COMPLETE [W P] The Revelation by Coventry Patmore - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

The Revelation by Coventry Patmore (1823 - 1896)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-revelation-by-coventry-patmore/
Coventry Kersey Dighton Patmore was an English poet and critic best known for The Angel in the House, his narrative poem about an ideal happy marriage. (Summary from Wikipedia)
Each week a poem is chosen to be recorded by as many LibriVox volunteers as possible!
This week's poem can be found here.

Set your recording software to:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44100 kHz

Have questions on "how"?
Check LV's Recording Notes thread before recording. If this is your first recording, you'll also find this Newbie Guide to Recording useful.

No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Begin your reading with the abbreviated LibriVox disclaimer:
The Revelation by Coventry Patmore read for LibriVox.org by [your name].
[Add, if you wish, date, your location, and/or your personal url.]
Then read the poem:

AN idle poet, here and there,
Looks round him, but, for all the rest,
The world, unfathomably fair,
Is duller than a witling's jest.
Love wakes men, once a lifetime each;
They lift their heavy lids, and look;
And, lo, what one sweet page can teach,
They read with joy, then shut the book.
And some give thanks, and some blaspheme,
And most forget, but, either way,
That and the child's unheeded dream
Is all the light of all their day.

At the end of your reading, leave a space and then say:
End of poem. This recording is in the public domain.

Please leave 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording.

Save your recording as an mp3 file using the following filename and ID3 tag format:
File name - all in lowercase: revelation_patmore_your initials in lowercase_128kb.mp3 (e.g. revelation_patmore_klh_128kb.mp3 )

ID3 tags (Version 2.30):
Artist Name: Coventry Patmore
Track Title: The Revelation - Read by YOUR INITIALS (e.g. The Revelation - Read by KLH)
Album Title: LibriVox Weekly Poetry
Comments: (optional) Recorded by [your name]

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:

https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: aradlaw
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
When you post your link, please include your name as you would like it credited on the catalogue page and any URL by which you would like it accompanied. (Note: This is only necessary if you have not done so for another project.)
(If you wish to contribute, please have your readings submitted by 0600 GMT Sunday, June 22, 2014 (12:00AM CDT)

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!<p>

Magic Window:

BC Admin
(And remember, anyone can suggest a poem for a certain week and/or coordinate an upcoming weekly poem! If you'd like to suggest a poem or coordinate a future Weekly Poetry project, please visit this thread.)
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
rita1075

Post by rita1075 »

Hello, I am Eunah.
I entered the Short Works forum just now to submit my recording of The Presence of Love, which was the weekly poetry project for June 8th. But alas! I was too late, because I managed to finish recording the poem with an iPhone app called iTalk, and completed editing the file using Audacity this evening. And when I logged in, I found out that the project was already cataloged!
Anyway, it's my fault. I should have done the recording sooner. I think of reusing the file by submitting it to the Short Poetry Collection 133. It would not be against any LibriVox rules, right?

By the way, the reason I am posting this message is that I have one thing to report about the very first post of this week's weekly poetry topic. aradlaw has provided a link for the text source of the poem "The Revelation", but when I clicked the text source link, I was led to the same PG book download page which aradlaw linked on the top post of The Presence of Love topic. I think this issue should be fixed so that potential readers can find the poem text easily from reliable sites.
Thanks.
Eunah
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Thank you for pointing out the incorrect link Eunah. It has been corrected, the poetry text is posted just a few lines down in the opening post and includes the opening and closing disclaimers.
You can still post your reading to the Short Poetry Collection 133 found here.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
rita1075

Post by rita1075 »

Thank you for your prompt response, aradlaw. I submitted the recording for the Short Poetry Collection 133 just now. Hope my file doesn't have any problem
JohnReedlol

Post by JohnReedlol »

Vandermast

Post by Vandermast »

Startling coincidence, is it not, that the superior vision of poets is recognised only by - a poet... :wink:

URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/revelation_patmore_jcm_128kb.mp3
Duration: 1:02.
jmoorhouse

Post by jmoorhouse »

arup

Post by arup »

Arup
When in doubt, it's time for a cuppa
Claire

Post by Claire »

Alondra

Post by Alondra »

Here is my recording, I am still fairly new at this. I have played around with noise reduction and did a auphonic clearing also, but parts of this are great but still something not quite right. I live in an apartment in Shanghai, that might explain. Feedback would be great if anyone has some suggestions. Thanks Could anyone let me know if these recordings are good enough for me to volunteer to do a book chapter or something a bit longer. :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/revelation_patmore_sec_128kb.mp3 52 seconds
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

David,

Great choice of poem!

The beginning of this line looks odd:
And give some thanks, and some blaspheme,
And most forget…
I wondered if it should perhaps be 'And some give thanks…'

Lo and behold, that's how it is given here:-

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/180148

I don't know which is right, of course.

That oddness was resolved in the second recording, by 'blasphemy' in the next phrase. :wink:

David
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

I do think you are right David, 'And some give thanks…' it is. :D

Thank you jmoorhouse, arup, Lee Ann and Alondra.
There seems to be a glitch with the MW and uploader at present, I can't download your readings, but will try later. :wink:
David Lawrence

aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Thank you Jennifer, arup, and Lee Ann :thumbs:

Alondra, good reading, but you may have done a bit too much noise cleaning. Auphonic also does noise removal and if too much is done some distortion can creep in. Your file volume was too low at 81.8 dB, with a background noise level of 47 dB.
At the top of the the auphonic page there is a "Choose a Preset" box which you can set to Librivox, this will give you the proper levels, etc, be sure to check the Noise and Hum Reduction option near the bottom of the page. :wink: You may want to record a little something and try those settings.
I've cleaned up your file, please take a listen - https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/revelation_patmore_sec_128kb.mp3
David Lawrence

aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Here is my reading, could someone give it a listen please ?
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/revelation_patmore_dl_128kb.mp3
0:57
David Lawrence

MClavie

Post by MClavie »

Here we go... this is my first submission, so if there are any problems with the file please let me know.

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/revelation_patmore_mec_128kb.mp3

0:51

Name: Megan Clavie-Parker