COMPLETE: Short Non-Fiction Vol. 36 - Jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
JohnNDaily
Posts: 110
Joined: October 23rd, 2014, 4:55 am
Location: New York

Post by JohnNDaily » October 24th, 2014, 2:06 pm

Sue Anderson wrote: Hi there John, Many thanks for your reading of Goldfish! :) We like variety here; it always amazes me, as BC, to see how each volume of the Nonfiction Collection develops, what topics people pick to read about.

As to goldfish, well, the fish tank in our house holds a lone cat fish, who has been lord of his realm for the better part of a decade now (the tropical fish long gone to fish heaven). When I try to clean the algae off the sides of the glass, he swims up and butts my hand, as if to tell me to stay out of his territory--rather disconcerting. . .
That's pretty funny! He must not be aware of how tasty he'd be with hush puppies, or he'd probably not be as brave... :D

LukeSartor
Posts: 146
Joined: December 6th, 2012, 2:08 am

Post by LukeSartor » October 24th, 2014, 10:47 pm

LukeSartor wrote:Hi there!

William Osler's 'A Way of Life' is ready for PLing.
39:22

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf036_awayoflife_osler_LS_128kb.mp3
Just adding a reminder that this has been recorded and is ready for PLing. I don't have access to the MW so I can't add it and tag it as "Ready to PL" but it is. :thumbs:

Sue Anderson
Posts: 4056
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » October 25th, 2014, 3:35 am

LukeSartor wrote:
LukeSartor wrote:Hi there!

William Osler's 'A Way of Life' is ready for PLing.
39:22

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf036_awayoflife_osler_LS_128kb.mp3
Just adding a reminder that this has been recorded and is ready for PLing. I don't have access to the MW so I can't add it and tag it as "Ready to PL" but it is. :thumbs:
Thanks, Luke! :) You're in the Magic Window now.

Sue Anderson
Posts: 4056
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » October 25th, 2014, 6:03 pm

Driving the Lincoln Highway, Chicago to Rochelle, Illinois, in 1915
by Emily Post
20:18
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf036_lincolnhighway_post_sa_128kb.mp3

from By Motor to the Golden Gate by Emily Post
https://archive.org/stream/bymotortogolden00postgoog#page/n96/mode/1up

BellonaTimes
Posts: 3665
Joined: February 15th, 2009, 6:25 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Post by BellonaTimes » October 26th, 2014, 6:29 am

The Handwriting on the Screen
by Karl Schmidt (Everybody's Magazine, Vol 36, Jan-June 1917)
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015023132973;view=1up;seq=7
from an interview with Anita Loos about her writing of the title cards in silent movies.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf036_handwritingonthescreen_schmidt_bt_128kb.mp3
8:13
They call me Threadkiller.
My Catalog Page

Sue Anderson
Posts: 4056
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » October 26th, 2014, 9:56 am

BellonaTimes wrote:The Handwriting on the Screen
by Karl Schmidt (Everybody's Magazine, Vol 36, Jan-June 1917)
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015023132973;view=1up;seq=7
from an interview with Anita Loos about her writing of the title cards in silent movies.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf036_handwritingonthescreen_schmidt_bt_128kb.mp3
8:13
Welcome back, BellonaTimes! :) This looks most interesting. It strikes me that subtitles were the twitter of their time. I haven't had time to listen yet, but I'll be very curious to see how you read this bit: "My most popular subtitle introduced the name of a new character, confessed Miss Loos. "The name was something like this: 'Count Xxerkzsxxv.' Then there was a note, "To those of your who read titles aloud, you can't pronounce the Count's name. You can only think it.'"

JohnNDaily
Posts: 110
Joined: October 23rd, 2014, 4:55 am
Location: New York

Post by JohnNDaily » October 26th, 2014, 12:59 pm

Sue Anderson wrote:Welcome back, BellonaTimes! :) This looks most interesting. It strikes me that subtitles were the twitter of their time. I haven't had time to listen yet, but I'll be very curious to see how you read this bit: "My most popular subtitle introduced the name of a new character, confessed Miss Loos. "The name was something like this: 'Count Xxerkzsxxv.' Then there was a note, "To those of your who read titles aloud, you can't pronounce the Count's name. You can only think it.'"
:shock:
BWAHAHAHA!!! That's...bloody...BRILLIANT! :D

Sue Anderson
Posts: 4056
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » October 26th, 2014, 3:00 pm

LukeSartor wrote:Hi there!

William Osler's 'A Way of Life' is ready for PLing.
Hi Luke, Just a note to say I finally found time to listen to your recording-- your read very well, and with conviction! :) Osler's advice to live each day anew seems as relevant now as it was when he gave his speech in 1913.

Hugh will be along shortly with the formal DPLing.

BellonaTimes
Posts: 3665
Joined: February 15th, 2009, 6:25 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Post by BellonaTimes » October 26th, 2014, 3:59 pm

Sue Anderson wrote:
Welcome back, BellonaTimes! :) This looks most interesting. It strikes me that subtitles were the twitter of their time. I haven't had time to listen yet, but I'll be very curious to see how you read this bit: "My most popular subtitle introduced the name of a new character, confessed Miss Loos. "The name was something like this: 'Count Xxerkzsxxv.' Then there was a note, "To those of your who read titles aloud, you can't pronounce the Count's name. You can only think it.'"
I just sorta let 'er rip 'zerrrkzee' or similar. ;)

I have another one I need to make sure I edited; it's an interview with Loos from 1920 or 22. Since we can't record Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, at least people will have this, and she's definitely the Jane Russell character. :D
They call me Threadkiller.
My Catalog Page

Sue Anderson
Posts: 4056
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » October 26th, 2014, 4:44 pm

BellonaTimes wrote:

I just sorta let 'er rip 'zerrrkzee' or similar. ;)

I have another one I need to make sure I edited; it's an interview with Loos from 1920 or 22. Since we can't record Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, at least people will have this, and she's definitely the Jane Russell character. :D
BT, I enjoyed your reading & your rendition of the Count's name. I wonder if Xxerkzsxxy might not be a good LibriVox password for somebody!

HughGil
Posts: 1887
Joined: June 7th, 2011, 1:39 pm
Location: California

Post by HughGil » October 26th, 2014, 7:13 pm

soupy wrote:Here is one from me

The Philosophy of Religion, excerpts
Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
1770-1831

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/13620/13620-h/13620-h.htm#GEORG_WILHELM_FRIEDRICH_HEGEL

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf036_thephilosophyofreligion_hegel_cc_128kb.mp3

30:06

Come and read some Goethe viewtopic.php?f=28&t=52258
Hi Soupy,

PL is okay. :thumbs:
"the story seems to take forever to go anywhere - and I know where it is going." - m8b1 2012

HughGil
Posts: 1887
Joined: June 7th, 2011, 1:39 pm
Location: California

Post by HughGil » October 26th, 2014, 7:14 pm

JohnNDaily wrote:These are all such thoughtful and serious selections, that I couldn't resist throwing some light satire into the mix (of course, I'm more than happy to switch to something else if you'd like to keep the tone consistent throughout). :)

"Goldfish"
by A. A. Milne
Text: http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/5803/pg5803.html
7:12
MP3: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf036_goldfish_milne_jnd_128kb.mp3
Hi John,

PL is okay. :thumbs:
"the story seems to take forever to go anywhere - and I know where it is going." - m8b1 2012

HughGil
Posts: 1887
Joined: June 7th, 2011, 1:39 pm
Location: California

Post by HughGil » October 26th, 2014, 7:15 pm

LukeSartor wrote:
LukeSartor wrote:Hi there!

William Osler's 'A Way of Life' is ready for PLing.
39:22

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf036_awayoflife_osler_LS_128kb.mp3
Just adding a reminder that this has been recorded and is ready for PLing. I don't have access to the MW so I can't add it and tag it as "Ready to PL" but it is. :thumbs:
Hi Luke,

PL is okay. :thumbs:
"the story seems to take forever to go anywhere - and I know where it is going." - m8b1 2012

HughGil
Posts: 1887
Joined: June 7th, 2011, 1:39 pm
Location: California

Post by HughGil » October 26th, 2014, 7:16 pm

Sue Anderson wrote:Driving the Lincoln Highway, Chicago to Rochelle, Illinois, in 1915
by Emily Post
20:18
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf036_lincolnhighway_post_sa_128kb.mp3

from By Motor to the Golden Gate by Emily Post
https://archive.org/stream/bymotortogolden00postgoog#page/n96/mode/1up
Hi Sue,

PL is okay. :thumbs: It's great to hear your voice again. :D

I have to apologize for my delay in PLing. We have been crazy busy at work lately, had to work yesterday, and more work from home today. Hopefully it will ease up soon.

Hugh
Last edited by HughGil on October 26th, 2014, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"the story seems to take forever to go anywhere - and I know where it is going." - m8b1 2012

HughGil
Posts: 1887
Joined: June 7th, 2011, 1:39 pm
Location: California

Post by HughGil » October 26th, 2014, 7:16 pm

BellonaTimes wrote:The Handwriting on the Screen
by Karl Schmidt (Everybody's Magazine, Vol 36, Jan-June 1917)
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015023132973;view=1up;seq=7
from an interview with Anita Loos about her writing of the title cards in silent movies.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf036_handwritingonthescreen_schmidt_bt_128kb.mp3
8:13
Hi BT,

PL is okay. :thumbs:
"the story seems to take forever to go anywhere - and I know where it is going." - m8b1 2012

Post Reply