[COMPLETE]Lives And Opinions Of Eminent Philosophers Bk 6-tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
balaonspace

Post by balaonspace »

The Lives And Opinions Of Eminent Philosophers Book VI by Diogenes Laertius ( - 3CE). Translated by Charles Duke Yonge (1812 - 1891)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/lives-and-opinions-of-eminent-philosophers-book-vi-by-diogenes-laertius/

There are 10 divisions in this title. This project is a recording of book 6. There is a number of interesting anecdotes on the lives of Antisthenes, Diogenes of Sinope, Monimus, Onesicritus, Crates of Thebes, Metrocles, Hipparchia, Menippus and Menedemus. Their school of thought is known an Cynicism. Most of the text in this book is devoted to the anecdotes concerning Diogenes's life and sayings. Even Alexander envied his life saying that if he had not been Alexander, he should have liked to be Diogenes.
(summary by bala)
There are 10 divisions in this title. This project will record division/book 6. There are a few greek words in the text, ask for help if don't know the right pronounciation.

1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/livesandopinions00dioguoft
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of The lives and opinions of eminent philosophers, Book VI. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The lives and opinions of eminent philosophers, Book VI, by Diogenes Laertius. Translated by Charles Duke Yonge. [Chapter]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The lives and opinions of eminent philosophers Book VI, by Diogenes Laertius. Translated by Charles Duke Yonge."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      eminentphilosophers6_##_laertius_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. eminentphilosophers6_01_laertius_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (Don't worry about them; they'll be added at cataloging time.)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by balaonspace on May 23rd, 2014, 12:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Λ
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'll MC this.

If it were my project, I'd make the file name eminentphilosophers6 rather than eminentphilosophersbookvi, but that's up to you. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
balaonspace

Post by balaonspace »

TriciaG wrote:I'll MC this.

If it were my project, I'd make the file name eminentphilosophers6 rather than eminentphilosophersbookvi, but that's up to you. :)
Great i will start filing up the MW.

And I will use your suggestion for the filename. The one I posted was just tentative.

cheers

EDIT : I need only 6 sections, remaining can be removed.
Λ
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

This looks really interesting. Looking for a DPL? I'll volunteer.
Arlene
---------------------------------------------
Every day is a new adventure!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've put you in, Arlene. Thanks!

Bala - is the MW all set up? Do you need me to delete the last empty sections?
balaonspace

Post by balaonspace »

ArleneJoyce wrote:This looks really interesting. Looking for a DPL? I'll volunteer.
Welcome to this project. The MC has signed you up as DPL. :)

cheers
Λ
balaonspace

Post by balaonspace »

TriciaG wrote: Bala - is the MW all set up? Do you need me to delete the last empty sections?
Yes the MW is final. I wont need the empty sections.
cheers
Λ
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Okay! Moving to Readers Wanted.
balaonspace

Post by balaonspace »

Λ
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Please remember to put the file duration in the Notes field. :) Thanks!
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

What a nice voice you have for recording!

In section 2, there were a couple of repeats:
- at 20:23, "for that he was" is repeated
- at 22:43, "and a man asked him" is repeated
Arlene
balaonspace

Post by balaonspace »

Hi Tricia, I added the duration to the notes.

Hi Ariene, I am glad you liked the recording. i made the corrections.

section 2 after corrections

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/eminentphilosophers6_02_laertius_128kb.mp3
26:49

section 3

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/eminentphilosophers6_03_laertius_128kb.mp3
22:23

cheers
Λ
balaonspace

Post by balaonspace »

Λ
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Section 2 is PL OK.

Section 3 is missing the phrase μάδτίξεν δ΄ έλάαν at 15:05.

Section 4 is PL OK.

Thank you for reading! It was enjoyable listening.
Arlene
balaonspace

Post by balaonspace »

i added the missing phrase, here is the corrected recording. Most of my greek pronounciations are fifty percent correct. If you find any mistakes feel free to correct them.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/eminentphilosophers6_03_laertius_128kb.mp3
22:24

Diogenes is a very entertaining character, it is fun to read about his life.

cheers
Λ