[COMPLETE] On Our Selection by Steele Rudd - smijen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

On Our Selection by Steele Rudd (1868 - 1935).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/on-our-selection-by-steele-rudd/
The humorous account of Dad and Dave and the rest of the Rudd clan as they attempt to carve a farming 'selection' out of the Australian wilderness in spite of fire, famine, snakebite, and a loony hired hand. (Son of the Exiles)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3677
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of On Our Selection. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "On Our Selection, by Steele Rudd. Chapter [number], [chapter title]."

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of On Our Selection by Steele Rudd. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "Chapter [number], [chapter title]."
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of On Our Selection, by Steele Rudd. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename onourselection_##_rudd_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. onourselection_01_rudd.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Steele Rudd
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: On Our Selection

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: smijen
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

While chapter length is quite variable in this book ... the chapters were originally stand-alone sketches written for The Bulletin periodical ... I would suggest, if possible, that they be listed and recorded separately rather than combined into clumps, as each chapter works very well by itself as a short story.

Regards,
Son of the Exiles
smijen

Post by smijen »

Hello! Happy to MC for you, but I won't be able to set up the MW until later tonight I'm afraid. I'm OK with the variable chapter length. Go ahead and upload to my folder if you are already recording. :)
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.
smijen

Post by smijen »

Well, that was a little later than I promised. :oops: Sorry about that!

I didn't realize this was your first solo.
Here are some instructions for working the Magic Window: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ
Post here or PM me if you have any questions.

We'll hang out here for another day or two in hopes of snagging a DPL.

Have fun!
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Please don't ever sweat response times, Sarah. Since work picked up recently (I drive a truck), I myself usually only ever get any substantial recording done in the very early hours of Saturday and Sunday mornings before the household is awake. My son, the other early riser, is very understanding, and my wife and daughter like a lie-in on the weekend. Though then one has to slot recording in between the various noise clusters. If the banksias in the yard are in bloom, the fruit bats are squeaking in the hours before dawn. Then the rainbow lorikeets yak it up after sunrise as they clock on at the banksias as the bats clock off. Then the overnight curfew at Kingsford-Smith airport ends and the stacked-up international jet-airliners all start to land. They're not deafening ... it's not like we're in the Inner West ... but if the prevailing winds mean they're being routed over us, they will intrude on any recording.

I hope none of those extraneous noises has made it into any of my recordings. :oops: I think I caught all such bloopers.

Though that's just given me an idea for this "On Our Selection" recording. If I can just get a cheap version of those directional microphones I've heard about, I could incorporate a brief bird recording at the end of several chapters in "On Our Selection" where there is a bird reference. For example, at one point at the end of a chapter, an old selector (think "homesteader" in North America) is buried under a tree wherein a lot of kookaburras roost at night (though they're referred to as "jackasses" in the chapter...the old colonial name for the bird known as the "kookaburra" was "Laughing Jackass" or just "jackass" for short...its call sounds like maniacal human laughter). If I can get a decent recording of the local kookas or magpies or the bellbirds at my cousin's place, it might make an interesting interlude sound in the recordings.

Thanks so much for starting me thinking along these lines, Sarah. :)

Regards and Cheers,
Son of the Exiles
smijen

Post by smijen »

Oh dear - I certainly didn't mean to start you thinking along those lines! We actually have a policy that we do not add sound effects to our recordings. We've had lots of issues with these over the years (sound effects not PD, sound effects obscuring the recording, etc., etc., etc.) so we just have a blanket policy now that we do not do them.

You can read more here:
http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Music_Rules (should say Music and Sound Effect Rules!)
and decide if you want to do a version with sound effects to upload to archive.org.
Let me know if you have any questions.

And good luck finding time to record! :D
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Okay, dropping the birdcall idea. I don't think I could get the kookaburras to sign a release into the public domain. :)

Hope to have a chapter done this coming weekend.

Cheers,
Son of the Exiles
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

(http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Music_Rules (should say Music and Sound Effect Rules!)
Now it does ;)

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
smijen

Post by smijen »

Thanks, Ruth! :D

It's obvious when you get to the page, but not from the URL.
denisedee

Post by denisedee »

Hello

Have you already found or had anyone in mind to PL this project?

I'd like to if everybody agrees,

Thanks,
Denise
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

You have the Australian vote. :D
denisedee

Post by denisedee »

Great, thanks! :)
Denise
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Section 1 posted.

Duration: 8:27

https://librivox.org/uploads/smijen/onourselection_01_rudd_128kb.mp3

Cheers,
Son of the Exiles
jessieyun0404

Post by jessieyun0404 »

Hi.

I would like to PL some of your sections.
I will do it if it is agreed. :)
~Jessie

Epic Music composer studying Film and Media Arts, BA :D
I love lights, camera, colors, and story!
Here are some tunes I made.

Staying in the U.S. starting Fall 2021.
smijen

Post by smijen »

jessieyun0404 wrote:Hi.

I would like to PL some of your sections.
I will do it if it is agreed. :)
Hi Jessie,
Dennisedee has already signed up to be DPL for this project. "DPL" means Dedicated Proof Listener, and she will listen to all the sections.

Normally you can tell that a project has a DPL because their name will appear in the magic window, and there will be no ~ in the title of the thread.
In this case, I hadn't done those things yet because I was waiting for the BC to give the OK, so you would have had to read through the thread.

If you'd like to help out with PL'ing other projects, check out the Listeners Wanted forum and/or look for other projects in the Launch Pad that still have the ~ symbol at the beginning. Keep up the enthusiasm! :)