[COMPLETE] "The Worshipper of the Image" Le Galliene-annise

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
HollyMcGuire

Post by HollyMcGuire »

The Worshipper of the Image by Richard Le Galliene (1866 - 1947).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-worshipper-of-the-image-by-richard-le-gallienne/

"To love, not the literal beloved, but the purified stainless image of her,—surely this would be to ascend into the region of spiritual love, a love unhampered and untainted by the earth." (Richard Le Galliene)

"The Worshipper of the Image," by Richard Le Galliene first published in 1900. The protagonist Antony, a poet, buys a death mask in an antique shop and soon realizes it resembles his wife Beatrice. The death mask, Antony names "Silencieux," becomes an all consuming fetish and drives Antony from his once beloved family. Silencieux also drives Antony quite insane as he is willing to give his soul to be with her." (Holly McGuire)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/files/10812/10812-h/10812-h.htm
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): wordperfect

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Project Code: EO18ozw2
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Richard le Gallienne) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Le_Gallienne
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): None
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 23
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
    • Original publication date (if known): 1900
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Holly McGuire Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

============================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Myths, Legends & Fairy Tales

Keywords that describe the book: tragedy, fairy tale, fetish, obsession, death mask, forbidden love, british authors, LibriVox

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Worshipper of the Image by Richard Le Galliene. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Worshipper of the Image by Richard Le Galliene, [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Worshipper of the Image by Richard Le Galliene This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Worshipper of the Image by Richard Le Galliene, by Richard le Gallienne. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename worshipperimage_##_legallienne_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. worshipperimage_01_legallienne_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Richard le Gallienne
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: The Worshipper of the Image by Richard Le Galliene

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: annise-Annise
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by HollyMcGuire on January 16th, 2014, 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Template looks good Holly, I just shortened your file name a bit and added the 128kb which has not made the template yet

You do need at the very least do the "i minute test" as in your welcome email.
If you want your solo to be great, it would be better for you to contribute to something in readers wanted as well - a poem, a chapter in a book, something that interests you is best, just to get yourself organised.

Anne
WoollyBee

Post by WoollyBee »

Welcome to LibriVox, Holly! Here is the link to the information about the 1-Minute Test if you don't have your welcome email anymore: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It's OK Sarah - Holly has someone helping her with this, I'm just not sure how much

Holly -I'm not sure how much help you are getting - if Bob is helping you with setting up and getting started you can ignore my post but if he just wants to help you with the reading part please do the test :D
Let us know.

Anne
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Hi, Anne!

I'd like Holly to get the full LibriVox experience for this independent study, so feel free to advise her as you would any other newbie. I'd like to wait for someone to volunteer to proof-listen, if possible. I will have some sessions with her to help with Audacity and recording (she has a Samson Go-Mic, so the quality should be fine), but I also advised her to ask for help on the forums if I am not able to get with her quickly enough. Like you suggest, I think she should do a poem or a chapter in a book, whatever she finds more interesting.

Thanks so much for welcoming and advising Holly in your usually gracious way. I look forward to this project.

Bob
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

THanks for explaining Bob - I'm happy to MC it for her - I just like to see soloists happy with their first solos - both for their sake and ours :D . And redoing the first chapter a number of times to get fiddly things right is very unrewarding for them :( . Test files are the way to go really (they are NOT auditions, more a sound check :D )

Anne
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

So glad you are doing this, Holly. You may be interested to read the following article which first made me aware of this novella: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24534069

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
HollyMcGuire

Post by HollyMcGuire »

Thank you all for responding so quickly. I haven't found a place where I can reply to you individually, so I'll address all in this post.

To clarify before I get in to far, the book Title is "The Worshipper of the Image," not "Images"

Ruth, it was you that suggested "The Worshipper of the Image," correct? Thank you for such a wonderful suggestion. I'm looking forward to reading it for LV. I've saved the article you sent and intend to use it as source material for my Independent Study with Bob who, as you know, will be mentoring me through this project.

Anne, thank you for responding so quickly. I'm not sure what you mean by "added the 128kb which has not made the template yet." Is there something more that I need to do on my end?

Sarah, thank you for coming on board as my PL. I too am a swimmer, but have not competed in a long time. I know how grueling training is. All three of my nieces are swimmers too. I suppose they inherited that from me, as my brother can swim, but he doesn't care too! Good luck with your training and your meet!

To all concerned about the 1 minute test...I'll be happy to do it along with a poetry reading. I'll be doing both over the weekend.

I'm looking forward to working with and becoming friends with you all.

Holly
HollyMcGuire

Post by HollyMcGuire »

Hi Anne,

I met with Bob today. He wants me to change the number of sections to 3. The chapters in this book are short and he would prefer that I combine them in larger groups.

Is that something I can do or do you have to do it?

Holly
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

When you are ready to start , I'll get you editing access to the MW - but for the moment I have done it - and put a sample idea for the title field for the section, I just made up the numbers - and you don't have to use Roman ones.
And we will need to tweak the into outro that you read - it is set up for 1 chapter per file but let's leave that for a bit too

Anne
HollyMcGuire

Post by HollyMcGuire »

Anne,
Thank you for taking care of this. Who or what's "the MW?"
Holly
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It's the database interface - known as the Magic Window - MW for short. (the new bit in your first post )
You will be responsible for editing it - it isn't that difficult but the soloist runs their own project - I am just here to set it up and catalogue it , and also to help people find out how to do it :D
Only you and your proof listener have access - and all the admins

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

In case you want to start - but getting your recording right is top priority I believe
Detailed Instructions for accessing the Magic Window can be found in the document linked below:Instructions for BCs and DPLs
A video showing how to use the Magic Window (read the above document first - it has the information on how to log in for the first time, which these do not have): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOP4tcr1kl8
VanOs12

Post by VanOs12 »

Hi, I'd like to volunteer to be the DPL on this project.

Arie
Cheers
HollyMcGuire

Post by HollyMcGuire »

Arie,
Thank you for volunteering to be my DPL. My project with Bob Gonzalez has finally been approved by all of the powers that be at the University of Tampa. What that means: I now have more time to devote to this recording since I was able to drop a class and replace it with this project. I'm excited to get started. Poetry recording is on the way. Let's do this thing! :D
Holly
Last edited by HollyMcGuire on January 24th, 2014, 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.