COMPLETE Highacres by Jane Abbott-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Trotsa

Post by Trotsa »

Highacres by Jane Abbot ( - 0).
The story of a young mountain girl and her first year of city living and going to a high school. She knows nothing of town life, but she had dreams and longs to learn more and discover what the world is like outside of her mountain home. Go with her to the Westley's home, where she finds everyone kind, except the Wesley's oldest daughter, Isobel, who is proud and snubs her. With determination, and courage she enjoys her first year, and longs to continue at Highacres. ( Trotsa)
This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/highacres-by-jane-d-abbott/

• Casting for this project is Gender Correct!

MC: MaryannSpiegel
    BC: ShiNeko
    DPL parts: Peppersnoodles93
    DPL completed chapters: Peppersnoodles93
    Editors: Shineko, Peppersnoodles93, hdave
    Narrator: hdave

A big Thank you to everyone who took over this project since I had to leave!
    1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (do not read from this text): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/29865 Read from the PDF's linked in the MW!
    5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording
      in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
      • Project Code: rucosEQS
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Jane Abbot) : n/a
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 55
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      • Original publication date (if known): 1920

============================================

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/School; Children's Fiction/Action & Adventure
      Keywords that describe the book: school, girls

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430
      Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Between your lines please leave a space of a few seconds, to make it easier for the editors!

Submit one file per chapter.
    7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading the narration, please include for each file:At the beginning: Chapter [#] of Highacres , by Jane Abbot . This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Chapter [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Save files as 128 kbps MP3
      highacres_[role]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the chapter number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    9. Any questions?
      Please post below
[/list]
Last edited by Trotsa on May 28th, 2014, 1:38 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Trotsa

[/size]I am an imperfect person loved by a PERFECT God.
Trotsa

Post by Trotsa »

Hi everyone! I am excited to be launching my first dramatic reading of a book. :D Below is a list of the characters. All together we have 26 characters and 29 chapters. The numbers show in which chapter(s) the character appears.

Casting for this project is Gender Correct!

Young People, school students

Jerry Travis ( : 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25, 27, 28, 29)
Gyp Westley (4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 22, 23, 24, 25 26, 27, 29)
Isobel Westley (4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25, 26, 27 29)
Graham Westley (4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 14, 19, 20, 21, 24, 26 )
Tibby Westley ( 4, 6, 9, 20, 26)
Dana King (7, 12, 13, 21, 25)
Ginny (Virginia) Cox (7, 8, 13, 16, 17 , 25)
Pat (Patricia) Everett (8, 9, 10 , 13, 14, 15, 16, 23, 25)
Peggy Lee (8, 9, 10 , 13, 14, 15, 16, 23, 25)
Amy Mathers (21)
Girl (8, 9 , 10, 14, 16, 21, 25)
Boy (13)

Older people, parents and teachers
Uncle Johnny/John Westley (1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 14, 17, 19, 20, 22, 24, 25, 26, 27)
Mrs. Westley (4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 19, 20, 21, 24, 26)
Mrs. Travis (2, 5, 12, 27, 28)
Barbara Lee (8, 14, 17, 19, 25, 26)
Aunt Maria (11) speaks a little French
Mrs. Penelope Allan (3)
Uncle Peter (7, 19)
Mrs. Allan (12)
Miss Gray (15, 23)
Dr. Canton (17)
George (23)
Mr. Stratman (23)
Doctor [a man] (21, 22)
Man (13)

Editors: Trotsa and ShiNeko
DPL: Trotsa

I am planning to PL the parts and also the completed chapters that ShiNeko edits. The chapters I edit she is willing PL. :D
Let me know if there is anything that needs changed. I have the text prepared and uploaded as PDFs at Ge.tt. I hope that is OK, as Google docs did not work out for me, though I tried different times. As this is my first time to BC a project like this, I realize there will probably be mistakes. Please let me know and I'll try to fix anything that is wrong! Thanks to everyone who signed up before hand!
Last edited by Trotsa on December 27th, 2014, 1:45 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Trotsa

TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

It is good to see Highacres in the launch pad. I am looking forward to reading for Uncle Johnny/John Westley. I read a little of the text and am looking forward to the forthcoming pdf's which I guess will be formatted more like a script. Here is wishing us all good luck :thumbs:
If you create and your creation is destroyed, create anyway. (paraphrasing Mother Teresa) . . Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Hi there! I'll claim Patricia Everett please.

(Also, it doesn't make any difference to me, but you might like to mention in the first post if you are looking for gender-correct or gender-neutral casting. Someone usually asks!)
Trotsa

Post by Trotsa »

Thanks both of you! I'll put you in the first post for Patricia Everett, Elizabby! And thanks for the tip, I'll do that too. :D
Trotsa

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Trotsa wrote:Thanks both of you! I'll put you in the first post for Patricia Everett, Elizabby! And thanks for the tip, I'll do that too. :D
In that case you might need to specify if your 2nd last character "doctor" is male/female or either would be acceptable.
Trotsa

Post by Trotsa »

Thanks again Elizabby, I did that. It's nice to have a teacher as one of the readers, very helpful!!! :D
Trotsa

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Trotsa,
I can MC this for you.

We are taking a new approach to MWs for DWs. Each part gets a section - so for the Narrator, there will be 29 sections rather than one. Each completed chapter also gets a section. As individual sections are completed and marked PL OK, they are dragged down the MW to appear under the chapter that they relate to. This means when it comes time to edit, all the sections for that chapter are grouped together. It also means that as the parts get completed, then are dropped lower in the MW, making it easier for people to see what is still open to be claimed, and what claims still need to be read or corrected.

With this "new math", please tell me how many sections you need.

MaryAnn
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

Yea :!: MaryAnnSpiegel as MC :thumbs: :9:
If you create and your creation is destroyed, create anyway. (paraphrasing Mother Teresa) . . Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
Trotsa

Post by Trotsa »

Thanks so much Maryann! Exciting to work with you again... :9: I'll get the amount of sections to you once I figure it out, it will take some time and math, but I'll get there as soon as I can, maybe not till tomorrow. It sounds like a good way to go! :D
Trotsa

LydiaCW

Post by LydiaCW »

When will the PDFs appear?
Lydia

Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomine tuo da glorium!
Trotsa

Post by Trotsa »

They'll appear when the MW gets set up, but if you'd like to start recording or just check them out, the link for all of them is here: http://ge.tt/74DlRSh1
Let me know if you see any mistakes!
Trotsa

TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

Greetings Oh Determined One :wink:

I just glanced at the pdf for the 1st chapter and is this how it will go :?:

:idea: I will record my parts, each line/s separated by a space or a particular sound, and someone (who :?: ) will take my mp3 and copy the line/s and paste into a combined dialogue track :?:

:idea: Also, as this is kind of a dramatic reading, should I try and get some emotion into my voice as I record the lines :?:

Dang Trotsa, I am looking forward to this :D
Trotsa

Post by Trotsa »

You've got it pretty straight! You will record your lines omitting of course saying John Westley or Uncle Johnny (sorry, I did both John Westley in the first chapters, then changed it to Uncle Johnny later on, let me know if this makes it inconvenient for you) and leave a space between the lines of a few seconds to make it easier for editor.
ShiNeko and I are the editors, and we will do the copy, pasting, and all that to put all the parts into a completed chapter.

As for putting emotion in your voice, if you usually read in a flat monotone, please, yes!!! :D But regular expression is fine, though I really enjoy dramatics where the character laughs and sighs or whatever, when it says that they do... :D though that is totally not a rule and up to the individual! So, as you like, basically! The best reads are often by people who actually pretend they are the person they are reading for, and get the 'feeling' in their voices, my opinion!!!

Have fun! I am very excited to have this project going too! :9:
Trotsa

LydiaCW

Post by LydiaCW »

Here's Gyp for chapter 4. I found one mistake. There was a line that it didn't say whose it was, but I think it was Gyp's. I read it anyways. This recording is 2:54. Thanks!

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/highacres_gyp_04.mp3
Lydia

Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomine tuo da glorium!