[COMPLETE] Wilderness Ways by Wm. J. Long - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jillebean

Post by jillebean » August 22nd, 2014, 10:06 pm

Kangaroo692 wrote:
jillebean wrote:
Kangaroo692 wrote:May I read section 0?
Hello! Welcome to LibriVox!

Yes, of course you may read Section 00 for the project! We're glad to have you.

Before you record for this project it is strongly recommended that you complete a 1-minute test. This helps ensure that you have everything set up correctly and that your audio is at the correct levels which saves you from having to re-record files for projects like this one. Here is the wiki page on how to record, upload, and receive feedback on your 1-minute test:
http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test

Also, if you haven't already seen it, the Newbie Guide to Recording is a page you should read through:
http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording

I have added you to the LibriVox catalog, you can see your catalog page at: https://librivox.org/reader/9478. You can also get to this by clicking on your name in the Magic Window (MW). This is a good place to look to keep track of recordings you've signed up for, to see section details click on the link to "Reader Section Details" which appears just a few lines down from your name. This page includes your forum name "Kangaroo692" and can also contain your real name or a pseudonym, plus a web site/blog if you have one you would like to link to. Let me know if you would like to add a name and/or a web site.

Again, welcome to LibriVox and enjoy!

Jill
Thank you for your advice.
Also thank you for creating my catalog page.

I have read the "Newbie Guide to Recording" and a lot of other pages from the wiki.

May I also record Section 01?
Hi Kangaroo692. Thanks for your recording. Our proof listener won't be able to listen to it until early next week so I'll hold off until then to assign you section 1. It's easier to get one recording worked out when you're new before making more recordings. I see that you posted your one-minute test, that's great! You may learn something from your feedback on that that you might want to apply to this recording as well. If so, you can always reupload the file after edits have been made. Otherwise our proof listener, Fritz, will give you feedback in a few days. Thanks again for your contribution!

Jill :thumbs:

Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 » August 23rd, 2014, 8:12 am

I've re-recorded Section 00! (07:25)

Here it is:
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/wildernessways_00_long.mp3

jillebean

Post by jillebean » August 23rd, 2014, 8:38 am

Kangaroo692 wrote:I've re-recorded Section 00! (07:25)

Here it is:
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/wildernessways_00_long.mp3
Thanks! I'll update the MW (Magic Window) so our DPL (Dedicated Proof Listener) knows when he takes a listen. :)

Jill

jillebean

Post by jillebean » August 26th, 2014, 7:15 am

Kangaroo692 wrote:
May I also record Section 01?
Kangaroo692 -- I've also assigned you Section 01 that you asked for since you have a PL OK under your belt on a different project. :clap: Thanks!

Jill

pschempf

Post by pschempf » August 27th, 2014, 10:26 am

Kangaroo692-

Back from my travels so down to business-

Technical specs-

The beginning silence is just a bit sort at 0.4 seconds (target = 0.5-1.0 seconds), but not worth fussing with. The ending silence is a bit long at 7 seconds (target for recordings <30 minutes = 5 seconds). There are several distracting noises that could be clipped out of the ending silence and would shorten it closer to the target. I mention these mainly as a suggested improvement for future recordings.

Volume is too high at 93.9dB. Target is 89dB ± 3. Please amplify it by -4.9dB. If you are using Audacity as your editing software you can lower the volume by selecting the entire recording (An easy way to do that is to click in the box just to the left of the wave form display. The wave form display will turn blue). Then select "Effect", then "Amplify", from the toolbar at the top. Enter -4.9 in the "Amplification (dB):" box at the top of the window that opens. Click "OK" and the volume will be adjusted the amount you entered.

Recording edits needed-

At 3:34 - "driving their own offspring savagely away." "Driving" is muddled and the meaning of the phrase not clear.

At 6:09 - "as everywhere else in the world," I hear woods. Again, the meaning is lost.

General background noise is good and not distracting, but there are a number of places in the recording where there are extraneous noises. Ones I noted are at 1:52, 2:09, 2:39 (footsteps?), 4:41 (papers), 5:01 (papers), 5:55 (creaking, chair?), 6:16 (paper) and 7:14 (loud click). Some of these are isolated and can be easily corrected, but others are over the text and may need that particular piece to be re-recorded and inserted. I will leave it to you and Jill to determine if these need to be cleaned up, but something to consider in future recordings.

Another suggestion - it is best to do your edits starting at the end of the recording so the edits don't alter the times noted above before you find them.

Please adjust the volume, make the 2 edits to the text and whatever edits to the noises agreeable to you and Jill.
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope

jillebean

Post by jillebean » August 27th, 2014, 10:49 am

pschempf wrote:Kangaroo692-

General background noise is good and not distracting, but there are a number of places in the recording where there are extraneous noises. Ones I noted are at 1:52, 2:09, 2:39 (footsteps?), 4:41 (papers), 5:01 (papers), 5:55 (creaking, chair?), 6:16 (paper) and 7:14 (loud click). Some of these are isolated and can be easily corrected, but others are over the text and may need that particular piece to be re-recorded and inserted. I will leave it to you and Jill to determine if these need to be cleaned up, but something to consider in future recordings.

Another suggestion - it is best to do your edits starting at the end of the recording so the edits don't alter the times noted above before you find them.

Please adjust the volume, make the 2 edits to the text and whatever edits to the noises agreeable to you and Jill.
Thanks Fritz! I listened with headphones and the extra noises that I think should be fixed are the ones at 1:52, 2:09, 4:41, 5:01, and 7:14. The rest I would say are up to you Kangaroo. Let us know if you have any questions about making the fixes. Thanks!

Jill :)

nicanate

Post by nicanate » August 29th, 2014, 5:32 am

I'll take section 3 if I may. Looks like a delightful work!

jillebean

Post by jillebean » August 29th, 2014, 9:22 am

nicanate wrote:I'll take section 3 if I may. Looks like a delightful work!
It is all yours! Thanks for claiming and, enjoy!

nicanate

Post by nicanate » August 30th, 2014, 3:41 pm

OK, here's section 3. https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/wildernessways_03_long_128kb.mp3

I'm finding out that reading a chapter like this is a bit more challenging than a short piece of poetry! Let me know if it needs more work.

Also, may I go ahead and take section 4?

Nathan

jillebean

Post by jillebean » August 30th, 2014, 9:56 pm

nicanate wrote:OK, here's section 3. https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/wildernessways_03_long_128kb.mp3

I'm finding out that reading a chapter like this is a bit more challenging than a short piece of poetry! Let me know if it needs more work.

Also, may I go ahead and take section 4?

Nathan
Hi Nathan. Thanks for your section! I have posted it in the MW and our DPL Phil will be along sometime soon to PL it for you. Also, Section 4 is all yours! Thanks again!

Jill

nicanate

Post by nicanate » August 31st, 2014, 1:56 pm

Section 4 is completed now; here's the link: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/wildernessways_04_long_128kb.mp3
The recording duration is 25:33
I'll take section 5, if I may!

jillebean

Post by jillebean » August 31st, 2014, 2:54 pm

nicanate wrote:Section 4 is completed now; here's the link: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/wildernessways_04_long_128kb.mp3
The recording duration is 25:33
I'll take section 5, if I may!
Thanks for this and section 5 is yours. Enjoy!

pschempf

Post by pschempf » August 31st, 2014, 6:47 pm

Nathan-

I very much enjoyed your reading of Section 3 and while your onomatopoetic pieces didn't quite have me jumping up and down and clapping, it was close and I certainly was smiling. The technical aspects of your recording were fine and the text almost word perfect. I have the following notes:

2:34-3:13, 3:13-3:51 A repeated block of text here from "It was good... to ...when you cannot hear Killooleet singing." I'm not sure which was the better, but one needs to go.

9:24 "...the ripple of water under the bow,..." You have the wrong bow, it should rhyme with the "Ow!" as when you burn your finger or the "bow-wow" of a dog rather than the bow of "bow and arrows".

13:36 "But I must tell you about that elsewhere." Elsewhere is muddled and not understandable.

A couple odd noises. One at 17:26 between words that can easily be clipped and another at 17:47-48 over words that may need to be redone.

I'm a bit obsessive about breath noise and think your recording would be improved by generally dampening it with noise removal. If you are editing with Audacity, I'd select a bit of it, say the piece at 1:26, not including any of the spoken words, click "Effect/Noise Removal/Get Noise Profile" on the toolbar. That will identify the type of noise you'd like to reduce. Then select the entire recording and click again "Effect/Noise Removal/OK". The settings I use for Noise Removal are: Noise reduction 10, Sensitivity 0, Frequency smoothing 150, and attack/decay time 0.10 with the " Noise - Remove" radio button checked. These settings result in a "light" cleaning and will reduce, but not eliminate the sound which would create dead air and sound odd. I really do expect you to breath during the recording. Try it and see what you think. Save a copy before you make the change so you can return to it if that is your preference. There are those who disagree with me and think the sound of breathing is part of an audio book. I just prefer it to be a small part.

Remember it is easiest to edit from the end forward so the times above aren't altered by edits preceding them.

I'm looking forward to your next section to hear of the bloodthirsty Kagax, much maligned by Long.
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope

nicanate

Post by nicanate » August 31st, 2014, 7:29 pm

OK, thanks for those points. I'll try to revise and get it back whenever I get a break in my work week. :) I was afraid I'd slip up and miss deleting one of my mistake/repeat phrases! :lol: Hopefully I didn't forget to delete anything too embarrassing!

Thanks for the tip about beginning from the end (I would never have thought of that :roll: , and it will save me a lot of trouble). Also the quality tips. I really am all into trying to improve quality, and am glad for all the help I can get. I know I have a rather long way to go. I did the noise reduction for background noise, but not for the breaths. I'll definitely try that.

Enjoying!
Nathan

pschempf

Post by pschempf » September 1st, 2014, 10:51 am

Nathan-

Ooooooh - he was bloodthirsty! :shock: A couple notes-

0:17 - Intro is for Chapter 4, not 3.

A rough patch of noise starting at 9:24 phone?, 9:36-37 two clicks, 9:43 rumble. May be easiest to re-record this piece rather than try edit out the noises.

Tech specs all good.

Be careful with volume spikes to avoid clipping your file. Spikes may also prevent you from amplifying your recording if necessary. The "Compressor" tool can decrease spikes while not altering volume on softer passages, eloquently explained here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ3lOTDsN6c
by Phil Chenevert, one of a bunch of helpful videos he has made cataloged here:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=33439
I don't see any problem with this file - just for future reference.

Thanks for another very enjoyable recording. :thumbs:
Fritz

Trollope