[Complete] R.U.R (Rossum’s Universal Robots) K Čapek -dlol

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

So, you are now trying to BC and edit two plays at once. Here is something I do to simplify assembling a play. I prepare a file of cue labels for Audacity that tells me where everything goes in the master file for each act. I do this by downloading the script (*), creating labels with character names and the first few words of each line, and then importing them into a blank Audacity file at a convenient spacing (that gets adjusted by later editing).

Now, rather than having to wait for all the parts and narration to come in and juggling 20 open files at one time to create the play, as each part arrives I PL it and put it where it belongs. Then when all the parts are in, just do a final grooming to adjust the spacings to get a smooth flow and you are all done.

You can see an example of this process at https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_TQp1hwvQQpbm82N1ZkVWJTRGs/edit?usp=sharing

As another example, I used the Gutenberg script for the Children's Classic to provide a label file to the first 4 little plays there. From the Gutenberg script copy to excel; massage to add in the disclaimer location and the "narrated by" lines, add the numbers columns that tell where the labels go in seconds from start; copy the result to notepad, save as UTF-8 format. I tested that it worked in Audacity as I am about to tell you how:

I uploaded the text file at https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/Labels_for_Children_Classic.txt

Download the text file
Open Audacity
Go to Import
Select Labels
Import the label file.

Then Add a blank Audio Track in the same file along with the labels and you can start cutting in reader parts with the labels telling you where each part goes.

One possible complication - you want the labels and audio synchronized together. That way as you cut in reader audio that is larger or smaller than the 10 second spacing I set up, all the labels will expand and contract to fit. On my Audacity that is the default, and you will see a little clock face in the naming info for the two tracks over at the left. There is a little clock face icon command you can press to turn syncro on or off.

By doing this I have a play that is essentially done when the last part arrives.

I'll be glad to answer questions....

Thanks, Todd

(* You may have a problem in that your plays may not have a clean script file since they are not from Gutenberg. But, bad as the OCR's text file versions are in archive.org, etc, they still can usually be used for this. You just have to edit out a buncha junk after putting the script into excel as you create the label file as described above.)
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

Sounds like a good plan. I will look at it when I'm able to get on my computer.
Hello! Newly graduated and occasional Librivox contributor.
abendlied

Post by abendlied »

Oooh! I love science fiction! Can I read for Helena Glory and Robot Helena?

Best,
Sarah
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

abendlied wrote:Oooh! I love science fiction! Can I read for Helena Glory and Robot Helena?

Best,
Sarah
Go ahead. :)

Also- I am combining some of the other smaller roles. Updating MW and cast list.
cmbyrne

Post by cmbyrne »

Hi,

If this is still going ahead - how do you feel about a female narrator? If you are ok with that- may I volunteer?

Thanks!
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

cmbyrne wrote:Hi,

If this is still going ahead - how do you feel about a female narrator? If you are ok with that- may I volunteer?

Thanks!
You're signed up. :) Have fun! Please read for the entire play, and put the preface in a separate file that Act I. So, 5 files in all.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

If you are doing gender neutral, can I claim Mr Alquist?

Interesting play! I hadn't read it before - makes quite a contrast to Asimov's robot stories! :shock:
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

Sure! I'll sign you up.
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

Elizabby wrote:If you are doing gender neutral, can I claim Mr Alquist?

Interesting play! I hadn't read it before - makes quite a contrast to Asimov's robot stories! :shock:
MW updated! Have fun!
cmbyrne

Post by cmbyrne »

Hi,

I have some questions about reading the "narrator" part.
Is this role reading the stage directions and if so should I read everything in brackets (even such things as " spelling out the words" - that one is a direction for hoe Nana will read those lines so seems superfluous). Sorry, I should have asked these things before signing up maybe.
Should I read out the character list on the first page of the play?

etel13

Post by etel13 »

Hi,

Could I claim the robot servant-section 38?
Thanks
Etel
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

etel13 wrote:Hi,

Could I claim the robot servant-section 38?
Thanks
Etel
Okay, I'll sign you up. :)
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

cmbyrne wrote:Hi,

I have some questions about reading the "narrator" part.
Is this role reading the stage directions and if so should I read everything in brackets (even such things as " spelling out the words" - that one is a direction for hoe Nana will read those lines so seems superfluous). Sorry, I should have asked these things before signing up maybe.
Should I read out the character list on the first page of the play?

Oh! Sorry for not being clearer.

Please read the entire preface as a file. Read the whole, This is a librivox recording thing at the beginning if the file, then read the quote, then the entire cast list. Record all stage lines in separate files per act. Read the stage directions as printed (i.e NANA enters right) and if it is a stage direction in the middle of a line ("fastens dress" or "throws paper") refer to the speaker and say "HELENA throws paper." If there is more than one stage direction a line in such a manner, only say the name of the speaker in the first, read the rest as printed. If it is something like "angrily," say "NANA, angrily" and keep it as that.

I hope that clears it up! I am bad at explaining.
etel13

Post by etel13 »

Here is the Servant robot - section 38.

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/rur_servant_38.mp3
00:23

Etel
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

etel13 wrote:Here is the Servant robot - section 38.

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/rur_servant_38.mp3
00:23

Etel
Thanks! MW updated.