COMPLETE The Growth of a Soul, by August Strindberg-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
soupy

Post by soupy »

The Growth of a Soul by August Strindberg (1849 - 1912) Translated by Claud Field (1863 - 1941) .
Johan August Strindberg was a Swedish playwright who has had many of his works read into Librivox by volunteers. From his earliest work, Strindberg developed forms of dramatic action, language, and visual composition so innovative that many were to become technically possible to stage only with the advent of film. He is considered the "father" of modern Swedish literature. The Growth of a Soul is Strindberg's own literary autobiography and recreation of the spirit of the times at Upsala University and his attempts to become a literary artist. The work ends with the publication of his novel The Red Room (1879). It is the autobiography of a thinking soul. He discusses the works of such souls as Friedrich Schiller (1788-1805), Christopher Jacob Boström (1797-1866), Soren Kierkegaard (1813-1855) and Henry Thomas Buckle (1821-1862).

The history of the development of a soul can be sometimes written by giving a simple bibliography; for a man who lives in a narrow circle and never meets great men personally, seeks to make their acquaintance through books. The fact that the same books do not make the same impression, nor have the same effect upon all, shows their relative powerlessness to convert anybody. For example, we call the criticism with which we agree good; the criticism which contradicts our views is bad. Thus we seem to be educated with preconceived views, and the book which strengthens, expresses and develops these makes an impression on us. The danger of a one-sided education through books is that most books, especially those composed at the end of an era, and at the university, are antiquated. The youth who has received old ideals from his parents and teachers is accordingly necessarily out of date before his education is completed. When he enters manhood, he is generally obliged to fling away his whole stock of old ideas, and be born again, as it were. Time has gone by him, while he was reading the old books, and he finds himself a stranger among his contemporaries. August Strindberg
(Wikipedia and Soupy)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/growth-of-a-soul-by-august-strindberg/
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/44107
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
      • Project Code: eGsodP8W
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (August Strindberg) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_Strindberg
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): Not avaible
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 17
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      • Original publication date (if known): unknown
      • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
      ============================================

Genres for the project: Fictional Biographies & Memoirs; Religious Fiction; Historical Fiction; Culture & Heritage
      Keywords that describe the book: fiction, memoir, sweden, august strindberg

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of The Growth of a Soul. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Growth of a Soul, by August Strindberg. Translated by Claud Field [Chapter number, title]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter number]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Growth of a Soul, by August Strindberg. Translated by Claud Field"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      thegrowthofasoul_##_strindberg_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. thegrowthofasoul_01_strindberg_128kb.mp3)
    9. ID3 tags
      ID3 tags will be added by MC during cataloging.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by soupy on May 13th, 2014, 7:44 pm, edited 19 times in total.
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Soupy,
I'd be happy to MC this for you. Off to do the set up.
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK Craig, your MW is up and ready for you to fill out.

I'm not familiar with this author, so telling me that it is a semi-autobiographical work doesn't give me much of a clue - any more you can say about the book that would help prospective readers understand what it's about and who the author is?

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Moving this thread to readers wanted to keep the launch pad tidy.

MaryAnn
soupy

Post by soupy »

I suppose I should make the book [FIC] instead of [Group] - do you think so too?

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Craig,
Yes, now that the project is set up, you can change that bracketed language to help readers understand what the book is about. One of the ways that you advertise for readers - throw out a lure and give them a reason to click through to the project thread from the Readers Wanted forum. :wink:
MaryAnn
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

I would like to participate in this project. I have completed a test recording and have been given the GO! As of yesterday, Feb. 26th, I have posted a short ghost story--not yet proof-listened-to or posted. I'll claim the first part of the Strindberg AND as many parts as I may have of this project I will be able to begin reading on March 11th, 2014, and should finish soon. I am listed as jmoorehouse and am posting under Jan Moorehouse for my readings. If I am missing a step, please advise! Thanks. :)
Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse
soupy

Post by soupy »

I would like to participate in this project. I have completed a test recording and have been given the GO! As of yesterday, Feb. 26th, I have posted a short ghost story--not yet proof-listened-to or posted. I'll claim the first part of the Strindberg AND as many parts as I may have of this project I will be able to begin reading on March 11th, 2014, and should finish soon. I am listed as jmoorehouse and am posting under Jan Moorehouse for my readings. If I am missing a step, please advise! Thanks.
Alright Jan, I've put you down for sections 1-3 to begin with. We do try to get our recordings done within two months of taking them on. I'm glad to see that you're interested in this project and in Librivox overall. Thanks for taking the initiative.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Thanks Craig. I'll begin parts 1, 2, and 3 as of March 11. I will plan to complete those parts by the end of March, middle of April at the latest.
Jan
Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Hi Craig--
I'm editing part one this morning. I have a little apprehension about my pronunciation of Swedish surnames and cities. If you do the proof listening, I'd be happy to correct any glaring mispronunciations, or perhaps you know of a web site (I couldn't find one) where I could hear the correct pronunciations. I did search, but most of the names appear to be waiting for someone to provide the audio.
Jan :help:
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
soupy

Post by soupy »

Hi Craig--
I'm editing part one this morning. I have a little apprehension about my pronunciation of Swedish surnames and cities. If you do the proof listening, I'd be happy to correct any glaring mispronunciations, or perhaps you know of a web site (I couldn't find one) where I could hear the correct pronunciations. I did search, but most of the names appear to be waiting for someone to provide the audio.
Jan
Hi Jan.

I'm not perfect at pronunciation by long shot so I try to find pronunciation guides like the one below.

http://www.onlineswedish.com/pronounce.php

I also copy and past the word into Wikipedia to see how to pronounce it and last of all I select the word and right click then left click on google search and that sometimes takes me to the pronunciation.

Klostergränden

I right clicked on the word above and left clicked on "search google for Klostergradnen" but didn't find anything.

I also go to YouTube and see if any nice Swedish single individuals have any help like the one below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHe7f_L7S2Q

Hope that helps.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Thanks Craig.
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

There's also this site - which includes Swedish. I've used it for help with French.

http://www.linguatec.net/products/tts/voice_reader/vrs15demo

M.A.
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

This is a GREAT resource! :clap: :clap:
Thanks.
Jan
P.S. Hoped to post Ch. 1 today but this will make it better! Re-doing several paragraphs--watch for Ch. 1 early next week.
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

For Proof Listening:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/growthofthesoul_01_strindberg_128kb.mp3

33:45

(I did not include "Recorded by" but can do so if that's preferred.)

I welcome any/all feedback and will not begin Chapter 2 until Chapter 1 is approved!
Jan :|
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse