COMPLETE [DRAM.READ] His Last Bow (Sherlock Holmes) - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
skythrock

Post by skythrock » April 26th, 2014, 5:53 pm

I suppose I should read the part of the American, Leverton. That'll be easier than trying any crazy accents like last time. :-P

-- Levi

kcotter13

Post by kcotter13 » April 26th, 2014, 7:06 pm

Hi,

Looks like a great project! I'd like to read the parts of Mary and Mrs. Peters. Is it a problem that I have an American accent?
This will be my first recording project for LibriVox. I'd like to be credited as K. Cotter.

Thanks,

KC

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » April 26th, 2014, 10:10 pm

skythrock wrote:I suppose I should read the part of the American, Leverton. That'll be easier than trying any crazy accents like last time. :-P

-- Levi
You've got Leverton- but don't feel you have to stop there! Please read more (if you think you can fit it in along with your other commitments, of course!)

I first listened to yourvoice reading for the previous Sherlock Holmes book, and I thought you were a Brit! I was so surprised when you read the Evangelist for the Pilgrim's Progress with that broad American accent - I nearly fell off my chair!

Sure you don't want to play a London bobby for us? I think Inspector Morton looks like fun, and all the characters from the "Devil's Foot" are very interesting - most of them turn out to be baddies in one way or another!

Norman

Post by Norman » April 26th, 2014, 10:13 pm

If you can deal with an American accent

I would like to try
Doctor in Chapt 3
Inspector Morton in Chapt 8 and
Dr. Sterndale in Chapters 10 and 11

Note that in Chapt 3, i believe the last highlighted sentence of the Doctor's part is narration by Watson rather than the Doctor:

DOCTOR: "She has been suffering since yesterday from brain symptoms of great severity. As her medical adviser, I cannot possibly take the responsibility of allowing anyone to see her. I should recommend you to call again in ten days." He drew on his gloves, closed the door, and marched off down the street.
Norman

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » April 26th, 2014, 10:20 pm

kcotter13 wrote:Hi,

Looks like a great project! I'd like to read the parts of Mary and Mrs. Peters. Is it a problem that I have an American accent?
This will be my first recording project for LibriVox. I'd like to be credited as K. Cotter.

Thanks,

KC
Hello and Welcome! :mrgreen: We'd love to have you read those two parts - I'll put your claim in the MW now. :thumbs: I can also link a blog or website to your profile when I create it, if you like? (Remember that when you read your voice credit you use your catalogue name, so it will sound like "Mary Browner read by Kay Cotter" - is that what you want?)

Accent is never an issue here - I only note the characters who have particular accents as mentioned in the text. Watson is a Brit, Holmes is Aussie so we're already a mixed bunch! ;)

Before you actually record though, you will need to submit a 1-minute test, to make sure your formatting and sound processing stuff is all compatible with ours - it would be awful to record a whole a part and then for us not to be able to use it for a technical reason! :shock:

Here's the info you need:

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test

Please don't post your 1-minute test here - I'm not technical enough to check it for you! But after your 1-minute test has been checked and approved you can go ahead and record your parts and post the link here for me to proof listen (PL) your recordings!

All the information you need about recording and uploading is in the first post for this project, but if you need help just post here and someone will give you a hand! (I'm in Australia, so I find that I'm usually offline when all the interesting stuff is going on, so apologies in advance if I don't get back to you immediately - I'll catch up while all of you are asleep!)

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » April 26th, 2014, 10:25 pm

Norman wrote:If you can deal with an American accent

I would like to try
Doctor in Chapt 3
Inspector Morton in Chapt 8 and
Dr. Sterndale in Chapters 10 and 11

Note that in Chapt 3, i believe the last highlighted sentence of the Doctor's part is narration by Watson rather than the Doctor:

DOCTOR: "She has been suffering since yesterday from brain symptoms of great severity. As her medical adviser, I cannot possibly take the responsibility of allowing anyone to see her. I should recommend you to call again in ten days." He drew on his gloves, closed the door, and marched off down the street.
Whoops! Thanks for noticing that! :oops:

Accent is never an issue here - I only note the characters who have particular accents as mentioned in the text. Watson is a Brit, Holmes is Aussie so we're already a mixed bunch! ;)

I've put your claims in the MW - record when ready! :thumbs:

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » April 26th, 2014, 10:52 pm

azureblue wrote:Hello ,
here's my Eccles reading for His Last Bow - hope its ok :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/hislastbow_01_jonscotteccles_role.mp3
Lovely clear reading, and I love your voice! Very dramatic!

However there are just a few notes:

@ 00:51 there is a line missing “What do you mean?”
@ 03:00 there is quite a long pause in the middle of a speech, if you could close that up while you are editing the file that would help our editor. (1 second is a general guide for a pause in the middle of a speech, 2-4 seconds gap where other characters have lines to be cut in.)
@ 04:11 another pause (I realize that the written text has a paragraph here, but that is only for ease of reading. When listening it sounds odd to have long gaps in the middle of a single character talking.)
@ 05:21 it sounds rather like "gnawed his navels" when the word needs to be nails!
@ 05:48 pause

There is also a line missing at the end: “But that is perfectly impossible, Mr. Baynes,” cried our client. “His voice is unmistakable. I could swear to it that it was he who addressed me in my bedroom at that very hour.”

(Please be sure to leave 2-4 seconds for the narrator's comment to be cut in - it is much easier to remove excess space than it is to slice between sentences which are very close together!)

Just make the changes to your original file, re-export it with the same name, reupload and post here to let me know and I'll spot check the new file.

Thanks!

EDIT: Did you do a voice credit at the start? I forgot to check, but if you didn't you need to say "John Scott Eccles read by Nick" (or whatever you catalogue name is, sorry I can't remember offhand.)

mousehawk

Post by mousehawk » April 27th, 2014, 4:51 am

azureblue

Post by azureblue » April 27th, 2014, 12:11 pm

Hello ,
here's the Eccles part for His Last Bow with amended bits . Thanks for the feedback :D

Norman

Post by Norman » April 27th, 2014, 5:27 pm

Hi, I asked for the DoctorToMissCushing in Chapt 3 but was assigned the Doctor (not Doctor Watson) in chapter 8. so here are both if they fit the bill. I hope the dead space is convenient for editing.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/hislastbow_03_doctortomisscushing.mp3 0:36

Not this wrong chapter https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/hislastbow_08_doctor.mp3 0:22

Nice easy things to knock out. i hope they are ok. I will get on with the two others soon.
Last edited by Norman on April 27th, 2014, 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norman

skythrock

Post by skythrock » April 27th, 2014, 5:39 pm

Elizabby wrote:
You've got Leverton- but don't feel you have to stop there! Please read more (if you think you can fit it in along with your other commitments, of course!)

I first listened to yourvoice reading for the previous Sherlock Holmes book, and I thought you were a Brit! I was so surprised when you read the Evangelist for the Pilgrim's Progress with that broad American accent - I nearly fell off my chair!

Sure you don't want to play a London bobby for us? I think Inspector Morton looks like fun, and all the characters from the "Devil's Foot" are very interesting - most of them turn out to be baddies in one way or another!
Thanks for the compliments! I do my best. haha We'll see how much I can do. If there are parts still open after I finish my other stuff, I'll definitely pick one up!

Norman

Post by Norman » April 27th, 2014, 9:27 pm

I corrected the chapter number for the doctor from the previous submission

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/hislastbow_09_doctor.mp3 00:22

And i added Inspector Morton from Chapt 8

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/hislastbow_08_morton.mp3 00:33

Oh, and if any of this is not in a style you like, it would be easy for me to adjust anyway you do like!
Norman

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » April 27th, 2014, 9:37 pm

Thanks everyone - I appear to have mixed some things up - I'm getting off my phone and doing it properly on the computer next time! I'll sort and PL the files tonight, and straighten out the MW!

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » April 28th, 2014, 2:28 am

azureblue wrote:Hello ,
here's the Eccles part for His Last Bow with amended bits . Thanks for the feedback :D
John Scott Eccles is now PL OK! :clap: I think that's the first role to be completed in this project - congratulations!

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » April 28th, 2014, 2:41 am

Norman wrote:Hi, I asked for the DoctorToMissCushing in Chapt 3 but was assigned the Doctor (not Doctor Watson) in chapter 8. so here are both if they fit the bill. I hope the dead space is convenient for editing.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/hislastbow_03_doctortomisscushing.mp3 0:36

Not this wrong chapter https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/hislastbow_08_doctor.mp3 0:22
Both of these and Inspector Morton are all PL OK! :thumbs: Lovely voice effects for Morton, especially! I do love hearing the dramatic put into a dram read!

Sorry about the confusion with the two doctors! Three doctors and two butlers in this collection of short stories - I was bound to muck it up at some point! :oops:

Now all we need is the third Doctor and you'll have made a clean sweep of the board!