COMPLETE [PLAY] Electra by Benito Pérez Galdós - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Electra by Benito Pérez Galdós (1843 - 1920). Translated by Charles Alfred Turrell (1875 - 1961)

This project is complete! All audio files can be found in the catalog: https://librivox.org/electra-by-benito-perez-galdos/

Volunteers outside the USA: Charles Alfred Turrell died in 1961. The author's work is still protected by copyright in places like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, UNLESS the rule of shorter term applies (and we have determined that it does -- see biographical notes below).
Originally staged in the Teatro Español in 1901, Electra is a controversial Spanish drama that documents the trials and tribulations of its innocent heroine. Electra is a young woman of unknown parentage who is raised in a convent in France. After the death of her mother Eleuteria, she is adopted by her aunt and uncle. Electra soon falls in love with the scientist Maximo, but an intricate web of rumors and lies threatens to ruin their relationship. In this play, Benito Pérez Galdós tackles a number of big themes: fanaticism, superstition, social justice, rationalism, and the powers of science. ( ChuckW)
About Charles Alfred Turrell: The translator for this play was born in New York, USA on 1875 and died in 1961. For this reason, the Rule of the Shorter Term applies.
  1. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/stream/contemporaryspan00turruoft#page/24/mode/2up
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    Genres for the project: Plays
    Keywords that describe the book: spanish drama, spanish literature
    ============================================
    • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
    • Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: Act [#] of Electra, by Benito Pérez Galdós. Translated by Charles Alfred Turrell. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    • AFTER recording
      Save files as 128 kbps MP3
      electra_[role]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the act number.

Final files filename should be: electra_[act #]_galdos_128kb.mp3

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
        https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: rapunzelina - Rapunzelina
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by ChuckW on March 19th, 2014, 12:43 pm, edited 10 times in total.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Note: This will be my final dramatic project on Librivox. In about three-in-a-half months, I will become a first time father and will no doubt have very little time to put these sorts of time consuming productions together. I'd considered just ending it all with A Dream Play, but I could resist the temptation to launch one last project. So consider this my last bang! :)

The role of Electra has been claimed by JoFriday21. TriciaG has also made for us a very helpful pronunciation guide:

https://librivox.org/uploads/xx-nonproject/electra_cast.mp3
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
JoFriday21

Post by JoFriday21 »

Checking in, future Daddio!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Charles Alfred Turrell died in 1961 so this won't be PD for D+70 countries but it would be safe for me to just MC. Let me set it up, and I'll be back shortly!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

OK, Magic window is in place. I've edited the first post where necessary. Let me know if it needs anything else!
:D
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Rapunzelina wrote:OK, Magic window is in place. I've edited the first post where necessary. Let me know if it needs anything else!
:D
Awesome, thank you, Rapunzelina! Will start filling in the MW right now.

By the way, would you mind sending me the biographical info on Turrell? I'd like to make that available to others who might volunteer (it would also help folks decide if the text is PD-free in their country or not).
PROJECTS
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Ha - first one!

Can I read Gil, the mathematician please?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

ChuckW wrote:By the way, would you mind sending me the biographical info on Turrell? I'd like to make that available to others who might volunteer (it would also help folks decide if the text is PD-free in their country or not).
This is what I got from here
Charles Alfred Turrell (1875 - 1961)

And Magic Window already filled in? I'll move us to Readers Wanted then. Soon :D
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Availle wrote:Ha - first one!

Can I read Gil, the mathematician please?
Woohoo! That would be great! Thank you!

And thank you, Rapunzelina!
PROJECTS
Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

May I claim Mariano? And congrats on your impending fatherhood!
Between being a full-time college student and working 20+ hours per week, I'm not able to be involved at LV these days, but I remain a loyal fan and look forward to a triumphant return sometime in the (probably distant) future.
abendlied

Post by abendlied »

Hi there!

May I read for Evarista?

Best,
Sarah
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

In that case, can I have Sister Dorotea please?
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Wow, thanks everyone! Great things happened with this project while I was sleeping. :)

I'm adding all of you to the MW right now.
PROJECTS
MauiPainter

Post by MauiPainter »

What a lucky kid to have such a wonderful Dad. I can only imagine how elaborate pretend time will be in the Williamson household. I picture costumes, sets and scripts.
Well my little one is a Freshman in college so I got plenty of time. Pick something out for me. Mid to compact sized role.
PS. When you figure out that babies just kind of lay around all day and you have time on your hands dont be afraid to come back to librivox. We will politely disregard you quitting.
A
etel13

Post by etel13 »

Hello,

May I have Balbina section 10?

Thanks
Etel