COMPLETE: California Coast Trails by J. Smeaton Chase - choc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Adrian

Post by Adrian » May 5th, 2014, 8:16 pm

California Coast Trails by Joseph Smeaton Chase (1846 - 1923).

This project is complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/california-coast-trails-by-joseph-smeaton-chase/
In 1911, decades before California's coast Highway 1 was built, an Englishman rode 2000 miles on horseback the length of California, from Mexico to Oregon. On the way he is courteously received at isolated ranches, has many quiet adventures, and is generally amazed by the beauty of our coast. A classic early California travelog. Chase was born in Islington (London) and but lived most of this life in the California desert.

Here are Chase's major landmarks, first going south and then turning north:

Chap. 1 El Monte to Laguna Beach. Chap. 2 Aliso Canyon to San Juan Capistrano. Chap. 3 San Juan hot springs (east of Mission Viejo) to Oceanside. Chap 4. Del Mar to San Diego. Chap. 5 San Fernando Valley to Malibu. Chap. 6 Boney Mountain (in the Santa Monica Mtns.) to Ventura. Chap. 7 Carpenteria to Santa Barbara. Chap 8. Refugio Pass (south of Solvang) to Lompoc. Chap. 9 Solvang to Las Cruces (south of Solvang). Chap. 10 Point Conception back to Lompoc. Chap. 11 Casmalia to Avila (on SLO Bay). Chap. 12 San Luis Obispo to Morro Bay. Chap. 13 to Jolon and Mission San Antonio de Padua (SE of Ft. Hunter Liggett). Chap. 14 to Pacific Valley (south of Limekiln State Park). Chap. 15 Limekiln, Lucia, to about Lopez Point. Chap. 16 Big Sur, Point Sur Lighthouse to Monterey. Chap. 17 Seaside through the Santa Cruz Mtns. to Pescadero (San Mateo Co.). Chap. 18 Half Moon Bay, San Francisco, to Drakes Bay. Chap. 19 Tomales Bay to Gualala. Chap. 20 Navarro to Westport. Chap. 21 King Range and the Mattole Valley to Eureka. Chap. 22 Arcata to the Klamath.

(Summary by Adrian Praetzellis)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/californiacoastt00chasuoft
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Nature; *Non-fiction/Travel & Geography; *Non-fiction/Biography & Autobiography/Memoirs

Keywords that describe the book: California history, travelog, California coast
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of California Coast Trails. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "California Coast Trails, by Joseph Smeaton Chase. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of California Coast Trails by Joseph Smeaton Chase. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of California Coast Trails, by Joseph Smeaton Chase. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename californiacoasttrails_##_chase_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. californiacoasttrails_01_chase_128kb.mp3)
  • [ID TAGS NOT REQUIRED]
    Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Joseph Smeaton Chase
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: California Coast Trails

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: chocoholic
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Any questions?
    Please post below.
I especially like this one because it's entirely free of the racial/ethnic epithets and other nastiness that one often encounters in writing of this era. In fact the author is frequently overwhelmed by the generosity of Californians of all origins. A very life-afirming piece.

I think this is solo #22 for me :D Woo hoo!

Adrian
Last edited by Adrian on March 29th, 2015, 2:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » May 5th, 2014, 8:25 pm

Hi, Adrian, I'll MC number 22 (!) for you. And I am totally going to use your summary on the catalog page. 'Cause it's, like, totally rad.
Laurie Anne

Adrian

Post by Adrian » May 5th, 2014, 8:47 pm

Like, you da bomb mon!

I read a scanned copy on my Kindle last year and then bought a nice 1913 edition with the illustrations intact from a local used book shop. I'm from the same part of UK as the author so the accent will be pretty much right.

Adrian

HughGil

Post by HughGil » May 6th, 2014, 4:22 pm

Yo Adrian,

It would it be totally bitchen if you would let a California boy PL this for you.

Hugh
"the story seems to take forever to go anywhere - and I know where it is going." - m8b1 2012

Adrian

Post by Adrian » May 6th, 2014, 4:42 pm

It would it be totally bitchen if you would let a California boy PL this for you.
Dude, that's huge! I'm amped and ready to hit the surf.

Adrian

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » May 6th, 2014, 5:23 pm

OK, dudes, y'all are all set and moved over to Solos. Adrian and Hugh's excellent adventure!
Laurie Anne

HughGil

Post by HughGil » May 6th, 2014, 5:42 pm

Knarly :thumbs:
"the story seems to take forever to go anywhere - and I know where it is going." - m8b1 2012

Adrian

Post by Adrian » May 20th, 2014, 3:33 pm

Preface and Chapter 1

37:43

https://librivox.org/uploads/chocoholic/californiacoasttrails_01_chase_128kb.mp3

Adrian

PS In the spirit of the author's journey, this file was edited at an undisclosed location somewhere between Big Sur and San Simeon... :D

HughGil

Post by HughGil » May 20th, 2014, 7:07 pm

Hi Adrian,

There were a few problems with this section. The sound kept cutting out. I downloaded the file twice just to make sure my computer was not the problem, but the gaps were present in both files. I stopped PLing after 11 minutes, thinking that maybe the file became corrupt during the upload. For chapter 1, I just listed the times where the sound cut out, stopping at the 11 minute mark.

Hugh

During the intro, the sound cut out @ ~0:06 thru 0:17

Preface: 1:11 thru 1:18
With that event there will open for California an era of development as striking as that which followed upon the great awakening in the middle of the last century.

1:58 thru 2:08
The matters of principal concern to him in making his trip were not, it is true, the practical ones of commerce and its prospects and possibilities.

2:28 thru 2:37
If apology be needed for any dearth of what may be called practical information in the volume, he feels that the lack has been, is being, and increasingly will be...

2:46 thru 3:04 and 2:58 thru 3:04
In describing the features of the scenery no attempt has been made to paint in high colors. In-deed, on a re-reading of the manuscript the impression is that, in the desire to avoid the flamboyant at all hazards, the balance may have been weighted a trifle on the conservative side.

3:45 thru 3:51
...and a history tinged first with the half-pathetic romance of Spain and then by the brief but lurid Epic of Gold, is by much the most beautiful, interesting, and attractive of all the States of the Union

5:14 thru 5:21
These words are numerous, but they are unavoidable in the nature of
the case,
since most of the place-names throughout...

Chapter 1

6:26 thru 6:32
6:44 thru 6:55
7:02 thru 7:07
9:13 thru 9:19
9:29 thru 9:36
10:07 thru 10:12
10:30 thru 10:35
10:47 thru 11:00

Adrian

Post by Adrian » May 21st, 2014, 8:14 am

Thanks Hugh.

Turns out that something in the project data files is irretrievably corrupt so I'll have to rerecord it. Very depressing as this is a long chapter.

I'll be back...

Adrian

Adrian

Post by Adrian » May 24th, 2014, 3:14 pm

One more time...

I'm pretty sure that the problem was due to moving the data files between computers running different versions of Audacity.

Chapter 1

37:07

https://librivox.org/uploads/chocoholic/californiacoasttrails_01_chase_128kb.mp3

Adrian

HughGil

Post by HughGil » May 26th, 2014, 6:52 pm

Hi Adrian,

Sorry for the delay. It was a busy 3 day weekend for me.

@~6:15 This is at the intro to the chapter. Camp on the San Joaquin - Coyotes and sulphureous coffee - Laguna Canon - Warfare of sun and fog...

Omitted Laguna Canon

@ ~20:11 - top of page 8. End of sentence omitted.

The senora herself, a sweet-faced old dame with quiet, kindly eyes, sat gazing out with placid enjoyment
over the river while we talked; the daughters, both mature women, stood by, listening, but speaking
little.

Hugh

Adrian

Post by Adrian » May 27th, 2014, 3:36 pm

HughGil

Post by HughGil » May 27th, 2014, 3:50 pm

You are welcome, Adrian

Chapter 1 is okay.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » June 7th, 2014, 2:51 pm