[COMPl]The Tale of Terror:A Study of the Gothic Romance-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Timothy Ferguson

Post by Timothy Ferguson »

The Tale of Terror: A Study of the Gothic Romance by Edith Birkhead (1889-1951).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-tale-of-terror-a-study-of-the-gothic-romance-by-edith-birkhead/

Volunteers outside the USA: Edith Birkhead died in 1951. Her work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years.
A seminal essay on the development of horror as a genre, highly influential on later writers. ( Timothy Ferguson)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14154
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

• Project Code: DakffE2L
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Edith Birkhead) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edith_Birkhead
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): N/A
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 13
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
    • Original publication date (if known): 1920
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction; *Non-fiction/Literary Criticism

Keywords that describe the book: horror novels

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Tale of Terror: A Study of the Gothic Romance. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Tale of Terror: A Study of the Gothic Romance, by Edith Birkhead. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Tale of Terror: A Study of the Gothic Romance by Edith Birkhead. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Tale of Terror: A Study of the Gothic Romance, by Edith Birkhead. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename taleofterror_##_birkhead.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. taleofterror_01_birkhead.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Edith Birkhead
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: The Tale of Terror: A Study of the Gothic Romance

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: annise-Annise
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
My occasional blog is Games from Folktales
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Looks interesting - I'll set it up for you
Back later

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

All set up
I suppose if you can't find the dates for the author I can't . she had books published between 1912-1930 and lectured at Bristol
If your library subscribes to any genealogical sites you could probably get a death - I don't have home access.

Anne

found 1 born 1888, died 1951 in Bristol - whic would make her first book I found (1912) she was 24 -probably a bit young I think
Timothy Ferguson

Some of the wombats (a list for stumped librarians) found me her Times obituary.

Quoting them:

TIMES of London for 26 June 1951 has an obituary (no exact day of death given, just "recently"); it says she was born in 1889. So, 1889-1951.

Place of death was "Clifton, Bristol." Also noted: she was "educated at Southport High School, Liverpool College, and Liverpool University, where she held the Noble Fellowship."
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

1951 means that it's not PD for me yet. Pity. I read and recorded another essay on the development of horror story ("Supernatural Horror in Fiction" by Lovecraft) for Legamus so it would be cool to see how and where these two tie in.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Anne has some "real life" going on right now, so I've added the birth/death year of the author to the database. Thanks for finding that!

Moving this to Going Solo...
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Timothy Ferguson

Piotrek81 wrote:1951 means that it's not PD for me yet. Pity. I read and recorded another essay on the development of horror story ("Supernatural Horror in Fiction" by Lovecraft) for Legamus so it would be cool to see how and where these two tie in.
Apparently Lovecraft borrowed a lot from her, although he does give an attribution. It was researching his essay that led me to this one.
Timothy Ferguson

I just thought I should note for the record and for the peace of mind of any others in my situation that I'm in Australia, and although we are now a death + 70 country, that's not retrospective: anything out of copyright when the shift from Death + 50 to Death + 70 occurred remains out of copyright.

Any work published in the lifetime of an author who died before 1/1/1955 is out of copyright here, so at 1951, I'm safe on this one.
Timothy Ferguson

Monthly checkin!

I'm still interested in doing this. I've been caught up with some minor medical drama, but still intend to get back to it. I've recorded Chapters 0-1, but not edited them yet.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thanks for checking in - hope things settle down for you

Anne
Timothy Ferguson

Time to kick this off!

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/taleofterror_00_birkhead.mp3 2:01
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/taleofterror_01_birkhead.mp3 27:26

I have a new computer, but I think all of the settings are right. 8)
PeregrinTyss

Post by PeregrinTyss »

Hi Timothy,
I would love to DPL this for you, if you want ;)

so long,
Peregrinus
No Internet for some time =(
Timothy Ferguson

Oh, thank you so much!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Great :D
Nice to meet you, I have added you to the project so let me know if you have any access problems

Anne
PeregrinTyss

Post by PeregrinTyss »

Hi Timothy,

Preface is PL OK!

Because this project requires only standart proof-listening, this is only for your information:

You missed "and wonder" in the sentence "...recent forms of the tale of terror and wonder, the scope of the..." at 1:05

Great reading btw :clap:

so long.
Peregrinus
No Internet for some time =(