COMPLETE: The Door Through Space by Marion Zimmer Bradley kr

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Xrystabelle

Post by Xrystabelle »

I'm biting the bullet and embarking on a solo reading. I've done a few single chapters and single parts in the dramatic works. I'd planned to wait a bit longer before starting this, but Zimmer Bradley's one of my favorite scifi/fantasy authors. Until now, I'd not heard of this work, so this will be an extra treat. I hope I'm filling out all of the information correctly.

Christie

Complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
http://librivox.org/the-door-through-space-by-marion-zimmer-bradley/

1. Full title: The Door Through Space
2. Full name of author(s): Marion Zimmer Bradley
3. Full name of translator (if applicable, and if available):
4. Link to PD text source: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/19726
5. Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley%2C_Marion_Zimmer and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marion_Zimmer_Bradley

6. Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): N/A
7. Target completion date (an estimate which can be changed): December 31, 2008
8. Short description (from Project Gutenberg, looks like it was the original book summary): FANGS OF THE WOLF WORLD

At one time Race Cargill had been the best Terran Intelligence agent on the complex and mysterious planet of Wolf. He had repeatedly imperiled his life amongst the half-human and non-human creatures of the sullen world. And he had repeatedly accomplished the fantastic missions until his name was emblazoned with glory.

But that had all seemingly ended. For six long years he'd sat behind a boring desk inside the fenced-in Terran Headquarters, cut off there ever since he and a rival had scarred and ripped each other in blood-feud.

But when THE DOOR THROUGH SPACE swung suddenly open, the feud was on again—and with it a plot designed to check and destroy the Terran Empire.

9. Number of sections (files) this project will have: 16 (intro and 15 chapters)
10. Does the project have an introduction [y/n]: y
11. Original publication date (if known):
12. Do you have server space to store your files?:
13. If you're a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?: Christie Nowak
14. Example of your file names: doorthroughspace_##_bradley.mp3
15. Example of your ID3 tags:
Title: Chapter XX
Artist: Marion Zimmer Bradley
Album: The Door Through Space[/list]
Last edited by Xrystabelle on July 31st, 2008, 7:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Christie Nowak
kayray

Post by kayray »

Looking good, Christie! I've never read any of her books, but I know she's a Big Name, so it's cool to have one of hers in our collection!

All your info looks good -- just change your filenames to this: doorthroughspace_##_bradley.mp3 if you don't mind :)

Do you have server space to store your files for proof-listening? If not, let me know and you can use mine. I'll get your Magic Window set up asap, and send you info on how to edit it yourself as you complete chapters.

Oh, one more thing -- would you check in with me every month or so, even if you hit a snag and don't get much recorded for a while? If you disappear for a couple of months, I'll move this thread elsewhere to avoid cluttering up the Solos section -- but we can always get it back again :)

Maybe we can find a dedicated Proof-Listener for you. I find it really helps to get feedback as you progress!

Happy reading!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Xrystabelle

Post by Xrystabelle »

kayray wrote:Looking good, Christie! I've never read any of her books, but I know she's a Big Name, so it's cool to have one of hers in our collection!

All your info looks good -- just change your filenames to this: doorthroughspace_##_bradley.mp3 if you don't mind :)
No problem. I wasn't certian how to handle her duel name, so went with the initials, figuring someone'd tell me what to do if it was wrong.
Do you have server space to store your files for proof-listening? If not, let me know and you can use mine.
I have a small amount of server space at the moment, but may be able to figure out more. I'll look into that and let you know.
I'll get your Magic Window set up asap, and send you info on how to edit it yourself as you complete chapters.
Wonderful. Thanks!!
Oh, one more thing -- would you check in with me every month or so, even if you hit a snag and don't get much recorded for a while? If you disappear for a couple of months, I'll move this thread elsewhere to avoid cluttering up the Solos section -- but we can always get it back again :)
Certainly. I'm hoping to do a chapter every couple of weeks in order to hit that dealine. I'm not sure how well this will work until I get into it further. They look like small and easily read chapters, but…

Maybe we can find a dedicated Proof-Listener for you. I find it really helps to get feedback as you progress!

Happy reading!
Thanks again. Am a bundle of nerves on this one (weirdly enough). Not because of actually doing the recording, just mostly because I'm afraid I'll get over-whelmed. :shock:

Christie
Christie Nowak
kayray

Post by kayray »

Xrystabelle wrote:Thanks again. Am a bundle of nerves on this one (weirdly enough). Not because of actually doing the recording, just mostly because I'm afraid I'll get over-whelmed. :shock:

Christie
Oh, you'll be fine :) If you find partway through that you're not having fun, we can switch this to a collaborative project and finish it up that way.
Kara
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Xrystabelle

Post by Xrystabelle »

The mp3 is at :http://homepage.mac.com/xrystabelle

I'm hoping there will be enough space for all of the files there, but if not, I think I can find another spot to move them to.

Christie
Christie Nowak
kayray

Post by kayray »

Hmm, I can't access your file. Would you upload the mp3 (not zipped) to http://mediafire.com and post the link here? Thanks.
Kara
--------
Xrystabelle

Post by Xrystabelle »

Wow, that was a fast response!!

Am uploading to MediaFire now. And trying to edit the status window to include the URL. My app quit on me the last time I tried, but hopefully that was just a minor glitch in the matrix.

Is it a problem with the zip file, do you think? I'm not sure if I can reconfigure my public space to stop that or not. It seems to be a "feature".

Would it be better to post them to MediaFire instead?

Thanks for listening!
Christie
Christie Nowak
Xrystabelle

Post by Xrystabelle »

It worked that time. Once I actually READ the directions and hit return to save my changes (you'd think that after all those years in school, I would actually have learned to read directions before jumping in feet first, but noooooo. I have to do it the hard way.)

So, the file it uploaded, and the link is there.

how lon with MediaFire keep the file available? Should i keep a copy on my public space as well, evne if I can't figure out this zipping issue?

Thanks for your help!!!!

I'm off to do more recording on another section. I'm about to come down with a cold, I fear. So I need ot get as much done before the stuffy nose hits as possible! then I'll concentrate on just editing until that goes away. :roll:

Christie
Christie Nowak
kayray

Post by kayray »

Ah, got the file from Mediafire -- sounds wonderful! What a nice voice you have. I'll mark that chapter Proof-Listened and ready to catalog!

Mediafire claims that your file will stay there until you delete it yourself, but that if they run out of room on their servers they *might* have to delete things that haven't been accessed in a while.

You should keep a backup copy on your own computer, just in case :)

If you make a free account with them, all your files will be in one place and easy to find.

Yeah... I don't know what's up with the .Mac thing. I had another reader try to put her files in her .Mac space and had the same problem. If you can make it so the files have a nice, easy, direct link that's cool. Otherwise it's probably easier to use mediafire.

Happy reading! Hope your cold, if you get it, is mild and of short duration :)
Kara
--------
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Xrystabelle wrote:The mp3 is at :http://homepage.mac.com/xrystabelle

I'm hoping there will be enough space for all of the files there, but if not, I think I can find another spot to move them to.

Christie
Worked fine for me - and a very fine reading, too! - I also store my files at .mac. The ftp site zips your files automatically, saving space, but the uncompress upon download. Also, you can go in through the .mac website and adjust the amount of storage assigned to email and iDisk. The default os 50/50, which is probably way more email space than you need, so if you want to give more to your iDisk you can.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
Xrystabelle

Post by Xrystabelle »

sjmarky wrote: Worked fine for me - and a very fine reading, too! - I also store my files at .mac. The ftp site zips your files automatically, saving space, but the uncompress upon download. Also, you can go in through the .mac website and adjust the amount of storage assigned to email and iDisk. The default os 50/50, which is probably way more email space than you need, so if you want to give more to your iDisk you can.
Thanks!! Both for listening and for the feedback.

I think I already adjusted my storage space. I had to! I was running out of space for my blog!! But I'll double check that.

So, there's no way to stop the zip? It's not usually a problem, but if there's a way, I'd like to know in case I need it someday.

Regardless, I think i'll just save these files on MediaFire. It works pretty easily, and seems to cause fewer problems. So why reinvent the wheel, right?

Christie
Christie Nowak
Xrystabelle

Post by Xrystabelle »

Chapter One is done and up.

My voice was getting shakey at the end of that chapter, so I couldn't move on to the next one yet. And now that cold I talked about is fully seated in my nose. :cry: So it might be a few days before I can record clearly again. But at least I'm caught up to my self imposed schedule. (I'm hoping to get two chapters done a month, which leaves me still two weeks for the next chapter.)

Hopefully the scratchiness only adds to the drama!

Christie
Christie Nowak
kayray

Post by kayray »

LIstening to ch. 1 right now, since I'm knitting anyway :)

One quick thing -- make sure to use a leading zero in the one-digit chapter numbers in your ID3 tags so they'll sort properly. (Chapter 01, not Chapter 1) I'll fix this one, no worries.

(otherwise some computers will order them like this:
chapter 1
chapter 10
chapter 11
chapter 12
chapter 2
chapter 21
etc)
Kara
--------
kayray

Post by kayray »

I love your reading style! Ch 1 was just fine. Now, hot tea with honey and some chicken soup for you!
Kara
--------
Xrystabelle

Post by Xrystabelle »

kayray wrote:LIstening to ch. 1 right now, since I'm knitting anyway :)

One quick thing -- make sure to use a leading zero in the one-digit chapter numbers in your ID3 tags so they'll sort properly. (Chapter 01, not Chapter 1) I'll fix this one, no worries.
Whoops! Whoops! Whoops! And here I thought I'd covered everything! Thanks for fixing it, and I will do better next time!

I should be knitting, myself. Have to finish up my son's hat.scarf.gloves before spring. :wink:

Christie
Christie Nowak