COMPLETECoffee Break Collection 10 -War and Conflict-maryann

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LibriFoxy

Post by LibriFoxy »

Garth, thanks so much for your two seconds! Added to MW.

MaryAnn, thanks for the information!! I understand now! I also believe R. Valentine (The author for section 14) needs to be added to the author database.
Rosie in Boston

Coffee Break Collection 12 is up and looking for readers! Theme: The Performing Arts!
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Rosie,

Would you mind doing a bit of research on the author? She's listed on the title page as Mrs. R. Valentine. OpenLibrary lists her as Laura Valentine, and when I search on Laura Valentine on Wikipedia I get this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Valentine
The dates are right that this Laura Valentine could have written this book, but I was wondering because the title seemed rather different from the other stuff she wrote . . . unless the "Sea fights and land battles" book is geared to juveniles? :hmm:

Can you see what you can find and let me know what you think.

MaryAnn
Veggrower

Post by Veggrower »

Hi again,

Regarding Mrs Valentine, this is the source I looked at when checking birth and death dates. She appears to have been quite a prolific author, writing under several different names.

http://www.authorandbookinfo.com/cgi-bin/auth.pl?J000982

Hope this helps

Garth
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Garth. My, but she was very prolific. Maybe we will see more of her in the catalog in the future.

She has been added to the author database.

MaryAnn
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Section 14 is PL OK
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Section 15 is PL OK
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

I would like, if possible, to read a single sub-section of Lord Byron's "Childe Harold's Pilgrimage", Canto The Fourth.

Specifically...

"XCVIII.
Yet, Freedom! yet thy banner, torn, but flying,
Streams like the thunder-storm AGAINST the wind;
Thy trumpet-voice, though broken now and dying,
The loudest still the tempest leaves behind;
Thy tree hath lost its blossoms, and the rind,
Chopped by the axe, looks rough and little worth,
But the sap lasts,—and still the seed we find
Sown deep, even in the bosom of the North;
So shall a better spring less bitter fruit bring forth."

However, I am uncertain as to how to refer to it in the intro. Is "Stanza" 98 the correct way to say it?

Cheers,
Son of the Exiles

P.S. Other Australians of a certain age will probably recognise the source of the motivation here... :)
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
DomBombadil

Post by DomBombadil »

Hey everyone!

I recorded a short piece that I thought might fit into this collection.
It is a short chapter from the book "The adventurous Simplicissimus" by Hans Jacob Christoph von Grimmelshausen. In the book a simple child (Simplicissimus) witnesses the cruelties of the 30-years-war, without fully realizing the horror of it.
I had the feeling that this chapter stands well on ist own. It is pretty graphic, though.
Furthermore I´m not a native English-Speaker, so you might find my accent distracting.
So you decide, whether or not you want to include this recording in the collection.

Title: Chapter IV, Book I of "The Adventurous Simplicissimus"
Author: Hans Jacob Christoph von Grimmelshausen (1621-1676) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Jakob_Christoffel_von_Grimmelshausen)
Original text: https://archive.org/stream/theadventuroussi33858gut/pg33858.txt
Recording: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/coffeebreak010_simplicissimus_vongrimmelshausen_128kb.mp3
Length: 06:51

DomBombadil
"Dom Bom, jolly Dom, DomBombadillo!"
LibriFoxy

Post by LibriFoxy »

Son Of The Exiles, I'm thinking that without the section being titled otherwise, saying "Section 98" would be the most general way to describe it, in case the author didn't consider it a stanza. It's a great find; are there any others in the same piece that would work with this collection? The only drawback of such a long intro is that they can be longer than the pieces!!

DomBombadil, thanks for your section! I listened for a bit and found it easy to understand. I've updated the MW!

And I just added section 17! Found an anthology called "Victorian Stories of Troubled Marriages" :)

MaryAnn, I tried "Valentine" but the database wasn't pulling it up. Is that how she's entered? Thank you both for researching her!! And I'm not sure how this slipped my mind, but I didn't put ID3 tag instructions in the thread. Are those not being done for the collections? (I see some others say they're not necessary.) Thanks!!
Rosie in Boston

Coffee Break Collection 12 is up and looking for readers! Theme: The Performing Arts!
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Hmm. I've checked and she's in the Author database under Jewry. But I also entered Valentine as a pseudonym, so I'm not sure why she's not showing up when you type Valentine. I've asked one other admins to check if I did the entry correctly, so let's wait for someone who has a bit more expertise in that author table to look at it.

People do not need to put the ID3 tags on when they upload the files . . . those will be added at cataloging based on the information that you are adding to the MW.

Some admins still have people put the tags on their files in collections to make sure that they have all the info needed to fill out the MW. I really wasn't thinking about it when I set up your project. My standard MO is to delete the ID3 tag section from the first post template because it's all overwritten at cataloging anyway . . . and I didn't realize that this being a collection, you might want people to enter than info to help with your MW.

We can add the section to the first post again if you think it will be helpful, or we can proceed as we have been, with people entering the necessary information in their post so that you can complete the MW meta data.

MaryAnn
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Childe Harold's Pilgrimage, Canto the Fourth, Sections 93 through 96 and Section 98, by George Byron (1788-1824)
Text URL: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/5131/5131-h/5131-h.htm#link2H_4_0006
Duration: 4:12
MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/coffeebreak010_childeharoldspilgrimagecantothefourthsections93through96and98_byron.mp3

Cheers,
Son of the Exiles
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:Hmm. I've checked and she's in the Author database under Jewry. But I also entered Valentine as a pseudonym, so I'm not sure why she's not showing up when you type Valentine. I've asked one other admins to check if I did the entry correctly, so let's wait for someone who has a bit more expertise in that author table to look at it.
Yup, I put the pseudonym in incorrectly. Don't do that very often I guess. I think it's fixed now, so please try again.

Sorry about that.

MaryAnn
LibriFoxy

Post by LibriFoxy »

I don't use the ID3 tags at all for the MW, so fine to leave them out! Just wanted to make sure!

SOTE, thanks for your section! MW will be updated soon!
Rosie in Boston

LibriFoxy

Post by LibriFoxy »

MW updated. I thought I'd change the title to "Selections From Childe Harold's Pilgrimage", since I imagine you mention the canto and section numbers in the intro? I haven't had a chance to listen, but I imagine it's all there, so that should be enough for a reader to find it. Thanks again for the section!

Wow, this collection is filling up more quickly than any of the others! Guess there's plenty written about human conflict. The next theme will be Science!
Rosie in Boston

Bill Mosley

Post by Bill Mosley »

Howdy from Texas!

I've done this from Henry van Dyke:

text source http://www.gutenberg.org/files/6009/6009-h/6009-h.htm#link2H_4_0024
Henry Van Dyke
The Hero And Tin Soldiers
From The Valley of Vision, by Henry Van Dyke
9:55
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/coffeebreak010_herotinsoldiers_vandyke_128.mp3

Hope it fits your criteria....

Bill
Bill

How did it get so late so soon?
It’s night before it’s afternoon.
December is here before it’s June.
My goodness how the time has flewn.
How did it get so late so soon?
~Dr. Seuss