COMPLETE Star-Treader and Other Poems by C.A Smith-maryann

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

The Star-Treader and Other Poems by Clark Ashton Smith (1893 - 1961).
Clark Ashton Smith, referred to as one of the big three of Weird Tales, was a romantic-style poet, a Lovecraftian-style writer and a literary friend of H.P Lovecraft. As a poet, he was considered one of the last great West Coast Romantics. The Star-Treader and Other Poems, published at the age of 19, was his first volume of poetry and his breakout hit. (Mary Kay)
This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-star-treader-and-other-poems-by-clark-ashton-smith/
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/38410
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.
    6. Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
      • Project Code: kkc2pkjn
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Clark Ashton Smith) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clark_Ashton_Smith
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 58
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      • Original publication date (if known): 1912
      • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

============================================

Genres for the project: Poetry/Single author

Keywords that describe the book: poetry, nature, romantic, smith, clark, ashton, clark ashton smith, star-treader, early career poetry

============================================
    7. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    8. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      For the 1st Section only, read the following, full Librivox disclaimer:
      • "Section [number] of The Star-Treader and Other Poems by Clark Ashton Smith. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Star-Treader and Other Poems by Clark Ashton Smith. [Poem Title]"
      For all Subsequent poems
      • At the beginning of the recording, read the abbreviated "LibriVox disclaimer":
      "[Poem title], by Clark Ashton Smith, read for LibriVox.org by [your name]" or some variation on that, adding date, location, your personal URL, etc., if you wish.
      • Then read the poem.
      • At the end, say: "End of poem. This recording is in the public domain." and leave five seconds of silence.

At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "The Star-Treader and Other Poems by Clark Ashton Smith. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    startreader_##_smith_128kbps.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. startreader_01_smith_128kbps.mp3)
  • Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Any questions?
    Please post below
If you chose to read a section with more than one poem, please read all the poems listed in the section.

THE MASQUE OF FORSAKEN GODS –
The Masque of the Forsaken Gods reads like a short play. I will narrate, and whoever wants to voice each part may reserve them separately and read them as lines. I will edit the final product together.
Please start these sections as "[name of part] by [your name]."

The sections are short, so please take more than one part!!
Last edited by Tortilla on October 24th, 2014, 7:01 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Hello! Newly graduated and occasional Librivox contributor.
denisedee

Post by denisedee »

Hello

I see the project has just come out, and no one had the time (yet!) to self assign any of the poems.

I'd like to do some PL-ing (and if no one is interested in DPL, maybe that too)

Thanks
Denise
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

denisedee wrote:Hello

I see the project has just come out, and no one had the time (yet!) to self assign any of the poems.

I'd like to do some PL-ing (and if no one is interested in DPL, maybe that too)

Thanks
Would you like to take up the role of DPL? It is fairly intensive, but the sections are short and wouldn't be a huge burden. :)

I have updated the top post with the theoretical MW. Some of the poems are very short, 20-30 words, so I have combined a couple. There is one poem that reads more like a closet drama, so I will narrate it and edit it like a short play.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Tortilla,

I can MC this for you.

How about you use the short poetry disclaimer since the poems/sections are so short. Here's what we are doing on "Foliage" as a model:
For the 1st Section only, read the following, full Librivox disclaimer:
  • "Section [number] of Foliage by William Henry Davies. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Foliage by William Henry Davies. [Poem Title]"
For all Subsequent poems
• At the beginning of the recording, read the abbreviated "LibriVox disclaimer":
"[Poem title], by William Henry Davies, read for LibriVox.org by [your name]" or some variation on that, adding date, location, your personal URL, etc., if you wish.
• Then read the poem.
• At the end, say: "End of poem. This recording is in the public domain." and leave five seconds of silence.

At the end of the book, say (in addition):
"End of Foliage, by William Henry Davies. " [/list]
And for now, how about putting the "play" at the bottom of the MW - you can move it up into place when it's edited together and then I can delete the "part" files off the bottom of the MW when I catalog. Are you planning to have folks do a "part x read by y" for that? I think it's a good idea to have a cast list at the beginning of that particular section. Do you want one reader for "The Gods Together"? Or is that several people reading together? (which you can do by recording it yourself with a good pace for together reading, then having other people read along with you. You layer them over each other as Ruth makes the anniversary songs. Not saying that it would work or work well, but just throwing out the idea.)

And let's shorten the file name - that's longer than some of the poems!

MaryAnn
kmasters

Post by kmasters »

Hi

Please may I have:

Section 2: Chant to Sirius
Section 4: The Morning Pool
Section 5: The Night Forest
Section 6: The Mad Wind
Section 7: Song to Oblivion
Section 8: Medusa

Regards

Ken
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

kmasters wrote:Hi

Please may I have:

Section 2: Chant to Sirius
Section 4: The Morning Pool
Section 5: The Night Forest
Section 6: The Mad Wind
Section 7: Song to Oblivion
Section 8: Medusa

Regards

Ken
I have assigned you the parts, but they are not the sections you listed above. If you want to read Mad Wind and Morning Pool, please also read Soul of the Sea and combine them all into one section as specified in the MW. Thank you!
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

Hello

Please may I have:

Section 14: The Wind and the Moon
Section 24: The Cherry-Snows / Fairy Lanterns
Section 35: A Live Oak-Leaf / Pine Needles
Section 51: Artemis

Best regards, Jennifer
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Moving this thread over to readers wanted to keep the launch pad tidy . . .
MaryAnn
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

jenniferrd wrote:Hello

Please may I have:

Best regards, Jennifer
Thank you! MW updated.
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

Tortilla wrote:

Please may I have:

Best regards, Jennifer
Thank you! MW updated.

Thank you. I do have a quick question with the sections that have two poems, how do I do the disclaimer? Do I do the disclaimer for both at the beginning with both titles, then separate them in the reading itself or do a separate disclaimer for each poem? :hmm:
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

jenniferrd wrote:
Tortilla wrote:

Please may I have:

Best regards, Jennifer
Thaknk you! MW updated.
Do the disclaimer for both titles at the beginning. Fred and Jill are read to you..." Have a pause and restate the titles alone before reading each poem.

Thank you. I do have a quick question with the sections that have two poems, how do I do the disclaimer? Do I do the disclaimer for both at the beginning with both titles, then separate them in the reading itself or do a separate disclaimer for each poem?
drsxjdrs

Post by drsxjdrs »

Hello,

I would like to volunteer for

22 White Death
23 Retrospect & Forecast
24 Shadow of Nightmare

Deb
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

drsxjdrs wrote:Hello,

I would like to volunteer for

22 White Death
23 Retrospect & Forecast
24 Shadow of Nightmare

Deb
What do you want your display name to be?
drsxjdrs

Post by drsxjdrs »

Hello,

Pls put it as drsxj.

Thank you!
jyro

Post by jyro »

I'd like to read Section 11, 12,and 13!
~Jairus (jyro)