COMPLETE [HIST/LAW] Magna Carta Commemoration Essays-RuthieG

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
carolb

Post by carolb » April 14th, 2015, 1:29 am

Shh! :wink: MaryAnn, I'm having trouble just reading the English in this project! :oops:

Carol

RuthieG

Post by RuthieG » April 14th, 2015, 2:05 am

Not to worry, MaryAnn. I'll stick it in the orphans thread and see if I can find another US reader. The dashed man didn't die till 1963 (his Wikipedia entry says he was a difficult man, and so he is proving ;)).

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding

RuthieG

Post by RuthieG » April 15th, 2015, 4:44 am

Maria and I will stitch that section together between us :thumbs:. Thanks, Maria!

Back to Readers Found!

Ruth

commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 » April 15th, 2015, 11:19 am

RuthieG wrote:Maria and I will stitch that section together between us :thumbs:. Thanks, Maria!

Back to Readers Found!

Ruth
My pleasure. We'll get there by June!

chulsky

Post by chulsky » April 16th, 2015, 10:34 am

Section 4 PL OK :clap:
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский

RuthieG

Post by RuthieG » April 20th, 2015, 9:22 am

Section 5 is up. :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/ruthieg/magnacartacommemoration_05_various_128kb.mp3

Your proof-listening is much appreciated, Karl. I realise that this is a rather esoteric text ;).

Ruth

chulsky

Post by chulsky » April 23rd, 2015, 2:01 pm

Sec.5 PL OK :thumbs:
I'm impressed by your reading, Ruth! You probably can make a phone book sound exciting :-)

RuthieG

Post by RuthieG » April 24th, 2015, 12:59 am

Thank you, Karl! I consider it an achievement if I didn't send you to sleep during that section :lol:. It was er... dry... to say the least.

Ruth

commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 » April 28th, 2015, 9:30 am

Hello! Just checking in to say that I'm back home and tackling section 7. Did the reading this morning and will edit the section over the next few days. (It was a lovely wedding and my niece looked like a princess!)

RuthieG

Post by RuthieG » April 29th, 2015, 1:37 am

I'm so glad it went well, Maria! Take your time :).

Ruth

commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 » April 29th, 2015, 7:00 pm

Section 7 -- (length 52:12)

https://librivox.org/uploads/ruthieg/magnacartacommemoration_07_various_128kb.mp3

Latin bits -- When the Latin bit was brief -- (one or two words in the middle of a sentence) -- I practiced "repeat after Ruth" in my own voice, so as to avoid the interruption of a different voice in mid-sentence. When the Latin was a lengthy phrase, full sentence, or paragraph -- (which there was no way I could imitate :?) -- I simply inserted Ruth's voice. If any of the bits I attempted came out badly, let me know and I'll either attempt them again or simply insert Ruth's bits.

Footnotes -- As the first post leaves it to our judgment whether or not to include footnotes, I included the ones that seemed interesting and omitted the ones that seemed boring, though perhaps what I dismissed as boring might strike someone else as interesting. If I omitted any which you think I ought to have read, let me know and I'll add them.

RuthieG

Post by RuthieG » April 30th, 2015, 12:30 pm

Many thanks, Maria!

Re the footnotes, I have done exactly the same. Re the Latin, I'm sure it will be just fine. If you'd like me to, I'll take a listen as well as Karl.

Ruth

commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 » May 1st, 2015, 10:35 am

Thanks, Ruth! I don't want you to go to the trouble of listening to the whole chapter, since we have Karl to do that -- but if you just listened to the first few bits I attempted near the beginning, especially the title of the chapter, that ought to be enough to tell whether my imitations are "close enough for folk music" (to use one of our family sayings).

chulsky

Post by chulsky » May 1st, 2015, 7:31 pm

Sec.7 PL:
12:40 a Latin expression repeated thrice.
Not sure I'm supposed to comment on this, and I'm not an expert, but the letter "c" in Latin usually sounds as "ts", thus "Iudicium" should sound as "Yuditsium", not "Yudikium" -- but I don't think it's worth re-recording, more for future, or feel free to ignore.
Otherwise -- good, I even enjoyed it, thank you! :clap:

RuthieG

Post by RuthieG » May 2nd, 2015, 1:56 am

Maria's Latin pronunciation can be blamed on me, Karl. There are at least two ways to pronounce Latin: classical Latin and ecclesiastical Latin being the main ones. How they were pronouncing it at the time of Magna Carta, I have no idea - probably closer to ecclesiastical pronunciation. However, anyone who has studied Latin will understand the classical pronunciation as long as it is done clearly and relatively consistently. I took the decision to use as close as I could come to classical Latin (with the proviso that it is many, many years since I actually studied it) mainly for one reason. In ecclesiastical pronunciation, the ending -e sounds the same as the ending -ae. At least the pronunciation we have used will make it clear what the words actually are, even if it won't please any Latin or Mediaeval scholar :).

Maria, your Latin bits sound clear and accurate to me, and that is what I was hoping to achieve myself (like my bits of Old French, which also are not authentic but should be intelligible).

Ruth