COMPLETE - A Wine of Wizardry by George Sterling-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Phuein

Post by Phuein »

A Wine of Wizardry by George Sterling (1869 - 1926).
A dark and moody collection of poems, influenced by the author's experience of nature, rather than an idealized notion of it. "The uncrowned King of Bohemia," as his friends called him, published this work against much public criticism. - Wiki / Articles (Assaf Koss)
This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/a-wine-of-wizardry-by-george-sterling/
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here. To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/wineofwizardryot00sterrich
      (The previous version, as mirrored from Google, is no longer available, for no apparent reason. This is another mirror, and hopefully, should be the same thing.)
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
      • Project Code: f5dPFhlI
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (George Sterling) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Sterling
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): -
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 36
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      • Original publication date (if known): 1908

============================================

Genres for the project: Poetry/Single author; Fantastic Fiction/Myths, Legends & Fairy Tales; Nature & Animal Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: collection, poems

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      • At the beginning of the recording, read the abbreviated "LibriVox disclaimer":
        "[Poem title], by George Sterling. Read for LibriVox.org by [your name - optional]", adding date, location, your personal URL, etc., if you wish.
      • Then read the poem.
      • At the end, say: "End of poem. This recording is in the public domain." and leave five seconds of silence.
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of A Wine of Wizardry, by George Sterling."
      • Or...
      • If reading a character in the last section, at the beginning of the recording say only once, "[Character Name] read by [Your Name]."
      • No need to say anything at the end of the recording.
      • DO NOT read your character's actions in brackets, e.g. "(Rising)".
      • Let a few seconds pause between each reading.
      • Name your file with the character name: wineofwizardry_CHARACTERNAME.mp3, for example: wineofwizadry_narrator.mp3.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      wineofwizardry_##_george_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. wineofwizardry_01_george_128kb.mp3)
      OR
      For the last section, if you do a character, then name your file with the character name: wineofwizardry_CHARACTERNAME.mp3, for example: wineofwizadry_narrator.mp3.
    9. ID3 V2 tags are not necessary.
    10. Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by Phuein on May 27th, 2015, 7:42 am, edited 12 times in total.
I use an Audio Technica AT2035 Condenser Microphone, with a Focusrite iTrack Solo USB Audio Interface, and Audacity for editing.
Phuein

Post by Phuein »

This is only my second time starting a new project, so I'd appreciate you check up on the above. :-)

This collection is a request from a fellow member, which I appreciate greatly. Very unique poetry. :thumbs:
I use an Audio Technica AT2035 Condenser Microphone, with a Focusrite iTrack Solo USB Audio Interface, and Audacity for editing.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Phuein,

Your post looks good. I cleaned up the formatting a little bit.

I've got quite bit going right now, so I'm going to wait and see if another admin wants to MC this. If you don't snag an MC by tomorrow afternoon, I'll be by to set it up for you.

MaryAnn
Phuein

Post by Phuein »

Hey MaryAnn. Thanks!

If you're busy, well I'm in no rush. You can wait a bit more, see if anybody else is more available to MC. :-)
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Assaf,
The MW is up and ready for you to fill in. Look forward to working with you on this.
MaryAnn
anushar04

Post by anushar04 »

This looks like a very interesting collection!

I'd love to DPL this, unless you already have someone else in mind! :)
Anusha - My LV page, and Some of My Music!
Phuein

Post by Phuein »

Welcome to this merry boat, MaryAnn. :=D Let us gather the crew for sailing!

Anushar, you are now DPL! Welcome aboard.

We can move to the poetry forum now, right?

And so I grab sections 1 & 20, A Wine of Wizardry and The Soul Prismatic. 8-)
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Anushar - I've added you to the MW, let me know if you have any trouble getting in . . .

And yes, we can take the leap to readers wanted . . . hang on to your socks, here we go!

MaryAnn
dcoetzee

Post by dcoetzee »

Hi, I'd like to please claim sections 2 through 6 (many short poems among these, based on a glance at the source). I haven't read for LibriVox in a while but I do audio work all the time and I believe I'm up to it. I should already be listed under name "dcoetzee", I think - that is the one I want. Thank you. :)
dcoetzee

Post by dcoetzee »

I can't upload yet since an MC isn't yet selected, but I put a sample reading of the first poem in my selection here if anyone wants to check out how my audio and stuff is:

http://evrydayvr.srv.sn/share/librivox/The%20Islands%20of%20the%20Blest.mp3

Thanks again. :)
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

dcoetzee,
You can upload to my folder, and I've fixed the first post.
MaryAnn
Phuein

Post by Phuein »

dcoetzee wrote:Hi, I'd like to please claim sections 2 through 6 (many short poems among these, based on a glance at the source). I haven't read for LibriVox in a while but I do audio work all the time and I believe I'm up to it. I should already be listed under name "dcoetzee", I think - that is the one I want. Thank you. :)
You have been assigned, welcome aboard! :) I liked your recording, although I'm no DPL.
laurenburwell

Post by laurenburwell »

May I claim the following?

7 the forest mother
10 to an elder poet
15 the night of gods
36 the triumph of bohemia
dcoetzee

Post by dcoetzee »

Done with my sections, here they are! Let me know if I need to redo or edit anything. (I think I have some noise on my mic that noise cancellation didn't correct cleanly, especially evident in 03, which I may need to investigate.) Thanks!

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/wineofwizardry_02_george_128kb.mp3 (1:58)
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/wineofwizardry_03_george_128kb.mp3 (4:40)
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/wineofwizardry_04_george_128kb.mp3 (1:26)
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/wineofwizardry_05_george_128kb.mp3 (1:21)
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/wineofwizardry_06_george_128kb.mp3 (1:24)
Last edited by dcoetzee on November 29th, 2014, 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phuein

Post by Phuein »

laurenburwell wrote:May I claim the following?

7 the forest mother
10 to an elder poet
15 the night of gods
36 the triumph of bohemia
Yours!
dcoetzee wrote:Done with my sections, here they are! Let me know if I need to redo or edit anything. (I think I have some noise on my mic that noise cancellation didn't correct cleanly, especially evident in 03, which I may need to investigate.) Thanks!
Thanks. Please write the length of each section, as well. :-)