COMPLETE: Letters of Pliny by Pliny the Younger-choc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
English Andrew

Post by English Andrew »

Letters of Pliny by Pliny the Younger (61 - ca. 112). Translated by William Melmoth (1710 - 1799) and others

This project is complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/letters-of-pliny-by-pliny-the-younger/
The largest surviving body of Pliny's work is his Epistulae (Letters), a series of personal missives directed to his friends, associates and the Emperor Trajan. These letters are a unique testimony of Roman administrative history and everyday life in the 1st century CE. Especially noteworthy among the letters are two in which he describes the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in August 79, during which his uncle Pliny the Elder died (Section 10 in this recording), and one in which he asks the Emperor for instructions regarding official policy concerning Christians (Section 21 in this recording). Other letters include ghost stories, a tale of a dolphin, descriptions of Pliny's villas, and Pliny's opinions on legacy-hunting, the treatment of servants and the decline in respect for orators. (Wikipedia revised by Andrew Coleman)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2811
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): wordperfect

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Introduction to Letters of Pliny. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Letters of Pliny, by Pliny the Younger. Translated by William Melmoth, revised by FCT Bosanquet [Introduction]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of Letters of Pliny by Pliny the Younger. Translated by William Melmoth, revised by FCT Bosanquet. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Section title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Letters of Pliny, by Pliny the Younger. Translated by William Melmoth, revised by FCT Bosanquet"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename lettersofpliny_##_plinytheyounger_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. lettersofpliny_01_plinytheyounger_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Pliny the Younger
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Letters of Pliny

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: leni
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by English Andrew on July 20th, 2015, 7:18 am, edited 6 times in total.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

What a joy that you will be reading those! I thought about reading them more than once, but never actually got to it. I am so glad someone else will!

I can MC this for you, as well. Be back soon with the MW.
Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

MW up, let me know if it looks good and if I can help in any way. :D
Leni
=================
English Andrew

Post by English Andrew »

Dear Leni,
Thank you very much for agreeing to help. I was surprised to find nobody had done Pliny’s Letters before. I read them at school and loved them.

I don’t know exactly how many sections there will be but I’m assuming the number can be adjusted once the project is underway.

I would like to re-word slightly the things said at the start and end of the sections, if that’s OK. I would like to use the word “Section” rather than “Chapter”, and use the phrase “Translated by William Melmoth, revised by FCT Bosanquet” rather than “Translated by William Melmoth (1710 - 1799) and others”. Is that all right?

Andrew
Live in a Life + 70 or Life + 50 country? Record with us on legamus.eu too. It's like LibriVox but for those who obey different ridiculous rules on what's public domain.
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Hi

I'd happily be DPL on the project. :)

I also studied these at school, along with Juvenal and Tacitus. So pleased to re-encounter them.

Best wishes
Martin
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Hi, Andrew

Yes, certainly, please do reword the intros. I suggest you actually change it in the first post, to match what you will be reading, to make it easier for the PLer to check. And you can just let me know whenever you need sections added/ removed.

I added Martin as DPLer (always great to work with you, Martin!), and I am moving this thread to Going Solo!
Leni
=================
English Andrew

Post by English Andrew »

Delighted to be working with Leni, and to have Martin as my DPL again. Here are the Introduction and Letters 1 to 7:
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/lettersofpliny_00_plinytheyounger_128kb.mp3 5.26 MB 5.45 mins.
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/lettersofpliny_01_plinytheyounger_128kb.mp3 29.4 MB 32.08 mins.
Live in a Life + 70 or Life + 50 country? Record with us on legamus.eu too. It's like LibriVox but for those who obey different ridiculous rules on what's public domain.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Hi, Andrew!

Do you have access to the window?
Leni
=================
English Andrew

Post by English Andrew »

No. How do I access it?
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Hi Andrew

Both sections are PL all OK; levels OK, etc. - Coming after your Proust marathon, Pliny's silver-age eloquence must be rather restful?

I instantly sympathise with him when he writes of "indulging my beloved inactivity".

Best
Martin

ETA - Leni, I have filled in the MW, in case Andrew does not yet have his entry rights.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

English Andrew wrote:No. How do I access it?
Hi, Andrew

Sending you instruction by private message right now. :)
Leni
=================
English Andrew

Post by English Andrew »

When I click on the BC button below the Magic Window it comes up with a message telling me I do not have the authority to do that. How do I login after the first time to alter the Magic Window?

Anyway, here are the next two sections:
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/lettersofpliny_02_plinytheyounger_128kb.mp3 32.9MB 35.56 mins
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/lettersofpliny_03_plinytheyounger_128kb.mp3 27.8MB 30.25 mins.

It includes a tribute to Verginius Rufus, a man who deserves a historical novel. He came really close to becoming Emperor in the crisis following Nero's death, chose not to but still survived to die a natural death!
English Andrew

Post by English Andrew »

I tried logging in to the Magic Window on a different computer and it worked, although it took so long saying it was saving that I gave up and came out of the screen. I then had a look at the project screen and it had saved. At least it worked!
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Hi
Section 2 and 3 both word-perfectly PL OK, and very entertaining to boot.

He very properly castigates the citizens who don't appreciate the delightful luxury of being read-aloud to.

Best wishes
Martin
English Andrew

Post by English Andrew »