COMPLETE [DRAM.READ] His Last Bow (Sherlock Holmes) - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

His Last Bow: Some Reminiscences of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (1859 - 1930).

This project is complete! All audio files can be found in the catalogue: https://librivox.org/his-last-bow-some-reminiscences-of-sherlock-holmes-dramatic-reading-by-sir-arthur-conan-doyle/
The last collection of Sherlock Holmes short stories contains some of the most dramatic moments of the entire Sherlock Holmes canon. "The Dying Detective" sees the great Holmes brought low by a fatal illness and refusing even Dr Watson's medical care. "The Bruce-Partington Plans" is a case of national importance, not least for the introduction of Mycroft Holmes. It also contains the quintessential Holmes line "whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"The Devil's Foot" is what happens when the great sleuth and his doctor attempt to go on a restful holiday. "His Last Bow" is the last ever Sherlock Holmes story, about his war service and undercover spy experiences. These and other classic Holmes and Watson stories are here brought to life by a dramatic cast of voices, so sit back and let the mysteries unfold! (Summary by Beth Thomas)
  • MC: Rapunzelina
    BC: Elizabby - Beth Thomas
    Editor: Piotrek81
    PL Parts: Elizabby
    PL (final chapters): AdeledePignerolles

1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.

Casting for this project is gender neutral.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only DPLs to read from this text!): http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks/c00014.html

Everyone else please read from the colour-coded Google Docs linked at the bottom of the Magic Window!
    5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ============================================
      Genres for the project: Crime & Mystery Fiction/Detective Fiction
      Keywords that describe the book: Sherlock Holmes, Mystery, short stories, Crime
      ============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
    7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: Act [#] of His Last Bow: Some Reminiscences of Sherlock Holmes , by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle . This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Save files as 128 kbps MP3
      hislastbow_##_role.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the two-digit chapter number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
        https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: rapunzelina - Rapunzelina
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
[/list]

Please be aware that the BC for this project is in Australia, so allow 24 hours for responses to questions!
Last edited by Elizabby on March 12th, 2015, 10:46 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Here is a summary of parts, until the MW goes up, roughly in order of size. Please note these are indications of the characters, not the readers! Gender neutral casting for all parts and of course anyone can be a baddie! ;) Accents as marked are preferred for those characters but the reader may "put on" the accent - it doesn't have to be natural.

Recurring characters are colour-coded, please claim all the appearances of your character and do not claim multiple parts within one story. Thanks!

Narrator/Dr John Watson: Cori Samuel
Sherlock Holmes: Beth Thomas

BROWNER/GREGSON/VON BORK - mousehawk
MARTHA/BAYNES/MISS CUSHING/VIOLET/MRS WARREN/SMITH - Shakira
MISS BARNETT/MARIE - Trotsa
EMILIA (Italian Accent) - etel13 (Etel Buss)
Von Herling (German accent) - J_N (Julia)

VALENTINE/PETERS/TREGENNIS (baddies)
LESTRADE/MORTON/SERGEANT (police officers)
GENNARO/JOHNSON/GREEN/VICAR/DOCTOR (younger men)
MYCROFT HOLMES, DR STERNDALE, ECCLES, MANAGER, WALTERS, MR PETERS (older men)
MARY, SARAH, MRS HUDSON, MRS PETERS, (older women)
LEVERTON, (American),
CAB DRIVER, RAILWAY OFFICER, WARNER, BUTLER, (small parts)

The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge
CAST: WATSON, HOLMES, GREGSON, BAYNES, ECCLES, WALTERS, WARNER, MISS BARNETT

The Adventure of The Cardboard Box
CAST: WATSON, HOLMES, LESTRADE, MISS CUSHING, CAB DRIVER, DOCTOR, MARY, SARAH, BROWNER

The Adventure of The Red Circle
CAST: WATSON, HOLMES, MRS WARREN, GENNARO, GREGSON, LEVERTON, EMILIA

The Adventure of The Bruce-Partington Plans
CAST: WATSON, HOLMES, LESTRADE, MYCROFT, RAILWAY OFFICER, BUTLER, VALENTINE, VIOLET, JOHNSON

The Adventure of The Dying Detective.
CAST: WATSON, HOLMES, MRS HUDSON, MORTON, BUTLER, SMITH,

The Disappearance of the Lady Frances Carfax.
CAST: WATSON, HOLMES, MANAGER, MARIE, GREEN, MRS PETERS, MR PETERS, SERGEANT, DOCTOR,

The Adventure of the Devil’s Foot
CAST: WATSON, HOLMES, VICAR, TREGENNIS, Dr STERNDALE

His Last Bow.
CAST: WATSON, HOLMES VON BORK, VON HERLING, MARTHA,
Last edited by Elizabby on April 25th, 2014, 3:55 am, edited 7 times in total.
Shakira

Post by Shakira »

Oh, good heavens.

I know there isn't even an MW for this yet, but I would lovelovelove to be involved! I've adored the Holmes short stories since childhood, and dramatic readings sound like pure delight!

If you will have me for a part or several, I would gladly be all over this one. Please bear me in mind? :D
Shakira S. - Verbose, vivacious, versatile vocalist.
Pronouns: They/Them/Theirs
LV Reader Page

My health is utterly pants, but I'm getting things done.

https://soundcloud.com/shakira-s/
https://soundcloud.com/shakira-speaks/
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Shakira wrote:Oh, good heavens.

I know there isn't even an MW for this yet, but I would lovelovelove to be involved! I've adored the Holmes short stories since childhood, and dramatic readings sound like pure delight!

If you will have me for a part or several, I would gladly be all over this one. Please bear me in mind? :D
You don't need to wait for the MW, you can go ahead and claim whatever you like and I'll mark it in the second post and transfer it to the MW when we get an MC.
Shakira

Post by Shakira »

Elizabby wrote:You don't need to wait for the MW, you can go ahead and claim whatever you like and I'll mark it in the second post and transfer it to the MW when we get an MC.
:9: :D :9: :D :9:

Well, then! Please sign me up for:

- Baynes
- Miss Cushing
- Mrs Warren
- Violet
- Smith (Couldn't resist one bad guy!)
- Martha

Thanks a bunch!
Shakira S. - Verbose, vivacious, versatile vocalist.
Pronouns: They/Them/Theirs
LV Reader Page

My health is utterly pants, but I'm getting things done.

https://soundcloud.com/shakira-s/
https://soundcloud.com/shakira-speaks/
mousehawk

Post by mousehawk »

I'll take Browner, Gregson and Von Bork please? :)
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

mousehawk wrote:I'll take Browner, Gregson and Von Bork please? :)
Excellent! I think this book is going to be as popular as the last one! :mrgreen:
Trotsa

Post by Trotsa »

Wow, just in time for the Miss Barnett and Marie! Please sign me up! I love Sherlock Holmes!
Trotsa

[/size]I am an imperfect person loved by a PERFECT God.
etel13

Post by etel13 »

Hi Elizabby,

Good News!! I enjoyed to be part of it, but I have a question, could you change my name on this project instead of Etel 13, Etel Buss, please? I should let you know before, right?

Thanks
Etel :clap:
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

etel13 wrote:Hi Elizabby,

Good News!! I enjoyed to be part of it, but I have a question, could you change my name on this project instead of Etel 13, Etel Buss, please? I should let you know before, right?

Thanks
Etel :clap:
When you read your voice credit you can call yourself whatever you like. I don't know how to change your screen name though - maybe our MC will know how to do that when we get one!

Did you just want Emilia? I remember you did a lovely job of our last lady with an accent, but if you wanted to claim something else as well, go ahead!
J_N

Post by J_N »

May I try von Herling, please? :)
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

J_N wrote:May I try von Herling, please? :)
Go for it! I don't do accents myself, but I admire those who do! :mrgreen:
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Elizabby! Let me MC this one :D
I'll go set up the magic window. The link to the gutenberg text is just the last story or something, but it seems you're doing the whole collection. Which text source will you be using?
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Rapunzelina wrote:Hi Elizabby! Let me MC this one :D
I'll go set up the magic window. The link to the gutenberg text is just the last story or something, but it seems you're doing the whole collection. Which text source will you be using?
All the stories are on Gutenberg but separately. I made the Google docs off the Gutenberg texts, using the Wikipedia compilation information.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I see! We'll add a separate text-link to each story then.
I've updated the first post, just check the intros-outros; I suppose they won't be "Act #" and "End of Act #" :mrgreen: (or maybe that's reduntant with the google docs)