(Complete) [DRAM.READ] Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen -m8b1

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
musicalheart1

Post by musicalheart1 »

Northanger Abbey (Dramatic Reading) by Jane Austen (1775 - 1817).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/northanger-abbey-dramatic-reading-by-jane-austen/

Northanger Abbey follows seventeen-year-old Gothic novel aficionado Catherine Morland and family friends Mr. and Mrs. Allen as they visit Bath. It is Catherine's first visit there. She meets new friends, such as Isabella Thorpe, and goes to balls. Catherine finds herself pursued by Isabella's brother, the rough-mannered, slovenly John Thorpe, and by her real love interest, Henry Tilney. She also becomes friends with Eleanor Tilney, Henry's younger sister. Henry captivates her with his view on novels and his knowledge of history and the world. General Tilney (Henry and Eleanor's father) invites Catherine to visit their estate, Northanger Abbey, which, from her reading of Ann Radcliffe's Gothic novel The Mysteries of Udolpho, she expects to be dark, ancient and full of Gothic horrors and fantastical mystery. (Wikipedia)
    1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? PLEASE ONLY READ FROM THE GOOGLE DOCS IN THE MAGIC WINDOW!
      Source text: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/121
    5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per chapter.
    7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      [Role], read by [your name].
      Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Save files as 128 kbps MP3
      northangerabbey_[role]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the chapter number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: m8b1
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
[/list]
Last edited by musicalheart1 on July 13th, 2014, 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
musicalheart1

Post by musicalheart1 »

Hi all!

Well, here it is: the only one of Jane Austen’s major novels that has yet to be made into a dramatic reading! One of the earliest novels Austen wrote, but not published until after her death, Northanger is fantastic as both a novel of courtship (Austen’s forte) and a satire of gothic novels.

A few notes about the project:
*Please make sure to only read from the GoogleDocs.

*I’m asking for word-perfect readings of the text (which is the norm for the projects I BC), and if you are capable of using a British accent, please do so! This is by no means a requirement- readers are welcome regardless- I just find that it really adds to listening to an author like Austen when the words are spoken as initially intended :)
  • A handful of roles have been pre-cast:
  • JoFriday21 will play Eleanor Tilney.
  • Vandermast is Henry Tilney.
  • Elizabby has signed on as Isabella Thorpe AND project DPL.
  • and WoollyBee will be our Catherine Morland.
Questions? Feel free to ask! :thumbs:
Last edited by musicalheart1 on May 8th, 2014, 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

DPL reporting for duty!
musicalheart1

Post by musicalheart1 »

Elizabby wrote:DPL reporting for duty!
:clap:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Have you checked out this ? I see you have no narrator .
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=44647

Anne
VanOs12

Post by VanOs12 »

Hello :)
I was wondering if I could read the narrator?

Thanks,
Arie
Cheers
JoFriday21

Post by JoFriday21 »

Reporting for duty! :)
WoollyBee

Post by WoollyBee »

Reporting for duty . . . :)
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

I'll MC for you. Be back in a minute with the MW!

Edit ~ all set. Have fun!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
Vandermast

Post by Vandermast »

Henry is in da house! :D
musicalheart1

Post by musicalheart1 »

m8b1 wrote:I'll MC for you. Be back in a minute with the MW!

Edit ~ all set. Have fun!
Awesome- thank you! :thumbs:
musicalheart1

Post by musicalheart1 »

JoFriday21 wrote:Reporting for duty! :)
WoollyBee wrote:Reporting for duty . . . :)
Vandermast wrote:Henry is in da house! :D
Woohoo! Hi all :D
musicalheart1

Post by musicalheart1 »

VanOs12 wrote:Hello :)
I was wondering if I could read the narrator?

Thanks,
Arie
That would be fantastic- thank you!

MW updated!
musicalheart1

Post by musicalheart1 »

MW is all set up now with character names and links to the GoogleDocs!
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

May I claim the part of Mrs. Morland please?
~Tiffany