[COMPLETE] First World War Centenary Collections-ruthieg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
carolb

Post by carolb »

Hello Ruth and MaryAnn,

Here's some Christmas Pudding for you:

https://librivox.org/uploads/ruthieg/wwi_thatchristmaspuddingarmistice_heath_cb_128kb.mp3

Duration - 7:15

Please let me know if my treatment of the blanks is not acceptable - I'm not in favour of coughing
Also, it all sounds very odd to me. I had to buy a new computer in between recording and editing
and if I don't manage to get the sound right I shall be scrambling over to Listeners & Editors :cry:

Thank you both,

Carol
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Winston: Thank you. Avery moving little poem. PL OK.

Leni: I have PLed the first of yours: PL OK and sounds wonderful, though I understood not a word :oops:.

Carol: Thank you. I was only conscious of one spot where I thought you might have edited in a word or two on your new system. It was not obtrusive, and I only noticed because I was listening out for it.

Regarding the blanks, the first one (the cottage) is fine, but I do feel that the sense is changed somewhat in the second, as it sounds as if the whole of the British observed the 'armistice' whereas the blank indicates that it is only one regiment or brigade of the British. I think it would be more true to the original if you actually said 'applies to the -blank- on our side ' or 'applies to the (slight pause) on our side' instead of the more comprehensive 'applies to our side'. Anyone listening will realise that letters home were censored and anything sensitive would have been subjected to the black marker.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
carolb

Post by carolb »

RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Thanks, Carol. All fine now :).

Ruth
ExEmGe

Post by ExEmGe »

Here's the revised 'Frontier of civilization'

https://librivox.org/uploads/ruthieg/frontierofcivilization_kipling_rg_128kb.mp3

I've used the 'Auphonic' system that was mentioned some months ago because I'm sure it's better that the Goldwave system I've always used. Hope it's OK.

Many thanks Mary Ann and Ruthie

I'm afraid the truth is I can no longer really hear the background noises though I can see them on the trace, and there appear to be still some there, so if you do have a better noise remover Ruth please feel free to use it.

I've used Goldwave since well before Librivix started and I'm a bit doubtful about starting on the learning curve of Audacity.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Oh, bless your heart, Andy, don't worry about it too much. I perfectly understand why you wouldn't want to move from Goldwave to Audacity. I will have a look/listen, and whatever (if anything) needs doing shall be done. Listeners love your recordings, and I am so pleased that you are part of this collection :).

Ruth
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Ruth,

I think for my third piece, I'd like to read chapters 3 and 4 from here: http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/18993/pg18993.html
The History of the World War by March and Beamish.

MaryAnn
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Thank you, MaryAnn :). Added to the MW.

Ruth
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Andy: Methought that Auphonic was a little brutal to your voice, removing too much of its natural warmth, so I have done some lighter noise removal with Audacity which, I think, retains more of your voice's lovely character.

https://librivox.org/uploads/ruthieg/wwi_frontierofcivilization_kipling_am.mp3

Just upload your next as usual, and I will do the necessary :).

Ruth
ExEmGe

Post by ExEmGe »

Many thanks Ruth.
I'm not sure whether I shall do much more but if so I can see I shall have to get to grips with Audacity after all.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I'd much rather you carried on recording in your usual fine way, and not worry too much about the technicals. PMing you, Andy :).

Ruth
ExEmGe

Post by ExEmGe »

Well, many thanks Ruth and for the PM
'A Point of Detail' will be along in a few days & then I'll see what's to be done.
ExEmGe

Post by ExEmGe »

Hm.. I seem to have lost my sig. I wonder where I put it.

AhHa
Regards
Andy Minter
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Just checking in to apologize for my lack of recent activity. I have a house-guest camped out in my living room -- which happens to also be my computer room -- which does kinda-sorta interfere with LV recording. Another week or so and the household should return to normal and I'll get caught up. Thanks for the patience -- Just didn't want to look like I've dropped off the face of the earth!
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Thanks for keeping in touch, Maria. There is no hurry :).

Ruth