COMPLETE: The Flowers of Evil by C. Baudelaire - choc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Phuein

Post by Phuein »

The Flowers of Evil by Charles Baudelaire (1821 - 1867). Translated by Cyril Scott (d.1970).

This project is complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
https://librivox.org/the-flowers-of-evil-by-charles-baudelaire/

Cyril Scott died in 1970. His work is still protected by copyright in places like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1954), and Canada (author's death plus 50 years).
This is a collection of French poems by Charles Baudelaire, originally titled "Les Fleurs du mal." It was popular in the symbolist and modernist movements of the 19th century, and the poems are about decadence and eroticism. ( Assaf Koss)
  • Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/36098
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    5. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    6. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      • At the beginning of the recording, read the abbreviated "LibriVox disclaimer":
      "[Poem title], by Charles Baudelaire. Translated by Cyril Scott. Read for LibriVox.org by [your name - optional]", adding date, location, your personal URL, etc., if you wish.
      • Then read the poem.
      • At the end, say: "End of poem. This recording is in the public domain." and leave five seconds of silence.
    7. At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Flowers of Evil by Charles Baudelaire. Translated by Cyril Scott.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    flowersofevil_##_baudelaire_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. flowersofevil_01_baudelaire_128kb.mp3)
  • ID3 V2 tags are not necessary.
    ID tags are set automatically by the LV cataloging software, which overwrites any tags added by readers, so they are not required.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.

• Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: chocoholic
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Phuein on June 9th, 2014, 7:10 am, edited 6 times in total.
I use an Audio Technica AT2035 Condenser Microphone, with a Focusrite iTrack Solo USB Audio Interface, and Audacity for editing.
Phuein

Post by Phuein »

This is my first time starting a new project. :D I appreciate any and all help, reviewing, and notes.
I use an Audio Technica AT2035 Condenser Microphone, with a Focusrite iTrack Solo USB Audio Interface, and Audacity for editing.
Shakira

Post by Shakira »

Brilliant, Phuein! Go you! :clap:

Good grief, I looked through those translations and there are 14 of them I'd like to claim! :shock: I guess my love for Baudelaire is showing... :roll:

Anyway, I'd love to read:
- Sonnet XXVIII
- Sonnet XLIII
- Evening Harmony
- Overcast Sky
- The Ghost
- Cats
- Music
- The Wine of Lovers

That should be quite enough for one round; I'll wait and see on the other 6 I'm coveting, since I have a few other projects on the go!

Happy to come back and update with section numbers when the MW's set up. :D
Shakira S. - Verbose, vivacious, versatile vocalist.
Pronouns: They/Them/Theirs
LV Reader Page

My health is utterly pants, but I'm getting things done.

https://soundcloud.com/shakira-s/
https://soundcloud.com/shakira-speaks/
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I would suggest using the shortened intro/outro that we typically use for weekly poetry or the short poetry collection, as well as other poetry projects:

• At the beginning of the recording, read the abbreviated "LibriVox disclaimer":
"[Poem title], by Charles Baudelaire. Translated by Cyril Scott, read for LibriVox.org by [your name - optional]", adding date, location, your personal URL, etc., if you wish.
• Then read the poem.
• At the end, say: "End of poem. This recording is in the public domain." and leave five seconds of silence.
[*]At the end of the book, say (in addition):
"End of The Flowers of Evil by Charles Baudelaire. Translated by Cyril Scott.[/list]
There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Here's the coding if you just want to copy it and replace the intro/outro info in the first post:

Code: Select all

• At the [i]beginning[/i] of the recording, read the abbreviated "LibriVox disclaimer":
[b]"[Poem title], by Charles Baudelaire. Translated by Cyril Scott, read for LibriVox.org by [your name - optional]"[/b], adding date, location, your personal URL, etc., if you wish.
• Then read the poem.
• At the end, say: [b]"End of poem.  This recording is in the public domain."[/b] and leave [b]five seconds[/b] of silence.
[*]At the end of the book, say (in addition):   
[i]"End of The Flowers of Evil by Charles Baudelaire. Translated by Cyril Scott.[/i][/list] 
[b][i]There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.[/b][/i]
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

Also Cyril Scott died in 1970, so you might want to note this is (sadly) not PD for any of the Life+ countries.
So little space, so much to say.
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Lucy_k_p wrote:Also Cyril Scott died in 1970, so you might want to note this is (sadly) not PD for any of the Life+ countries.
:(
That means I can't MC this for you (I was about to) since I usually download the files...
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
Phuein

Post by Phuein »

Thanks Tricia. I have made the edit. :thumbs:

I'm sorry that you won't be MCing this, necker. The wait for an MC continues.

Thanks Shakira. I was interested in quite a selection, myself, as well haha. I'm not sure how this goes, but if you'd like to read so many, it might be more fair to wait until the project is on the Reader's Wanted forum and we got a MW going. Or is this normal LV enthusiastic behavior? :D Anyhow, you'll be the first for marking, when an MC checks in!

I'll be more verbose...
- Sonnet XXVIII
- Sonnet XLIII
- Evening Harmony
- Overcast Sky
- The Ghost
- Cats
- Music
- The Wine of Lovers
... Are yours, so start recording. :)
Last edited by Phuein on June 5th, 2014, 4:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Someone will come - it always takes longer when it is only PD in the USA.

Anne
Phuein

Post by Phuein »

By the way, shouldn't the filename end with _128kbps? The default template doesn't add it, but I don't know if it's valid for this case, too.

And in the ID3 tags, shouldn't there be a line, saying that it's optional to add "Read by NAME." in the Comments tag?
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Hi

I'm also banned from contributing, but I wanted to note that I'm a huge fan of Cyril Scott (translator) - his name leapt out at me. I've been struggling with his hefty 1st Piano Sonata for years. What an incredibly talented British eccentric and polymath. He shared his seaside home with an Indian swami for some years, so I tend to think of him as a character from the Lucia novels of E.F. Benson.

Here he is playing one of his languid classics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7dAhrr7Vlk

And his memory will live on: http://www.cyrilscott.net/index.html

Best wishes
Martin
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

By the way, shouldn't the filename end with _128kbps? The default template doesn't add it, but I don't know if it's valid for this case, too.
Yes, except it's just _128kb. :) The template doesn't automatically add that, and we ran out of development money to get the developer to do it. It's high on our priority list when we have access to it ourselves. :)
Shakira

Post by Shakira »

Phuein wrote:Thanks Shakira. I was interested in quite a selection, myself, as well haha. I'm not sure how this goes, but if you'd like to read so many, it might be more fair to wait until the project is on the Reader's Wanted forum and we got a MW going. Or is this normal LV enthusiastic behavior? :D Anyhow, you'll be the first for marking, when an MC checks in!
Thanks, Phuein! I've not yet been here three months, so I don't know all the protocols. However, I've certainly seen claims made in the LaunchPad, and been encouraged to submit them before a project got moved out of this section. :wink:

I figure that knowing there are enthusiastic readers is helpful, in its own small way, in getting a project off the ground? :lol:
Shakira S. - Verbose, vivacious, versatile vocalist.
Pronouns: They/Them/Theirs
LV Reader Page

My health is utterly pants, but I'm getting things done.

https://soundcloud.com/shakira-s/
https://soundcloud.com/shakira-speaks/
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Some BC's don't mind it, while others prefer to wait for the MW before readers start claiming. So it goes both ways. :)

And yeah, I'm holding off on MCing this one due to the copyright issue. However, if no one picks this up by Saturday, I'll stuff down that objection and MC it for you. So you'll have a MW by Saturday afternoon at the latest, whichever MC picks this up. :)
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

I'll MC this, Phuein. Back shortly with your MW.
Laurie Anne
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

OK, you're all set! I'll send you a PM with the instructions on how to log into the Workflow and manage the Magic Window. I've amended the top post to add the _128kb to the file name and clean up the template a bit. ID tags aren't required at all. The cataloging software automatically overwrites anything readers have entered as tags, so I usually delete that whole section of instructions in my own projects. For now I've added a note that they are optional.

Let me know if you have any questions! I'll move this over to the Short Works forum tomorrow. In the meantime, it's fine to start entering reader claims!
Laurie Anne