[COMPLETE] Poems of American History, I - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

edhumpal wrote:Ann, I've uploaded sections 33, 34, and 35, my readings, so the need a Proof Listen eventually. Also, a couple months ago I uploaded section 49, my reading of a character in one of our Dramatic Readings, and it has needed a proof listen since. We were told the DR stuff all gets proofed twice, once upon recording for fidelity to text, and again when the editing of the work is done. Since Adele will be editing that, I don't guess she's the prooflistener, but maybe different projects fall out differently. Anyway, I will be grateful if you would listen to that too.

While I've got you, I've got a cataloging and search question. There are many poets in this text, under the name "various" and the notes I put into the magic window - which I'm not sure have anything to do with the catalog anyway - are all poem titles, no author names. With contributors like Whittier, Longfellow, and so many more, I would love someone searching Longfellow on the Home Page here to get the relevant chapters too, but we have not created an infrastructure for that, like the one used for the poetry collections, etc. It's worth asking early because the poet list just gets better and better through the collection, and this first one is the shortest of the upcoming volumes. I don't know if I'm discussing this accurately, but my question should be clear, I hope. If it takes me doing fields on a spread sheet for upload, I am very happy to do that.
I will gladly PL your sections a little later today, including the DR. I think that one needs to be PL'ed word perfect, I will go check to make sure. Not a problem either way.

As far as making to poems searchable by author, yes that can be done. There is a little magnifying glass for each section in the MW, if you click that some new fields open up above the sections. That is where you can put the individual author information. I will look at this a little later, I am running off for book club, but I will let you know what you will need to include for each section.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
SeekWisdom

Post by SeekWisdom »

Hi, I'd like to try at being Martha, but I have no idea how to do a dramatic recording. Do I just read the different lines with a pause between each section for the other speakers?

Thanks for your help!
"Get wisdom, get understanding, forget it not..."
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Sections 33, 34 and 35 are PL OK!

Section 49 needs one edit.

@ 2:33 The sentence, "Doth he you pray to say that he is God?" The you is left out.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
edhumpal

Post by edhumpal »

SeekWisdom, that's exactly it. Look at the google doc in the Magic Window to see all the voice parts color coded, and don't forget to introduce yourself at the beginning. Adele created this guidance several pages back, "Say: [character] read by [your name]" and "for dramatic readings, name your files this way: poemscolonialera_partname_section#_128kb" Ask again, if somethings not clear. Shall I put you down?

Thanks Ann, I'll try again. :lol:
SeekWisdom

Post by SeekWisdom »

Yes, please; thanks! I'm excited about it!

Thanks also for the how-to :)

God bless with a "wonderful weekend of recording" 8-)
SeekWisdom

Post by SeekWisdom »

Here's the elusive Martha 8-) Let me know if she needs tweaking

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/poemscolonialera_martha_section51_128kb.mp3
edhumpal

Post by edhumpal »

Thank you, SeekWisdom. Great job. Definitely PL OK, but I have one note, for the future. I haven't been active in the Dramatic Readings, but my sense is that there should be a little more gap between speeches - just take a full breath. This is for the editor's sake, who can thereby make a faster rough cut. Also, if a little more pause, for timing, is wanted when the scene is stitched together, it's easier to have it right at hand, instead of pasting it in from somewhere else.

Also, your volume is a little high. The Checker program (see our wiki for information) says "passed with warnings." Just turn down the mike a little, because your voice is clear and strong, and you shouldn't inhibit that. You can also amplify or deamplify in Audacity to dial in the volume of the track.

Adele, looks like you're very close to being able to edit this scene. I have one correction to make on my piece. A nice set of strong readings to work with - should be a lot of fun!
AdeledePignerolles

Post by AdeledePignerolles »

Yay! I'm working on editing (I fixed the mistake in Hathorne) but I've got to record some narrator lines that I missed the first time. It's so fun hearing everyone! (Now I want to hear them read more!) Thanks!
Adele

Post by GregGiordano »

I see that the final part remains unclaimed. If this will help wrap this project I will be glad to claim Section 39.

Thanks!

Greg
Last edited by GregGiordano on May 25th, 2015, 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
edhumpal

Post by edhumpal »

Wonderful Greg, that was the last unassigned section. Thank you.

Ann, would you like to move this to Reader's Found? Greg is always back in a heartbeat, and we can count on Eileen not to default. :) It could park there while I work on the individual poem and author links.

Adele, I can't wait to hear it!

To everyone who contributed, thank you so much! This is a really strong collection, and I look forward, after this is cataloged, to launching Volume 2: The Revolution. So dust off your tricorner hats, put a signal lantern in the window, we're about to brew tea in Boston Harbor!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Actually, we just leave the full Short Works projects here, all you need to do is to click the edit button on your first post and change [Group] to [FULL].
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
edhumpal

Post by edhumpal »

Thanks!
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Here is Section 39:

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/poemscolonialera_39_various_128kb.mp3

Run time is 8:15

Take care,

Greg
edhumpal

Post by edhumpal »

Nice job, Greg. PL OK as usual.
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

edhumpal wrote:Nice job, Greg. PL OK as usual.
I am glad to help, Ed. I've thoroughly enjoyed being a part of this project and look forward to the next volume.

Take care,

Greg