous date which wiped out all my audacity settings, but I think I've got them all back. I'm going to send over one more test with the re-set settings to make sure we're still good.

Here is #4...lol

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/test4_emory.mp3

Thanks,
Emory
Darn Emory. Did you listen to that last recording? Unlike your second test, this one has the 'tin can' effect that sounds like you are talking into a hollow pipe. This usually comes from too much noise cleaning. If you could go back to your second test settings that would be great. Please listen to it and tell me what you think; especially compare it to your first or second one. The settings just need to be tweaked a bit more. EDIT: it is also a bit loud at 93dB. Be patient, this will all work out.
Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy

Why was Pavlov's hair so soft? Cause he conditioned it of course.


Pssss! Some Tutorial Videos here. Take a peek.

Emory
Posts: 18
Joined: July 1st, 2014, 11:23 am

Post by Emory » February 22nd, 2015, 3:30 pm

Phil,
This has not been my day when it come to all things computer. I think I have it fixed now. Didn't realize it wiped out my microphone settings too. Hopefully this is better.

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/test5_emory.mp3

Cheers,
Emory

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 18260
Joined: October 17th, 2010, 9:23 pm
Location: With my feet in the Bayou
Contact:

Post by philchenevert » February 22nd, 2015, 3:45 pm

Emory wrote:Phil,
This has not been my day when it come to all things computer. I think I have it fixed now. Didn't realize it wiped out my microphone settings too. Hopefully this is better.

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/test5_emory.mp3

Cheers,
Emory
Right on the button Emory. :thumbs: Cyrus is awaiting you in his council chamber.
Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy

Why was Pavlov's hair so soft? Cause he conditioned it of course.


Pssss! Some Tutorial Videos here. Take a peek.

Emory
Posts: 18
Joined: July 1st, 2014, 11:23 am

Post by Emory » February 23rd, 2015, 7:35 pm

Here is #29. Length of 17:02.
Let me know what you think. It seems maybe it is a bit too loud at times? Settings are the same but maybe when I record actual writing I want to add emphasis. I'll turn it down next time if you think that is best.
Any other modifications I should do?
Also, the file name has a _2 at the end because I uploaded another file first before remembering to scrub background noise out.

Link:

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/cyropaedia_29_xenophon_128kbs_2.mp3

Cheers,
Emory

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 18260
Joined: October 17th, 2010, 9:23 pm
Location: With my feet in the Bayou
Contact:

Post by philchenevert » February 23rd, 2015, 8:05 pm

Emory wrote:Here is #29. Length of 17:02.
Let me know what you think. It seems maybe it is a bit too loud at times? Settings are the same but maybe when I record actual writing I want to add emphasis. I'll turn it down next time if you think that is best.
Any other modifications I should do?
Also, the file name has a _2 at the end because I uploaded another file first before remembering to scrub background noise out.

Link:

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/cyropaedia_29_xenophon_128kbs_2.mp3

Cheers,
Emory
Yes it is a bit loud, almost 94 dB. Do you know about the Compressor effect? It is great for bringing down the really high parts. I made a video about it that is in my sig link somewhere. You can also eyeball your track to easily get a sense for the volume (yes .. another video somewhere) This is what I do, just watch my track to keep it about half way and when finished editing either run compressor or a bit of amplification.

The file naming convention we use is rather unforgiving; each file uses the section number as a place marker to go into the right order when validation and cataloging is reached. So when uploading a section, keep the naming as shown in the first post. When you reduce the volume on this file and export it again, name it cyropaedia_29_xenophon_128kbs.mp3 without the added '2'. It will then replace any other file with that name.

What happens is that the most recent file with this exact name will be the one used, any previous file is automatically given a new name and kept, but not used. So if the prooflistener finds something that needs to be fixed, you fix it, export with the exact same file name and upload again. If you have any questions just let me know.
Oh yes, when uploading a file with corrections as specified by the proof listener, just post in the thread that you have fixed section XX and uploaded it, no need to post the link. This lets me know to mark it "Ready for Spot Check".
Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy

Why was Pavlov's hair so soft? Cause he conditioned it of course.


Pssss! Some Tutorial Videos here. Take a peek.

Emory
Posts: 18
Joined: July 1st, 2014, 11:23 am

Post by Emory » February 23rd, 2015, 8:46 pm

Thanks Phil!
Really appreciate all the help. I decreased the peaks and uploaded it in the correct name.
#29 is up.
Quick question: How do you know it is 94dB? Where I can see the volume put into dB format?

Cheers,
Emory

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 18260
Joined: October 17th, 2010, 9:23 pm
Location: With my feet in the Bayou
Contact:

Post by philchenevert » February 23rd, 2015, 8:56 pm

Emory wrote:Thanks Phil!
Really appreciate all the help. I decreased the peaks and uploaded it in the correct name.
#29 is up.
Quick question: How do you know it is 94dB? Where I can see the volume put into dB format?

Cheers,
Emory
I need the actual link of the latest upload since this is the one that I will put into the Magic Window. Thanks for being so patient.

The program a lot of us use is Checker see our wiki page http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker for download. It was designed just for LibriVox by a volunteer. You just put the file in it and the volume in dB is shown. This is my video on using your eyes to estimate volume http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9WF82rf81o It is very simplistic and basic but shows how to estimate.
Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy

Why was Pavlov's hair so soft? Cause he conditioned it of course.


Pssss! Some Tutorial Videos here. Take a peek.

Emory
Posts: 18
Joined: July 1st, 2014, 11:23 am

Post by Emory » February 23rd, 2015, 9:04 pm


philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 18260
Joined: October 17th, 2010, 9:23 pm
Location: With my feet in the Bayou
Contact:

Post by philchenevert » February 23rd, 2015, 9:10 pm

Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy

Why was Pavlov's hair so soft? Cause he conditioned it of course.


Pssss! Some Tutorial Videos here. Take a peek.

Emory
Posts: 18
Joined: July 1st, 2014, 11:23 am

Post by Emory » February 23rd, 2015, 10:16 pm

Here is #30. Length is 8:44

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/cyropaedia_30_xenophon_128kbs.mp3

And just a reminder that #34 is not marked on the text.

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 18260
Joined: October 17th, 2010, 9:23 pm
Location: With my feet in the Bayou
Contact:

Post by philchenevert » February 23rd, 2015, 10:33 pm

Emory wrote:Here is #30. Length is 8:44

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/cyropaedia_30_xenophon_128kbs.mp3

And just a reminder that #34 is not marked on the text.
thank you for the section 30. And thank you very much for pointing out my goof with naming chapter 34. I think it is OK now but please never hesitate to say if anyting loooks funny. It is probably my mistake ..... :roll:
Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy

Why was Pavlov's hair so soft? Cause he conditioned it of course.


Pssss! Some Tutorial Videos here. Take a peek.

silverquill
Posts: 12950
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » February 23rd, 2015, 10:39 pm

I've listened to it, and it is a fine recording. Thanks so much!

The volume is, however, still too high. Checker set it at 93.2, still 4.2dB above our target of 89. Usually the files should be within about 2db of that standard. So, a simply Amplify effect set to about -4.0 should do the trick.

Other than that, this recording is PL OK.

Emory
Posts: 18
Joined: July 1st, 2014, 11:23 am

Post by Emory » February 24th, 2015, 7:32 am

I downloaded Java and got the Checker program so I could know the exact volume now.
Decreased volume on both 29 and 30. Checker says they are Okay now. Uploaded them and hopefully we are good to go!
Cheers,
Emory

Post Reply