[COMPLETE] The Intoxicated Ghost by Bates - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ppcunningham

Post by ppcunningham »

The Intoxicated Ghost And Other Stories by Arlo Bates (1850 - 1918).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
https://librivox.org/the-intoxicated-ghost-and-other-stories-by-arlo-bates/

A charming collection of short stories, dealing with ghosts, magic, and other-worldly events that even the faint of heart will enjoy.

1. The Intoxicated Ghost - a woman tries to outsmart a ghost to save the family from financial ruin.
2. A Problem In Portraiture - can a man's portrait influence the man he becomes?
3. Knitters In The Sun - will a father's curse keep two lovers apart?
4. A Comedy In Crape - the death of the town playboy causes a dispute over who is entitled to be chief mourner
5. A Meeting Of The Psychical Club - who is the hooded stranger, and are his powers real?
6. Tim Calligan's Grave-Money - a poor man's final sacrifice
7. Miss Gaylord and Jenny - who will ultimately be George's bride, Alice or her alter-ego?
8. Dr. Polnitzski - a man in a no-win situation and his resolution
9. In The Virginia Room - a Southern woman visits a Confederate War Museum on the anniversary of her husband's death and meets a Northerner. Can she forgive?

( ppcunningham)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/40312
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of The Intoxicated Ghost And Other Stories. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Intoxicated Ghost And Other Stories, by Arlo Bates. [Story title] [Chapter, if applicable]"
      For example:
      "The Intoxicated Ghost And Other Stories, by Arlo Bates. A Problem In Portraiture, Chapter 1"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Intoxicated Ghost And Other Stories, by Arlo Bates. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    intoxicatedghost_#_bates_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where # is the section number (e.g. intoxicatedghost_1_bates_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: availle - Availle
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below
Last edited by ppcunningham on June 4th, 2014, 7:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The trouble with life isn't that there is no answer, it's that there are so many answers. Ruth Benedict

Non curo. Si metrum non habet, non est poema

My Page
ppcunningham

Post by ppcunningham »

This is a revival of a long abandoned solo that has a MW set up, but no files were ever recorded.

I'm re opening it as a group project.

Patti
The trouble with life isn't that there is no answer, it's that there are so many answers. Ruth Benedict

My Page
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

How cute - I'll take it on! Give me a moment to find the old MW...

Okay, MW is in place. For your information, here's the summary from the old reader, but it seems to be about the first story only?
Irene has discovered through her mothers side the of the family that she can see ghosts. She is visited by an school friend who needs Irene's help. Irene is trying to be as "normal" as possible, yet is able to help others. (Summary by Christina Webb)
We don't need id3 tags for this type of project anymore, so I've deleted this info. Everything else looks good!
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
ppcunningham

Post by ppcunningham »

Availle wrote: ....here's the summary from the old reader, but it seems to be about the first story only?
Yes, the reader was new and I think she didn't realize what she was taking on, and thought it was just the one story, not a whole book.

The stories are lengthy, but fairly easy reads.

Lots of good stories!

Patti

My Page
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Looks like fun! Are you looking for a DPL?
Arlene
---------------------------------------------
Every day is a new adventure!
ppcunningham

Post by ppcunningham »

Of course!

All yours, if you want it.

Since the sections all have high word counts, this one could take a while -

Patti

My Page
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Arlene entered as DPL - thank you!

Yes, the stories are very long. Actually, the old project had 35 sections, one for each subsection of every story, I presume.

Good luck with this one, in any case!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
ppcunningham

Post by ppcunningham »

I've updated the first post to include descriptions of each story.

I would like one reader to commit to each story.
I've updated the MW to indicate that each story can be broken up into multiple sections, at the reader's option, for readers (like myself) who are more comfortable recording several smaller sections rather than one gigantic one.

Patti

My Page
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

ppcunningham wrote: I've updated the MW to indicate that each story can be broken up into multiple sections, at the reader's option, for readers (like myself) who are more comfortable recording several smaller sections rather than one gigantic one.
I don't think it's a good idea to do that retrospectively, because we will run into problems with filenames (for example, I read story 4 in its entirety, upload it and everything's fixed, and then somebody comes along and needs 6 sections for the second story...) and possibly the intro/outro (section xx of...) If you want to break up sections, you should that before you have any readers committed.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Hepburn2015

Post by Hepburn2015 »

Hello everyone!

I would love to read sections 3,4, 8 and 9 in their entirety.

I will upload them all by a week from Wednesday, if that is alright.

Have a lovely day!

All the best,

Saskia
ppcunningham

Post by ppcunningham »

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but as you appear to be brand new here, we need to take this one step at a time.

First you must submit a one-minute test, so that we can check your recording specifications.
The instructions can be found here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test

After that, I suggest you try recording a small project, like a poem or short section of 1,000 words or less, so you can see if this is really something you enjoy and want to pursue.
Most people don't realize that recording and editing are very time consuming. It can take several hours for each finished hour.

When you have done this, then come back, and we can take it one chapter at a time.

Patti

My Page
2peltons

Post by 2peltons »

May I claim sections 5 and 6?

Thanks,
Mike
ppcunningham

Post by ppcunningham »

Certainly, Mike.

Would you like to break each story into sections, or keep them as one section each?

My Page
2peltons

Post by 2peltons »

Section 05 has been uploaded with a time of 31:51.
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/intoxicatedghost_05_bates_128kb.mp3

Mike
ppcunningham

Post by ppcunningham »

Great, Mike - thanks!

Patti

My Page