COMPLETE- Moral Letters by Seneca, Vol. I-maryann

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Filipe,

Your MW is now ready. For a solo project, you are the Book Coordinator. That means you fill out the Magic Window and post your links and times in the window when you upload your files. I've started you off with an idea on how I would handle the section titles for a book like this. There is no one "right" way, so if you would like to approach it differently, that's fine. Remember that when this is cataloged, the section number will be added to the start of whatever you type in as the title . . . so the way I have entered the first letter will come out as "01 - On Saving Time."

You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!) Please be sure to read all of the BC How To document, as that will give you more information on your role as a BC.

As to your question on grouping letters or reading them individually, some readers find it annoying to listen to the disclaimer over and over again between short files, but if you have a reason to read them separately, then you may do that.

Please post in the thread when you upload files for Timoleon to PL - that way he will get an e-mail and when he checks, will see that the files are there.

If you have questions, or if you have any trouble with the instructions in the BC how to, please post and we'll work through it together. There is quite a learning curve when you do your first solo.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

fvogel wrote:Also, I'd like to change the title to "Moral Letters" if possible. (The name in the source book is in Latin.) Can I simply edit the OP?
You can change the opening post, but I also need to change it in the catalog, which I have done, so you will see "Moral Letters, Vol. 1" when you go into the MW.

MaryAnn
fvogel

Post by fvogel »

Thanks MaryAnn, for the instructions. I may have missed something but I can't access the Section Compiler screen. In the dashboard I'm listed as a reader only and not as a BC.
-Felipe
fvogel

Post by fvogel »

Also, regarding the shortened disclaimer for sections after the first, may I omit the translator? As:

"Chapter [number] of Moral Letters, Vol. I by Seneca. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."

If I may not do that (which is understandable), then may I say just his last name? (Now I'm getting down to a difference of milliseconds :lol:)
-Felipe
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Oops. Sorry about that. You should be able to get into the MW now.

You need to give the translator's name, but can shorten it to last name only after the first section.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Moving this thread to "going solo".
MaryAnn
fvogel

Post by fvogel »

-Felipe
fvogel

Post by fvogel »

-Felipe
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

Is it the case that the text for this project is only available as a series of pictures of actual pages in an old book?
If you create and your creation is destroyed, create anyway. (paraphrasing Mother Teresa) . . Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
fvogel

Post by fvogel »

Correct. It is available only in PDF format. I uploaded it to Archive (https://archive.org/details/AdLuciliumEpistulaeMoralesVolI), so you can use the automatically-generated text version on that page, but I'm sure this has errors.
-Felipe
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

Before I listen to recordings I run the .mp3 through checker. Checker reports a large amount of background noise in your submission. I think folks here at LibriVox like to keep the noise below 40 dB, many submit .mp3 with low 20's dB.

Are you familiar with Audacity and Checker? These two free utilities were recommended to me by LibriVoxers and they seem to work well for all; they do for me.

We have a wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Main_Page

Here is a link to the Audacity page: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Audacity_FAQ

Here is a link to Checker: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

Can you re-submit these first three recordings with "low" noise?

P.S. I am very much looking forward to hearing you read these works and thank you for doing this project.

Tim
If you create and your creation is destroyed, create anyway. (paraphrasing Mother Teresa) . . Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I looked at one of the files. I think one pass of noise removal with the following settings will do it:

Noise reduction: 7 dB
Sensitivity: 0 dB
Frequency smoothing: 150 Hz
Attack/decay: 0.1

MaryAnn
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:I looked at one of the files. I think one pass of noise removal with the following settings will do it:

Noise reduction: 7 dB
Sensitivity: 0 dB
Frequency smoothing: 150 Hz
Attack/decay: 0.1

MaryAnn
Thanks MaryAnn, that might work on one of them; I did not report completely because the third one (I think) had noise or only around 40 dB while the other two had noise over 85 dB. For these two, perhaps a few passes at 7 dB as you described?
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Timoleon,

There's no threshold measurement for background noise that the file must be below. When I provide comments on the 1 minute tests, I listen to the files with headphones. If I can hear the background noise, then I ask that it be reduced. It is difficult to get it all out, and in some cases it is better to leave a bit of background noise than to over-clean and introduce distortion into the voice.

Of course, always best to try and identify the source of the noise and remove it as it significantly reduces the need for noise cleaning.

MaryAnn
fvogel

Post by fvogel »

Timoleon, I'm using Audacity already but was unaware of Checker--thanks for the link. I applied noise removal (thanks MaryAnn, for those parameters) and re-uploaded. I avoided as much noise as possible before recording and then didn't at first apply any noise removal since I was unsure whether I should remove noise if it's not very audible.

When I re-upload a file, should I delete the section notes in the Management Dashboard, as well as change their status to "Ready for PL"?

I'm looking forward to reading these as well. It will be my pleasure. And thank you, Timoleon, for PLing!
-Felipe